Page 1 of 2 1 2
#490064 Tue Nov 05 2013 04:41 AM
M
Mattgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Matthews Auctions has several auctions coming up. Tomorrow an online only auction.

Then November 29, 30 & Dec 1
First day we will be selling silver dollars, firearms and firearm advertising.
Second day is the collection of George Whipkey with a great Coca-Cola items, pertoliana and more.
Third is Gas pumps including a Roman Column, barber shop items and wooden signs.

Up coming Matthews Auctions on Proxibid

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was just looking at the link and noted the following Information and Special Terms.

Information & Special Terms
PLEASE READ: At the request of the auction company, this auction permits bids to be placed by the auctioneer, an employee of the auctioneer, or the seller or an agent on the seller's behalf. While Proxibid's Unified User Agreement prohibits this behavior, in accordance with UCC 2-328, this auction is permitted to engage in this activity by providing this clear disclosure to you, the bidder.
PLEASE READ: This auction company has requested and been granted access to see all bids placed including any maximum pre-bids. This auction is permitted to engage in this activity by providing this clear disclosure to you, the bidder.
Internet Premium: 18%

After having read these disclosure statements, I'm somewhat curious to inquire; What is the purpose of requesting these special terms and engaging in these activities?

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Tue Nov 05 2013 06:11 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks, for posting the link.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Dave. the purpose it seems is to make shill bidding legal

M
Mattgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
All I will tell you if you don't trust me don't bid, it doesn't get much easier than that does it. Dan

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Mattgas
All I will tell you if you don't trust me don't bid, it doesn't get much easier than that does it. Dan

I don't know you or have any reason not to trust you- but I won't be bidding on any auction with those terms.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dan is honest! My friend set a max bid online and ended up going to the auction and forgot he had placed one online. Dan stopped the auction backed up the price when he notice that my friend was bidding his self up. Dan calls out the repo's how many auction companies don't.
Chad Duncan

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Dan:
You just keep coming up with this great stuff. Nice items, almost wish I had a place close to you and a rich uncle. I can't imagine driving back to Portland in the snow, reminds me of Planes, trains, and automobiles. With my luck it would work out just about the same way.
Good luck with all the stuff.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Dan:
You just keep coming up with this great stuff. Nice items, almost wish I had a place close to you and a rich uncle. I can't imagine driving back to Portland in the snow, reminds me of Planes, trains, and automobiles. With my luck it would work out just about the same way.
Good luck with all the stuff.

I'd bet my left nut this plane aint landing in Portland....

M
M
Questioning Dan Matthews and his auction company is waaaaaaaaaaay off base! If you knew him and dealt with his fine staff, you would know what a STUPID COMMENT that was made regarding Shill Bidding.

Before making negative remarks about someone and/or their company, do some real research and you might think twice about making such foolish remarks.

Dan and his Staff are top notch people who run a quality business and they do everything in their power to make sure that all the buyers are satisfied in their purchases.

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
alot of the problem with this type clause is it lets the Seller, do things they normally might not do. Makes you wonder if this why the items reach such high prices before the auction ever starts, kinda like some things that are sold on ebay.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Where else would that plane land? and by the way Matt has always been very helpful and in my mind trustworthy.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here's a simple system that works good for me at auctions, as I collect to relieve stress not create stress. It seems to work well for any auction company.

1. Preview the list. Pick out my want items and research my maximum spending price.
2. Wait for my want item and bid until I reach my maximum spending price. Who am I bidding against? Don't care.
3. Repeat step 2 until sale concludes.

Daryl
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Where else would that plane land? and by the way Matt has always been very helpful and in my mind trustworthy.

Sorry - its from Planes Trains and Autombiles.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd5dYQHoZS0 (at the very end).

FWIW - I have had good (limited) experience with Matthews - but I do question the need for this policy and wish some one could explain why it is necessary.

I would like some assurance that I can bid maximum beforehand and that the sales price will not go to that maximum unless there is another legitimate bidder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved