Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#49376 Tue Feb 06 2007 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
My collection of gas and oil related items is quite small, but is very important to me. I make sure that my doors are locked both on the house and the garage. I felt that I was fairly safe, until today that is and I read the following website. www.tlarson.com/blog
Scroll down and read about bump keys. I hadn't seen any info on them but now I see that there has been a series of articles about how someone in 15 minutes on the internet can open any lock that is pin and tumbler WITH NO SPECIAL TOOLS!
Thought that others might be as interested as I have become.
Bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...well, that's wonderful...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bumping and Shimming... Yea it is real easy.

That is why you need an alarm system.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

I called ADT just for that reason, stupid cheap, 210 dollars every six months and its watched over by adt. Alarms cant stop theives, but are good deturrants.

Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
This serves to illustrate that collectors with a significant investment need ALL the following...

1. Good locks
2. Alarm system
3. Collectibles insurance policy

Yes, a determined thief can get through any lock or security system but the insurance policy is your ultimate safety net.

Paul

O
O
A "bump key" may get someone in......but Minnie and LuLu won`t let them out, LOL!
As a reward, they get to eat whatever they catch!

------------------
Too many toys, not enough play-time!

Too many toys, not enough play-time!
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I run a major contract hardware house with a full lock shop, Travis is correct regarding bumping, shimming or even picking a lock, most are typically very easy but it does take patients and lots of practice to become any good at it. It has been my experience that most "crooks" use the "boot" method which typically works every time. My point is....dont hesitate to install an alarm system to protect your property, monitered or stand alone.....it's the only way to go ! and is relatively inexpensive. If you look back at some previous shoptalk, there was some good input from people regarding values & insurance ! this is also a "must have" to protect your investment(s)..... Z

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Here in Vermont we use an old system called shotgun.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
G
G
Here in Michigan, we use shotguns and dogs to deter anyone from leaving once they have broken in!!!

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Vermonter, I agree, that's probably the best security system on the market....only one downfall.....you got to stay home all the time ! :-) Z

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
shimming.... give me a credit card and i will open your door !!... done it several times when i locked myself out. takes less than 20 seconds. deadbolts are the best way to go. of course alarm and insurance will prove good security and compensation. so would smith and wesson.... but only if you are home.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I do service work and new plumbing....sometimes to get in...I just have to use my Master key....Library card drivers license ,etc. as long as the deadbolt isn't locked.
I do not display my most treasured peices.
If they get gone...you will never see them again
Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seems to me all you'd have to do is bust a window-no?Cut some wires- snip snip.All I'm saying is if theres a crook on a mission a lock wont stop him anyway. Kinda scary when you think about it alot. You know strangers that see your stuff delivery guys- friends friends -word of mouth -whatever.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is the advantage of collecting gas pumps, alot harder to steal

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As far as gas/oil stuff, we are assuming the theives have the same interest and knowledge of the stuff that we do. The vast majority of theives are looking for three things: 1. jewelry 2. cash 3. guns. They go first to the bedroom and are looking for stuff to fence for cash and to get out as quick as possible.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Someone broke into my friends garage. Stole a cheap stereo out of the car and didn't touch the globes or signs.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I'm glad to hear that thieves haven't gotten into taking signs and such where everyone lives. Here the Meth heads take anything they can sell, especially anything metal including signs. In fact last night a local news in Portland,OR did a bit about metal recyclers in the Portland area. The news people got some donated signs from the State and took them to the recyclers, one company wanted proof that the signs weren't stolen, a second company took the signs. The guy who bought the signs said that they were probaby stolen but didn't care. The problem has gotten so bad here that the State of WA is considering making it manditory that anyone bring in metal not get paid cash and to have to wait 30 days to get the money. PGE, a large electic utility, spokesman said that they had over a Million dollars worth of cable stolen from them last year. A meth head doesn't care about how much a collection is worth, if it has something he can sell or trade it belongs to him. Oh, using the things I learned on the bumping site, I was able to "beat" my deadlock in less than 5 minutes yesterday, a rude awaking to say the least. Just something to think about.
Bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Bob, maybe it's just in Washington State ? scary thought......but your right ! it's been my experience that they will take anything that isn't nailed down ! Z

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Now I read theives are stealing catalytic converters off cars for the platinum and other precious metals in them. Scrap is turning into gold...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Interesting topic. I just ordered an alarm system, reading that article confirms in my mind it was a wise thing to do. It's all wireless with enough power to do the shop and the house. We live in the country so any deterrant is a good one. Just can't be too careful these days.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When I was doing the antique show here in Atlanta....Dealers were being "hit" while someone KNEW they were out of state doing a show.
Sometimes info....such as where one might be at a certain time comes up here regularly....Showing off your collection,
The city you live in, are all things that can make you a target....
If you are targeted ....It only takes a couple of minutes to get in. a minute to find the best piece in a displayed collection
and another minute to flee.5 min. tops

How long does it take for the POLICE to get to your house????
Smash and grab crimes are the hardest to catch and the thieves know this.Just remember this....prison has the stupid criminals there...the smart ones don't get caught....and once it is gone you will never see it again

Here is another you should know......I am sure I am not the only one this has happened to either....
I lost all my equipment...sandblaster,compressor,sanders ,
signs, add glass,computer rebuilding eqipment,parts,Texaco planes,Amoco planes,...almost all my "toys" .
My wife at the time disposed of it all, when we went through a divorce....It was all
pre-marital property....and when the matter came up in court the judge said
"If the stuff is gone it's gone".....I lost
$20,000.00 of stuff....legally.... I could have appealed, but there is a good ol boy judicial system here.....ouch !! Would it please the court to use some lube???? My attourney said she would never take another case in Carroll county...She said the judges didn't "play fair"...I agree.
Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
L
L
It sounds to me like the best thing would be to have good insurance. With the smash and grab theives ( for ex.), even with an alarm system they'll be gone long before the police show up. For us living out in the country, the 'neighborhood watch' doesn't apply..IMO

Luke
Industrial Electrician
We should all keep in mind that when we post on Shop Talk that we will be out of town at a swap meet that a bad guy might read that and get bad ideas about visiting your house while you're gone.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I had the exct same thing happpen to me, in 1998.. my ex disposed of my collection, tools, supplies, and a 1960 Impala, total value around 20K in my case too...and the judge could not be bothered to do anything about it..my attorney said that he could charge me the fees and pursure it for years thru the coutrs, but id never see a nickle back and would just continue to pay. For the Record..it was Williamson County, Texas. Justice indeed.

Robert Usrey
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved