Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#493742 Sat Nov 23 2013 12:34 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
1937 GMC #493764 Sat Nov 23 2013 02:40 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Add some neon to a $1500 sign and then it's worth $7500? I guess this also ruins the other side of an original double sided sign.

Shotzy13 #493769 Sat Nov 23 2013 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It might be just my personal feelings, but I really hate it when they do that to a sign with the intention of adding value. Too bad!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #493773 Sat Nov 23 2013 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
It might be just my personal feelings, but I really hate it when they do that to a sign with the intention of adding value. Too bad!

Agree

Follow the Red Indian Trail
redindianguy #493784 Sat Nov 23 2013 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
just my personal feelings but i think they are beautiful and a work of art....i know this has been gone over before but i just don't understand how these same people think its perfecly fine for them to replace evey nut, bolt, screw, paint, sheet metal,put a repo globe on it and life is good....but add neon to your sign, WOW now thats a problem LOL....also no problem that there restored sign is not even close to original or their neon clocks that are completely re-done with fantasy or repo faces, no problem there huh?? ...How about your collectible cars?? have you ever did ANYTHING to them to make them worth more money (GOD forbid, i hope not) cause there are haters that will hate you for that ...i try hard not to be a hater and like to live and let live............Before you remove the mote from your brother's eye, see that you remove the beam from your own!!

Last edited by roadrelics; Sat Nov 23 2013 05:35 PM.
roadrelics #493792 Sat Nov 23 2013 05:45 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I see everyone's point but I think the simplicity of what a sign is lends itself to just being left alone. Roadrelics, you are comparing a one dimensional flat item meant to be looked at to mechanical items that NEED parts and things done to them to make them function. Adding neon to an already nice sign is unnecessary.

jbrooks #493800 Sat Nov 23 2013 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the first thing most guys do is remove the mechanical items (the guts)so its lighter.......what is unnecessary to you maybe necessary to others...i personnaly know this seller from Texas and he is a good hardworking honest guy..

roadrelics #493843 Sat Nov 23 2013 07:47 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Roadrelics, I am not judging you or your friend, you are probably both very nice guys, I am just saying I disagree with your comparison. I, like many others like things the way they were intended to be. So, a pump that was supposed to have a globe I would try to restore with a globe and to avoid spending a fortune, a repop is an option. As for you mentioning a car, they are supposed to run and drive, so if you can't find an original part you may have to buy an aftermarket part to make it run and drive.

Comparing these things to taking a beautiful original sign and adding neon that was never intended to be on this sign is just something a lot of people feel was the wrong way to go.

jbrooks #493855 Sat Nov 23 2013 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As you look at the number of pops on that sign, what do you really think the value would have been had it been left alone and sold as is? There would have been folks here railing about the price he would ask for that crappped out sign. If you try to please other people, you cannot win.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
jbrooks #493856 Sat Nov 23 2013 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i sure am not judging you either jbrooks and you are probably a nice guy as well..........I just beleive in live and let live, let us do with our property as we wish and you do with yours as you wish....just because an original 57 chevy was meant to run and drive however now it now has a 454, electric locks, windows etc.etc.etc. does not make it bad...or an original mobil gas pump is now shell with the guts gone and everything repo does not make it bad.....how is this different than taking my "beautiful original sign" and adding neon as long as its disclosed??......do you understand that this 57 was never meant to be like this?? or this pump was never meant to be this way??? who are you or anybody else to say what i do with MY property or MY sign, MY car or MY pump as long as i'm up front and honest about it.....................Please don't get me wrong here , i love original old signs to be displayed as they were meant to be,and 99.5% of my collection is this way, however other people like something totally different, as with cars, pumps, signs and even restoring an oil can......who am i to judge about what or how they want to decorate??.....so in conclusion there are a lot of other people who think its the way they want to decorate..who am I to say they are wrong or I HATE it?? like i said before, i try very hard not to be a hater and to be open minded towards others and their different ways......we will never like or agree 100% what other people do, but at least try and be open minded and not be a world or forum of haters...LIVE AND LET LIVE .....i can't say anymore about this subject except , live and let live and.......AGAIN, Before you remove the mote from your brother's eye, see that you remove the beam from your own!!..................OH i forgot to add, when it comes to liars, cheaters and thieves, its a whole different story.........

Last edited by roadrelics; Sat Nov 23 2013 09:02 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved