Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dave Richey #498844 Sun Dec 15 2013 08:57 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well I'll be. As people say you can learn something new everyday. Thanks for the information. John

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi. Yes I am slow to react to certain situations so I want to flush this out a little more. As you may know in the Showcase and Stories section there was a discussion on the Pan-Am globe.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=498124&page=1

I posted that I found it difficult to believe that the globe originated in New England as Pan-Am is a southern brand (or so I thought). MetroPetro said they did and as proof Dave Richey posted pictures of Pan-Am road map from New York State. At first blush I accepted this. However chewing on this a couple of days I still am not convinced. Having 1400 maps myself (but I must admit, no Pan-Am ones) I looked at my Amoco maps. My 20's Amoco map offered no information but my 40's map included this map of the US and what I take to be its distribution territories. So lets talk about this more.

I can see if I were living someplace (for this example areas serviced by Pan-Am) and submitted a trip request card (to the Pan American Petroleum Corporation) for maps up into New England area,PERHAPS I would be provide Pan-Am maps and not Amoco maps. Could this not be the case here? Just because a company offered maps for a particular state does that necessarily mean they marketed there? I am not so sure so lets discuss this. Thanks for reading my ramblings. John

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
At one time, Pan Am was one of the largest oil companies in the US, with marketing not only in the south (originally as Panamco during 1923 and 1924, then Pan Am from the fall of 1924 forward), but also through a subsidiary "Mexican Petroleum" using the Pan Am name in New York and New England, and using the Pan Gas brand in California. The company was purchased by Standard of Indiana in 1925 and pieces started to go different directions. First off, the California operation was sold off to Richfield in the late 1920s. Then Standard began expanding Pan Am's subsidiary American Oil, in which they purchased had minority interest in 1923. In 1933 Standard realigned the brands and Pan-Am surrendered their Mexican Petroleum subsidiary in New England, New York and northern New Jersey to American Oil, and Pan-Am marketing in South Carolina, Georgia and Florida was also converted to American Oil. They advertised versions of "Make it Amoco from Maine to Florida" in the early years after the realignment. Pan-Am was relegated to Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana, adding Arkansas (1947, purchased Root Refining) and Kentucky (early 1950s). In 1958 the Pan Am name was phased out in those, by now, six states, in favor or Amoco but using a torch and oval logo, not the red oval used on the east coast. Then, in December 1960 is was announced the all of the Amoco brand would be replaced with American. This happened in the summer of 1961. In 1971 the began phasing Amoco back in, and Amoco was reintroduced to replace American completely in 1974.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great intelligent discussion Wayne and John. All interesting and mostly new to me being far away but still worth the read. I have a Pan Am sign here-just liked the look and size. Now I have the background info.
Fred

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wayne, great information. Thank you. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just found this.

$_57.JPG

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved