Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a 6th different one for the list. The one on the left.

Also....the one on the right has no holes around the perimeter for mounting. I made the frame and cut a groove around the perimeter and assembled the frame around the sign. I am thinking originally it could have had a seperate bead piece to hold the sign in the frame....???

Jim

stan-therm.jpg stan-therm2.jpg
Last edited by Mr.Wadhams; Sat Dec 08 2012 03:44 PM.

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here's mine.

php4yRFaIPM.jpg
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I think Standard used the ADV prefix on lots of different advertising items, from porcelain signs to paper items. My thermometer has the same ID number as yours, ADV 244, which I find interesting. Below is the pic of me with mine after I found it and framed it. The globe was given to me by my brother's boss, who was the Standard jobber in the area where I found the thermometer. He said I needed it as a go along piece, so I got both pieces within a week of each other. I've since found the ring for the globe. It was still screwed in a M&S 80 sitting in his work storage shed.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Mr.Wadhams
Here is a 6th different one for the list. The one on the left. I have a Red Crown Polarine one also.

Jim

Is one of these 2 simular ones harder to get than the other one?.. cool

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Okay, so here's what I know.
Here are photos of some Red Crown thermometers in situ.
In the first one, please note the Ford sign. This sign was released to Ford dealers in April 1917 (per that month's issue of The Ford Times) Later versions included "Fordson" (post-WW I tractor production) and one that includes "Lincoln" (purchased by Ford in 1922).
The second photo shows a Glascock Coca Cola cooler. Glascock obtained the rights to manufacture these coolers in 1928 or 1929.
The third shows an obviously 1920s car at the pump.
Now, as with everything else it is important to remember that once a sign, thermometer, gas pump or tire rack was put up, it did not come down because a later version was available. Also, a photo showing a car could be made any time after the car was made. So a 1920s car can easily be in a photo taken in 1933 or 1935 or during WW II or last week for that matter if skillfully posed.
The rule of thumb here is: "No older than." If a photo shows a 1922 Ford Model T, the photo can be "no older than" 1922. As with our Glascock cooler, that photo is "no older than" 1929. But, the thermometer could have been tacked up in 1920 for all we know.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here's a 1925 Ford Model T at the pump.
This photo is no older than 2010 (that's when I took it, LOL)
The point being, be careful in dating photographs.
I could take this image, change it to sepia or black and white and you'd have a pretty deceptive image.
After analysis, however, the pump has a variety of SO items on it from different companies and the photo obviously wasn't taken in 1925.

Last edited by Steve in New Mex; Sun Dec 09 2012 11:15 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have never come across one of these in person. How scarce are they and what are they worth?

Thanks to this thread and being exposed to them...I'm going start looking for one.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Interesting thread.Usually we try to answer direct questions when they are asked yet no one has responded.I think many of us,myself included,won't post unless we are almost sure of what we are saying.

With that qualification in place that I'm not sure,I do think this topic deserves perhaps some reasoned speculation.I don't think any of us really know what went on with specific pieces from the early times,but I do think that comparisons to other pieces from the same era can be useful in estimating age and rarity.

Mr Wadhams,I think your sign without the holes in it may have been a part of a three piece assembly;back frame,sign sandwiched in between and a highly detailed and milled front wood facing.I say that because I have a US Tires sign that I believe to be from the 20's constructed in the same three piece assembly.

Randy,if my comparison is accepted,then the one without the holes is going to be the most scarce.I say that because it would not have taken them long to figure out that it is cheaper to put holes in a sign and screw it to a cheap frame than it is to make a highly detailed frame around each sign.

Oh,BTW Dave,scarce?In 9.0 - 9.5 condition with an orginal wood frame and good original tube,YES,I think so.Value?I don't post values on here.I'll let someone who goes to the big shows handle that one if they choose to.

Just my thoughts,nothing more.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Need to revive this great post as I recently acquired a Red Crown Thermometer and need a little help. Mine is missing the Mercury Tube (located a new replacement) but need help in how it was mounted to the sign. If anyone could post or send me pics of a close up of the back and the front of their sign I would appreciate it.

Thanks cool

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Need to get a piece of wood I believe around a 1x4 and make a groove for the tube to lay flush then it screwed on from the front. Mine are all hanging otherwise I could shoot you a picture.

Tankar #488674 Wed Oct 30 2013 08:12 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Tankar
Need to get a piece of wood I believe around a 1x4 and make a groove for the tube to lay flush then it screwed on from the front. Mine are all hanging otherwise I could shoot you a picture.

Thanks for the information. cool

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved