Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can refuse delivery from UPS or the post office, Simply say, I did not order this item and it gets returned.

I had a 42" sign trade going on, The reciever opened my package slid his 42" sign in and called UPS and said he did not order package. It was returned to me with another $100. charge. The other party did pay the $100. when he found out I was charged.

I have a PO Box and when getting my mail I am always seeing people refuse packages, they just stamp "return to sender" and its done.

Didn't Elvis sing about that.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By: KZ1000

I had a 42" sign trade going on, The reciever opened my package slid his 42" sign in and called UPS and said he did not order package. It was returned to me with another $100. charge. The other party did pay the $100. when he found out I was charged.

I still feel about an inch tall for that mistake. I never called UPS however. No BS....it was the delivery driver that told me there wouldn't be a return charge & even watched me switch them. Those were the largest signs I ever dealt with shipping. Rushed into it head first & ate it hard because I didn't do My own research. That was the first & last time.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ryan, thanks for posting the UPS return info. I guess the best way to work the UPS return system is to make sure your aren't there when they deliver a package that you might want to return. That way, you will have five days to decide whether or not you want to keep it and then, as long as its not damaged and in the original packaging, you can call them and say you refuse shipment and send it back. But, if you refuse a shipment the shipping back to the seller will also be charged to said seller. Thus it cost the seller both ways. While UPS might post all of these options on their website, I've learned from experience that nothing is simple when it comes to dealing with them on any issue out of the ordinary. Just sayin....GB

jwood7 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I want to thank everyone for there help I called ebay again today after hearing so many people saying that this seemed strange. Apparently whoever talked to me yesterday did not understand what ebay procedures are for this because the new representative today told me that I do not have to pay this fee and ebay cannot make me pay this. I did report the other customer service agents who helped me yesterday because they apparently did not understand ebay protocol for this situation at all, though I doubt anything will be done to them for being very negligent. I also reported the seller because I believe this was a shady way to do business.

Again thanks to everyone who shared their story about their experiences because if it had not been for this thread I would not have made another call again today. It does not suprise me that this seller has gotten away with before considering ebay's customer service is so negligent.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Glad to hear you to it figured out. Sometimes it takes two or three calls to these big impersonal companies to get the straight scoop.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Glad it worked out, well hopefully anyhow.

I'd still like to give my 2c.

I agree with Tom 100%. You have to consider the total of how much you want to pay for your widget, bid and shipping. If your max is $400 with shipping, why should you be asked, or especially required to now pay over your max? You did your job as a buyer. The seller could have easily calculated correct shipping cost before placing the auction or informing you their shipping cost was more prior to sending the widget. If they would have done that then I would have to say it's an honest mistake and do what your conscience tells you to do. BUT, the seller made all the wrong decisions.
I often ate some on shipping costs, and always refunded over calculated charges. That was when I sold on eBay, but I don't do any more.

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Glad to hear this worked out correctly for you. In the past I have sent the seller (via PayPal) the difference if they under charged me for shipping however it never amounted to more than about $9.00. This was never prompted/demanded/asked for by the seller. Only if the deal felt right through good communication/fast shipping/well packed and undamaged item, would I do this. Anymore the shipping labels I get don't show the cost so I don't know actual shipping on these items.

Ed

Ed
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 60wayne
I agree with {Tom}
I just had this happen to me. I paid for my lesson and the sellers laziness and a lot of packing. The seller stated in the listing that the e-bay shipping cost was wrong and the buyer would pay whatever it cost. Too lazy to correct it. I should have not bid because it leaves an open contract, but I did. I won the item, I agreed the shipping of $6.15 was too low. I e-mailed the guy and said it should be under $20. Based on what others were charging for similar item it ranged from 10 to 18 dollars. I put the size and weight of a similar item I have in the postal service calculator. It came up $32 for one day air and $10.29 two day ground. I did his homework for him.
He shipped it and said the best he could find was $32, too lazy to really check. He sent an invoice threw pay pal. I paid it. Not worth the hassle for a third of the shipping cost.
I learned don't bid unless all the costs are stated up front. It means they have done their homework and if not they should take the loss.
Here is a picture of the box I received and the item. I don't doubt it cost $32 bucks to send. But what a waste. I also received a bunch of paper that is still in the box as filler.
Personally, I would prefer to pay a couple extra bucks for an item that is well packed and protected. I've had many items arrive damaged due to "bare minimum" packaging. I'll bet that item cost that seller more than that to package and send.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By: jwood7
I want to thank everyone for there help I called ebay again today after hearing so many people saying that this seemed strange. Apparently whoever talked to me yesterday did not understand what ebay procedures are for this because the new representative today told me that I do not have to pay this fee and ebay cannot make me pay this. I did report the other customer service agents who helped me yesterday because they apparently did not understand ebay protocol for this situation at all, though I doubt anything will be done to them for being very negligent. I also reported the seller because I believe this was a shady way to do business.

Again thanks to everyone who shared their story about their experiences because if it had not been for this thread I would not have made another call again today. It does not suprise me that this seller has gotten away with before considering ebay's customer service is so negligent.

This is what I would have expected in the first place. It seemed odd to me that as a buyer you could be held responsible by eBay for anything beyond the contractual agreement in the auction sale. And it's good you reported the seller, seeing as this action was "normal" for him based on feedback makes me wonder why eBay hasn't limited his selling ability.

A reasonable seller should always be as accurate as possible in shipping costs in their listings. If you're going to sell an odd shaped or larger item then establishing the box size and weight prior to the listing is critical to determining accurate shipping costs. And going out to UPS/USPS/FedEx sites and getting quotes to the most distant locations will help determine unforeseen fees like fuel surcharges or over-sized package charges.

I've ate my share of shipping differences, and when an item has been inordinately more expensive I let the buyer know and give them the choice of paying 1/2 the difference or cancelling the sale and I eat the fees involved.

Your seller is just plain shady sending the extra charge so often... hopefully eBay will take a closer look at him now.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have returned one item from UPS. The box had damage. I quickly opened the top , pulled the sign out by a foot and pushed it back in the box it was mangled. I got the driver before he left. It was a good packing job and it was clear the damage was caused by the shipper.

I e-mailed the seller and told him about the damage and that it was being returned and he would have to put in a claim against UPS. He was nice enough to offer me another but it had a small spot of damage. I could not believe he had another and excepted. It came with no problems and I was very happy with it.

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Glad this worked out for you. Was shocked when I read your original post, have been on eBay for 13 years myself and have never heard of this. I also have made a deal on EBay selling car parts and the shipping was way more than I estimated. Just had to send them anyway and eat the extra shipping. As the seller it is my job to make sure the deal is square on my end.

Over the years it seems EBay has gotten less customer friendly in my opinion.

Michael

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
The way I was brought up is if its my mistake, I pay for it. But if the seller contacted me and told me about it, I would probably pay the extra charge or at least split it with him. If it was a real hardship for the seller, he should have at least contacted you. Just common sense and the Golden Rule.
I do have to say that I have begun to ignore my parent's advice to give people the benefit of the doubt. There are way too many people like this seller seeking to take advantage of people and its hard to tell who is a crook and who just made an honest mistake. Sad reality. Glad this worked out for you and am glad you didn't back down and let him get away with it. Scumbag.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved