Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#490545 Thu Nov 07 2013 11:49 AM
Tokheim Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This was posted on another Petro Site. Wanted to spread the word to those in the hobby to keep en eye out for these signs.
Thieves = Bad.
Buying stolen merch. = Bad.
Reward = Good.
Getting property back to rightful owner = Ideal
---------------------------------------------------------
STOLEN - 5 SIGNS & counting - $1,000 REWARD
-
We recently discovered a sign missing from our displays in Springfield Antique Center located at on the SE corner of Rt 41 and I-70 exit# 59, where we have had a booth since 1997.

On 10/15/13, I had noticed someone moved the Shellane porcelain sign to a midpoint where two signs were located. Had to ask the desk what they sold; they hadn't.
As I take complete photos most every visit, of everything I own and have in the antique malls, I discovered my rough Fincks Overall sign was missing.

After having the mall do computer searches on other vendors accounts where it might have been sold, etc, - all to no avail - I went through past photos to determine it was stolen sometime 9/18-10/15/2013.

Back to the mall on 11/1/2013, I further positively identitfy two more signs missing since the previous visit 10/15.

Since last weekend, I've confirmed two more missing signs.

None of the employees remember anyone moving or taking or selling any of the signs.

The Clark County Sheriff's Dept is involved; we spent 1-1/2 hours with a deputy at the mall on Sunday, followed by more time with their detective division on Monday.

I'm matching past photos taken to find items not in the mall that don't show up on the sales sheets.
Below are the five I've currently identitfied as being stolen, with a few comments of my own.
I still have alot to review.

If you know of any of these signs showing up at swaps, shows, auctions, or in someone else's collection, please call or email me at bettin@bright.net.
If you need better photos of any items, let me know. If someone has tried to solicit any of these signs to you or someone you know, please contact me.
Don't hesitate to share this information with other collectors.

Flyers are going to auctioneers, and collectors nationwide; PCM will have coverage of the specific signs so they can be identified. We also submitting to several antique journals, etc.

I suspect there will be more missing signs as I pour thru photos.
Here are the five:

1. I have to question how this almost perfect Pennzoil curbstand could be stolen from the mall with no one seeing it done.

2. Notice where the Finck's Overall sign is mounted above the showcase, and how in the other photo, someone has moved the Shellane sign to the left, so the blank wall space wouldn't be as noticable. Every mall employee said they did not move the Shell sign.
Can we really believe a thief (if from the outside?) would take the time to move the Shell sign to make it look less noticable?
The sign could not be moved without a step ladder to reach it.

3. The NevrNox sign was screwed into the wall with drywall screws thru washers; they had to be unscrewed to pull the sign down. Further, the ceiling line is more than 10-feet aff, so someone had to be on a ladder pulling screws 9-foot off the floor. A hand screw driver would have taken a long time. Reason would dictate some employee would have heard a screw gun or seen a person on the ladder - NO-ONE did according to employees and management. Also the ladders are stored at the opposite end of the mall which supposedly has security systems, alarms, etc.
This also seems to speak to an inside job - employee or vendor or someone who knows them.

4. This National Credit Card sign was on the front of post 4, right down aisle 3 from the lobby and cash register area; it's the most visible location in the mall. The sign was firmly screwed to the wood post with long wood screws thru washers.

5. I suspect the Atlantic sign was taken in the 10/15-11/1/2013 period, as it's location is on the side of post 5, very near the National Credit Card sign. However, I didn't have newer photos showing the specific sign, and must confine date ranges based on me photos proving dates.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I myself think it was an inside job. I know some employees don't pay attention like they should sometimes but a person getting a ladder out to take down a sign will get someone's attention.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
I myself think it was an inside job. I know some employees don't pay attention like they should sometimes but a person getting a ladder out to take down a sign will get someone's attention.

exactly my thoughts.. cool

RANDY
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I also agree with Wes, this is a large mall however Rons booth is very near the entrance but around a corner. NO ONE, other then an inside person, could pull this off....ladder and or walk away with a heavy curb sign.
INSIDE JOB
Ray

Most of those signs are screwed to the walls? How can somebody enter a antique mall, unscrew multiple signs from the walls (at least one needed a ladder) and walk off with the loot??

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I got this email from Ron yesterday and didn't need to read past the curb sign being stolen to immediately think it's an inside job. I've been to this mall and although it's big, there's just no way these items were stolen by a general walk through shopper IMO. I hope they start interrogating the employees as one (or more) of them just have to be the culprit.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Security cameras ? The mall should have insurance also. These weren't "smalls" taken out of a display case. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Unless there are multiple entrances, or it was a 2 person team and someone asked to see inside of a case on the other end of the mall, even then, using a drill and ladder...and the items being taken so closely together. Smells fishy.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
What a shame.
Those lollipops are heavy but a really stout guy or anyone with a handtruck could move it in a minute. Without anyone seeing it tho.......
They don't have cameras there?
They should.

RIP Kiwi
C
C
Start whipping their a## one at a time you'll fine the right one.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Could have been the cleaning service if the mall has one. Hope they get whoever took them.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
They have many people walking around always watching and assisting. It is a big mall. Hard to imagine took place during open hours. What a shame.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If it was me that first time I had stuff stolen I would pack up all my stuff and go some ware else.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That would make me sick . I hope you can reclaim all your property. But I agree with everyone else , that sounds fishy .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I wonder why the antique mall hasn't written Ron a check for the items...obviously they don't have a record of their sale, or records of Ron (or someone in Ron's employ) removing the signs...why is it his problem to locate them? do they not have security cameras/insurance?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved