Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#488950 Fri Nov 01 2013 12:00 AM
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
CITIES SERVICE COMPANY

Henry Latham Doherty formed the Cities Service Company on September 2, 1910. A New York based holding company, it derived income from dividends generated by stock held in subsidiary corporations. Cities Service was designed to concentrate on public utility companies, such as natural gas, electric, and transportation firms, but quickly became involved in the burgeoning petroleum and natural gas industry. The company developed large holdings in the Mid-Continent Region as early as 1912, when it acquired the assets of Theodore N. Barnsdall, who operated primarily in Oklahoma. Two years later Cities Service began extensive works in the Kansas oil fields. Those developments resulted in the formation of the Empire Gas and Fuel Company, which was headquartered in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.

By 1918 Cities Service companies operated seven oil refineries, five of which were in Oklahoma, and were active in nine Oklahoma oil fields. During the 1920s Cities Service located three of the five pools that comprised the Greater Seminole Oil Field, and one of the company's subsidiaries, the Indian Territory Illuminating Oil Company, discovered the Oklahoma City Oil Field in 1928. Cities Service became a major American enterprise with operations across the nation and abroad. In 1940, however, federal courts ordered Cities Service to divest itself of either its public utility companies or its oil and gas firms, pursuant to the Public Utilities Holding Company Act of 1935. Because the oil and gas business was so lucrative, the company decided to separate from its more than two hundred public utility companies. The long and tedious divestiture process was completed in 1958, and the following year the Cities Service Oil Company, headquartered at Bartlesville, was formed to absorb all the oil companies owned by the original corporation.

In 1968 Cities Service moved its headquarters to Tulsa. It remained there until 1982, when it became a wholly owned subsidiary of the Occidental Petroleum Company. Occidental absorbed all the Cities Service divisions except for refining and marketing, which continued to operate under the name Citgo, with headquarters at Houston, Texas. Now under foreign ownership, Cities Service Company played a major role in the social and economic fabric of Oklahoma during most of the twentieth century, when it employed thousands and played a significant role in the state's oil and gas industry.

I got this information from the Oklahoma Historical Society.
Post them if you got them remember this thread only made possible by you the members.

Last edited by s932; Fri Nov 01 2013 12:01 AM.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A little ruff
Have yet to see another

Cities Service 001.JPG

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

I took these pictures in Dec. 1997 of this Jackson, Michigan station. Since then the station has been painted over & the paint is peeling.

Dave

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
All I got... But very happy! I bet Kevin is happy to know that Cities service is this month!

phpavsaJaAM.jpg

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Some of the items i have had ,sold my Cities collection to Maurice Campbell several years ago.I think i had over 140 different Cities cans.

my pics 069.jpg my pics 068.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve that curb sign sure is a keeper. Love anything with ACME on it, reminds me of Wile E Coyote and his schemes to get the Road Runner it always seemed to involve an ACME company device!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think Kevin should just showcase his collection and save everyone else the bother of posting - LOL!

Last edited by PlainBroke; Fri Nov 01 2013 11:10 AM.

Steve
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave - Picture looks just like the Cities Service station we had in my small town back in the early 60's. Use to pick up my daily newspapers for my paper route at that one. Talk about nostalgia!

Steve
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
bought this 2 weeks ago my 2nd cities service item besides pint oil cans
not sure if i should leave it alone or paint it

cities service.jpg

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My thoughts on these old carrying cans is that once you paint them the originality and character is gone. Clean it up and enjoy it in it's natural state.

Steve
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't have much to offer with the cities brand . They were here in se mo I know and once I had a large sign but sold it as it was pretty rough. What few things I have found are just a few rough cans . I like cities brand but its hard to find as I was told some guy in North Dakota has it all !. Hopefully that guy will post us some pictures ! Lol.

image.jpg

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Interesting Blue can , does it say Blue club motor oil?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Couple of rarer cities service pieces we have

Some other pieces

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
More

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
More

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved