Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#494752 Wed Nov 27 2013 01:35 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I wanted to share a few photos of a cart I built to assist with moving pumps around the garage. I built 8 of them from one sheet of plywood, so its pretty cheap as well. Essentially its a furniture dolly, but with the right dimensions and strength to accommodate a pump. Now pulling pumps out to work on them is a easier and makes it more difficult to scratch a freshly painted base. I used a sheet of 7/8" plywood covered with outdoor/ marine carpet.

Always looking for Red Indian Tins, McColl Frontenac, McColl Bros., Buffalo (prarie cities oil co), Stellarene and other western canadian tins.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I also start my pump restoration on a dolly like the ones you make. I buy the small Harbor Freight dollys ($8.00) and remove the casters ($2.00 per caster) and mount them on thick plywood also. I found that it was easier the mount the carpet around the corners if I rounded the corners of the plywood.

Dennis

Gas Pumps, Farmall tractors and 1968 Chevrolet Impalas
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
nice Dennis. I had the router out already and then decided not to round them at the last minute. As long as you have bendable carpet, square edges seem to work well. I like your idea of getting cheaper casters. I paid $6 each for the ones pictured but they're rated at 500lbs each... so a pump shouldnt fall through, lol. Two of them also have brakes, so your pump won't go sailing down the driveway if you're working outside in the summer.

Always looking for Red Indian Tins, McColl Frontenac, McColl Bros., Buffalo (prarie cities oil co), Stellarene and other western canadian tins.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looks good Chris. Now you just need what another three or is it four 4 x 8 sheets cut up to move all of your pumps around? Is a double visible going to fit on that? Cheers, Don.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nice work Chris now you have to get at least 20 more done for the rest of your treasures. Good job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
We had to make wide ones, for the taller the pump, they are more apt to wobble. Using small casters was not the answer either on all but smooth surfaces.

Craig
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
The first thing I would do if I had any of those cheap dollies is throw away the casters and go buy some top quality heavy duty large diameter US Made casters. I can't stand dealing with those cheap junk casters..... Nice work on the platforms.... If you want the ULTIMATE in 4 wheel flat dollies look at Snap-Loc.
They are heavy duty molded plastic with rubber tread plate for anti skid, top quality casters, and integral E track fittings to strap the load to the cart.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have a pallet jack that has a 30 inch lift. I use it when working on pumps. So nice to raise the pump up so I can sit in a chair and work on the base. I don't know about you guy but, I find I don't get up off the floor as easy as I used too.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved