Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
After looking over all the info and a lot of differences in their various cans and signs I am not convinced that the sign in question is not right. Also the little vote in
another thread isn't overwhelming to me. I'm sticking with my original thoughts, it's real to me.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am not a Oilzum collector but something makes me not like this sign for some reason. My opinion is to steer clear because it seems like no one knows the answer. With the market getting stronger more fakes will be entered into it as the demand for this stuff is high. Read Scott's post.

Cool sign but i would put my cash into the sign.
It seems like questionable signs are hard to sell unless you are trying to pull the wool over someones eyes on eBay.

Just my opinion. Not saying Real or fantasy, just buyer beware. Wish i could see where it was used. Looks like a tin tacker for a building but who knows.

Good luck

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: thermoman
The sign is a phony. Anyone who gets out and fondles, touches, molests, kisses, hugs and gawks at advertising will tell you its fake. Get out from behind the computer and go out and touch a sign this weekend. Pick it up ask questions, compare and learn. It doesn't happen overnight or even in 5 years. It is easy for the veterans to tell.

I think this post says it best.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I am usually a good judge of the items I buy. this one stumped me , the guy I bought if from said he would return my money if it was a fake. im glad this was put up for discussion, for future reference not only for me but the entire old gas community. still no concrete evidence one way or the other. thanks to all who weighed in on this post. not sure at this point what I will do with it. more than likely I will return it.

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not to be contentious at all, but it evidently is no longer easy for the veterans to tell as is evidenced by this continuing saga. I do like to think that I've handled enough signs over the past 20 years to tell an original when it is in my own hands, but over the past couple of years we have had those far more experienced than I to admit that they have bought fake signs "in hand." In the past we have based authenticity many times on opinions of those experienced, but as more and different items appear, sometimes the answer is not going to be known without hard, documented evidence.This continuing saga is proof of that.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
[Insert smilie icon banging head on wall here]

Attention readers of this thread in the future archives:

THE SIGN PICTURED IN THE ORIGINAL POST IS NOT LEGIT, IT IS A FANTASY CREATION THAT WAS NEVER IN USE.

Forget jawlines, fonts, Oswalds five o'clock shadow, unrelated magazine ads, grandpas stories and anything else thrown in to muddy the waters.

Anyone voting in a poll that this PHONY sign is real has one (or more) they want to pawn off on an unsuspecting buyer, is deluded, or just wants to stir up controversy.

Tim, if seller is offering your money back, take it and be grateful. As an unmarked fantasy though, someone else will end up with it later on. Just curious, is seller a poster on this forum?

I hereby offer $50.00 US dollars to the first person that provides me with a bonafide photograph of the sign in actual use.

Thank you Jim for the use of this forum to educate collectors on fraudulent signs that are out there on the market meant to deceive folks. This particular sign has been known to Oilzum collectors for some time. Thanks to the many who don't want to be in the fray but have contacted me off the site and thanked me for speaking up and taking the arrows.

Now I'll patiently await that photograph.
[ insert smilie icons of crickets ]

Last edited by MetroPetro; Sat Oct 26 2013 08:46 AM.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thank you Ed for your educated factual knowledge on this sign.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I often wonder if sometimes, we as collectors, let a few pieces of petroliana fall through the cracks, so to speak, because we think a piece is a repop or fantasy piece because the piece doesn't seem right or have never seen another one before. I think the majority of the time, we get it right but also think there are pieces out there we have never seen. Maybe some Mom & Pop or small advertising company made a few things for these gas/oil companies on a trial basis to see if they could get some market share. Its entirely possible!?!...... If I had to make an educated guess on the sign without seeing it in person, I would say it is a real sign based on the size and subject content (HD Motor Oil). It would be an ideal size for an Oilzum oil rack.

Jason Howard
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
For what it's worth...there was this exact sign on Ebay this month. It was 800 OBO and sold for around 400.00 range. 161153249233. That was marked AM sign co lynchberg Va with a date. Same sign just got posted today which also has same makers mark and dates....I assume there may have been dated copies??? Anyone want to weigh in?

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Someone got burned.... Sign is clearly a fake.. What a shame!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am sure they are fake...about four years ago I saw many of these for sale on the 127 sale for $50 each...just because a sign is marked am Lynchburg does not mean it is right (most are)... fakes include this one...the slow down sunbeam school signs...fake shell DST reflective signs etc.

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Sure glad I only collected Texaco and related. Just way too much BS out there for me. Thanks Erol Tuzcu & Keith J.(Puretex)...

Doug

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved