Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49622 Wed Nov 06 2002 09:13 PM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have found a Tokheim 300 and a Wayne 505 that have be abandoned alongside a creek. The property owner gave both pumps to me and I have removed the Tokheim 300 (with much effort). The Wayne is still there and is even more of a problem to get. The pump is standing and a 6 inch diameter tree has grown up through the bottom of the pump and out the lower door. It has also grown around and over some of the pump mechanisms while the pump has sunk into the ground a few inches. The pump is missing both the upper doors, otherwise is complete and in decent shape. My question is this is a newer less attractive pump and is it worth the effort it is going to take to get it?? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#49623 Wed Nov 06 2002 09:24 PM
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
Keith, can you put some pic on line , a picture of this pump could be worth a 1000 words,I have always been for the under dog ,It sounds like this pump dosen't stand a chance, bottom line if you like the pump get it out of there. Chris

Chris Holt
#49624 Wed Nov 06 2002 10:06 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Take a chainsaw and your tool box down there and save that pump. Might take a whole Saturday, but its only sweat. Don't look at it for what its worth now, but what it will be worth to you when you finish restoring it. Besides, no pump deserves to die that way.

#49625 Wed Nov 06 2002 10:25 PM
Online Cool
Take a picture of this pump before you extract it, even if you decide not to take it out. This is an unusual situation that we'd all be very interested to see. I'll help get the picture on this site if you can get a photo.

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#49626 Wed Nov 06 2002 11:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes!!!!! take a picture of the pump BEFORE you remove it.. The pump is not worth much,{mabey $150-200.00} but they do make nice restored, or trade/sell pumps.If you do get it, I have all the parts you need to make it complete,[ I have 6 of them] 3 of them parts pumps.. Good luck, Frank..

#49627 Thu Nov 07 2002 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What a GREAT pump to restore and then have "Before" and "After" pictures displayed along side of it! I would even consider using parts of the tree to make the picture frame!!!

Around here(Minnesota) that pump typically sells for around $250-350. Ron Scobie http://www.gaspump.com

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
#49628 Thu Nov 07 2002 07:43 AM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks guys. I will try to get a picture of it and get it out of there this weekend as I work during the week and it is dark at night. Nice to hear everyones opinions.

Keith

#49629 Thu Nov 07 2002 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The story alone is worth the effort! I once found a pump next to an abandoned gas station in a little town in Nebr.across the Wyo. state line. After several hours of searching, I finally found the owner at an auction house. After the auction, he took me to the old station to remove the pump. A lube bay had been built right next to the pump after the pump had been installed. Because of the new wall, we couldn't get enough room to get a wrench inside the pump inspection door to unhook the pump from the pipe leading to the storage tank. So....at 10PM he decided to "torch" the pipe loose! I'm thinking "major explosion", but he's thinking that it's been closed for so many years, there couldn't be anything left to explode. After asking him where the nearest hospital was, so I could take his body, I backed out to the street, and he lit the cutting torch. He survived, I got the pump, and a great memory and story!
Go for it!

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#49630 Thu Nov 07 2002 04:44 PM
G
gam Offline
G
Great story, needs a pic. My neighbor is an excavator that comes across all sorts of stuff. One day I come home to a Wayne 500 in my driveway. I did a quick restoration and it's in front of my garage.

I help the same guy clean out a 40' trailer he owns. Inside is a set of heads for a 392 Hemi, a M&S 80, and a gravestone. He kept the gravestone and the heads, I got the pump.

This summer. I'm checking out an abandonded dump (40 plus years) my dad told me about, looking for old bottles. I spot what appears to be an old water heater, roll it over and discover a Wayne 480! It is on state land and the DNR is happy to let me have it. It is halfway down a steep hill and it takes all our pickup can handle to get it out. It's very rough so it will only get a cosmetic restoration. But hey, at least it is saved.

Last, we have new neighbors. He has several cool cars and a couple of old gas pumps. He owns a body shop. Guess who's painting my pumps when they are ready? Is this a great country or what?

GAM

#49631 Sat Nov 09 2002 09:00 PM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well I went out today and got the Wayne 505. Took along an ax, spade, tree saw and my brother. We looked at the pump and realized the tree had grown through a hole in the bottom bracket of the pump and the tree was wider under and over the hole it grew through. We thought BIG TROUBLE! First we had to dig out the front and back side which was about 5-6 inches in the ground. Then we sawed off the top of the tree as low as we could. Turns out the tree was only about a 3 inch diameter not 6 like I said before. Anyway, we start rocking the pump to see if it is loose and to see if we can get under it at all to cut or chop the roots off. As we are rocking the pump it keeps getting looser and looser and suddenly we hear a pop and the pump falls over. The tree busted off under the pump and was free. Apparently the tree was dead. Only ended up taking about a half hour but a two foot piece of the tree is still inside. It will stay there for now until we decide what to do with the pump. Pictures should be posted soon. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and great stories. Keep them coming!!!

#49632 Mon Nov 11 2002 10:12 AM
Online Cool
Here are the pictures.

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing them!

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#49633 Mon Nov 11 2002 05:27 PM
K
K
Great Pix. Looks like the pump is in pretty good restorable condition.

#49634 Mon Nov 11 2002 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think I would leave a piece of the tree inside, if it's not in the way of the door closing.
Dick

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved