Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#489469 Sat Nov 02 2013 07:37 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
This is an email I received tonight, I don't know how to respond to it. Anything I say will sound like a poor excuse, basically I just felt I can get to it tomorrow, but never had the time.

I edited out some of the words.

"Got the order. Thanks. How come you won't respond to the part of my letter with regard to the photos you agreed to search out for me?

"Tell you what Jack... I've sent multiple emails to you AFTER you told me to "Send my want list, and eventually I'll get to it." I sent follow up emails simply asking, "Did you receive my list?" I didn't care if it took 10 years for you to complete the job you committed/agreed to do... all I wanted was a simple response indicating you received my list (which you yourself requested). Ironically though, you certainly had time to process my order, whereby you make a few bucks. Just didnt' have time to respond to my other little question though, "Did you get my list?"

"Tell you what Jack... I think you no longer have interest in doing the job you've committed and agreed to do. And you know what, I'm fine with that. All you had to say was, "Joe I don't have time for that." But instead, you ignore me, except when it comes to taking my money on an order. You responded to that pretty quick. Money talks, and ***** walks, don't it... yeah, you know that motto real well.

"Congratulations Jack. You are officially "one of those guys." Guys in the hobby who ignore others when they don't want to live up to their commitment or obligation. Congratulations you are "one of those guys" who is untrustworthy and full of *****. Congratulations, you are "one of those guys" who do NOT bring integrity to our hobby. Congratulations, you are "one of those guys" who the rest of us disrespect and despise... no matter how old you are and no matter how many books you've written, and no matter what opinions and experiences you have. I don't give a rat's a.. how long you've been in the hobby and I don't give a rat's a.. how many books you've written or who you know and what you've bought and sold... to me, you lack guts, Jack. You lack guts, and you lack integrity. Hope my kids never act like you do.

"Your experiences and qualifications don't impress me. Your inability to have the guts to respond to an agreement which you yourself decided to do, disgusts me, and most of my friends in this hobby. I know guys in this hobby (and in life) who would never act like this. I know guys in this hobby who spend $150 a year on their collection and their "hobby integrity" is far richer than yours. I know you might think you know everyone in this hobby, but so do the rest of us, Jack. We talk too. We talk about the guys who don't live up to their words and we talk about the dishonest a..holes. Congratulations, you are now on that list.

"I don't give a s... how busy you've gotten or how old you've gotten or any other excuse you might squeeze from your dishonest lips. The fact is, you took the time to take my money and process my order... you certainly, over the last 6 months, could have taken the time to respond to an agreement that you yourself came up with you... "Hey Jack, did you get my list?"

"I don't respect you, Jack. I don't trust you. I don't like you. In the future when anyone who asks me, "Hey, where can I get old gas station literature from?" my response will be, "Don't get it from Jack Sim." I may not be as old as you, but my opinion in this hobby carries weight."

Incidentally, he first contacted me July 17th, not six months ago.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow, thats just flat out wrong. That person needs to grow up and have some respect….

Braden Splichal

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hi Jack ,

Did This child pay you for the service ?

Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
at this point I wouldn't.. cool

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
"Tell you what Jack...I don't think I would even try to respond to that. you're obviously never going to win with that guy. Congratulations Jack. You are officially "one of those {GOOD}guys." Guys in the hobby.

Jay Leeper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Delete the email, TRASH IT.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...and I thought my teenage kids had a warped sense of entitlement.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not that it matters, because it doesn't. But it seems like this gentleman or lady is particularly attached to their money. I say that because it seems like since they parted with it, they were expecting a lot.

While it is understandable to be frustrated, as I believe many of us would be if we felt ignored, especially when money is involved, I cannot fathom attacking someone's character when there isn't specific bad intent involved.

I would say, if you haven't rendered service, refund the man and cut your ties. If service has been rendered, I would just respond with a request to not provide service again and be done.

It's too easy to ruin a reputation in this hobby.

This is written with my understanding that he paid you for something initially. If I am misunderstanding this I apologize and am probably way off base.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
It's sad when something like this happens. Take the high road and follow Eddy's advice. Chalk it up to the guy might be having a really horrible day, week or life and just move on to other projects Jack.

Take care,
Michael

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd tell him thanks for your business please don't ask for more.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
F40LM #489490 Sat Nov 02 2013 09:02 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
I didn't want to state this in the beginning but a little more of a explanation is due.

He first asked here on OG for some information on some oil companies/service stations. Thinking I could help as I have a ton of service station pictures. It turned out the stations were from the 70s. I'm from the old school, thinking by the 70s convenience stores were starting to appear, oil companies were closing stations, not opening them. Not much info is available, but I would give it a try, most of my info is pre WWII.

I never said anything about money, his reference to a payment is for something he ordered and received, Cindy handled it, I don't even know what he ordered.

Going to concentrate on gas pumps and air meters, I know where all that info is.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
All I can Say is Jack is a Class Guy

Stand Tall Jack , Keep doing what you have been doing we all want to Thank You !

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, if its bothering you, and you did just dust him off cuz you were to busy or whatever, you might just try to apologize for inadvertently hurting the guys feelings. I'm not saying you did or didnt do anything "wrong". I TRY to sweep my side of the street, not theirs. If you honestly never saw the requests just let him know that, and if he cant accept that then just delete and move on.

JimT #489511 Sat Nov 02 2013 11:33 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Thanks guys,

I deleted the email and as most of you have said, it is time to move on.

Jack

JimT #489512 Sat Nov 02 2013 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I may comment I would like to. I think that was very rude and disrespectful Is what I think, and totally out of line . Maybe it's a misunderstanding on his part and he reconciles , it doesn't sound like he will , if i remember you were in the Korean war as well , not to get this off track but that a heck of a way to respect one that served our country . I hope that people like this don't turn you off to the younger guys like myself that do respect you and all that you have done for our hobby .If he doesn't I would delete his stuff as well . My grandfather is about your age Jack and would still plant his boot in my hind end if I ever acted that way .Just sounds like he didn't have a good old fashioned upbringing . Oh well his loss! By the way Mr Sim since you don't get Pm's if I see you at Colombia , can you autograph my 2nd edition gas pump book , so I can e bay for more$$ , just kidding! I would like to meet you though in January if your at Colombia . Thanks Travis.

Last edited by 47reotravis; Sun Nov 03 2013 12:24 AM.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved