Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#49994 Sat Jan 29 2005 05:24 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I know this Richfield W/Car is old stuff to Bob, but I had not seen it before & thought it was killer.

I personally think the Richfield Bulls Eye it is clean with soft colors that looks way cool at night.

I will have to say this art-deco looking thing looks much better under lights.

[This message has been edited by ss454elcamino5 (edited 01-29-2005).]

[This message has been edited by ss454elcamino5 (edited 01-29-2005).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#49995 Sat Jan 29 2005 05:47 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Heres a couple more shots of Richfield globes.

[This message has been edited by ss454elcamino5 (edited 01-30-2005).]

#49996 Sat Jan 29 2005 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Elden,
I've never seen the Richlube globe before, but I'm told its a fantasy piece. Too bad because its really cool.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#49997 Sat Jan 29 2005 07:36 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Fantasy or not it is cool. Really like the shield globes anyhow.

Like the west coast eagles too, but I'm assuming those were never really on globes like the repops now. Definitely more interesting than the bullseye.

Nothing worse than putting a "bullseye" on your globe though. Every redneck with a rifle would target practice on that thing. No wonder they're so pricy, there weren't that many left.

Always thought RPM cans would be good for target practice too!

C Cragg
#49998 Sat Jan 29 2005 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Curt,
It's a common misconception that the detailed eagles were only used on the west coast globes. Those are some of the globes that were common to both companies. They were 15".
The only globes that were exclusive to the west coast company that I know of are the bullseye.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

#49999 Sun Jan 30 2005 01:30 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Hi Bob,
I didn't say it was an original, I just wanted anyone wanting to do a Richfield brand pump to see that they may have more then just the regular everyday globes, that I would consider making this lens if there were enough interested parties wanting it.
So.......
Are you saying that you know the Richlube globe is a fantasy piece? You think it is because you have never seen it before or in a book? Or if someone told you it was a fantasy....WHO said so & how do they know it is a repop or from what book did they use?

Personally this Richlube globe (original or repop)with the car would look very nice on a restored (New paint, face plates, hose, etc.)pump in the blue & yellow colors of Richfield.

You have to understand i'm new to collecting globes & it seem there are a lot of opinions in this hobby that come from word of mouth, so thats why i'm asking.

All you long time globe collectors know more then us new-be's, but when I take pictures of collections I always ask for some history of the item that i'm shooting like is this original, or a repop & if it is a repop is it of an original globe or from original art work from that company.

This neat DBL pump below looks so nice & don't care if the globes are repops or not.

#50000 Sun Jan 30 2005 07:48 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
super post , lets bring it back to the top. cheese

#50001 Sun Jan 30 2005 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF, the RICHLUBE globe was ever used, it would have been on an OIL CABINET, not on a pump. Same with the GARGOYLE globe.

#50002 Sun Jan 30 2005 09:09 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Right on Dick, I think that makes perfect sense to me, but as I said I really don't know or care when I see something this cool. I can see that this favors being a repop, but who would just make ONE? If it is a repop & more then one was made...... were are they, & why hasn't one been on eBay over the years...... I did a search & could find nothing listed.

So, I'm still back to sq. one.... killer globe "original or repop! So now....... I'm thinking of restoring a Richfield OIL CABINET with a globe like this on it Dick, if I can only find one with out the missing top.... HA!

Maybe I'll redo this "Repoped Fantasy" WHIZ display case in Richfield

.......... Nope! I like it just the way it is! Elden

#50003 Sun Jan 30 2005 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Elden,
I'm a collector not a restorer. A collector learns as much as possible about the things he collects. A restorer will know about pumps, but isn't nearly as likely to know alot about original globes. Being a collector I spend a tremendous amount of time reading about things that interest me in the hobby. Collector books and price guides are one source of info. Collector magazines are another source. I also have books on the history of certain oil companies. Then there are the oil company publications such as Curt's Richfield book. Maps, lube guides, and product catalogs contain a wealth of information. The people on this site have a lot of info to share. I also communicate with other collectors or dealers by phone or email on a regular basis. I receive from 50 to 400 emails about the hobby a week. I respond to most of them. I also have phone conversations about the hobby a dozen or more times a week. Sometimes a lot more. When I go to a collector auction or show I seek out those that have more experience in the hobby and try to learn from them.
When I'm not sure if something I've read or heard is accurate, I try to find another source to confirm it.
This is an awesome site that benefits many aspects of the hobby. I think it's very important that accurate info be posted. Bad information is worse than no information. I think it's important to mention that something is a reproduction if we know its a repro. I have nothing against repro's unless they aren't marked. If I hadn't mentioned that the Richlube globe was a fantasy piece, how many people might have thought it was an original? Page veiws run about 300,000 to 400,000 a month on this site. We have to be diligent in providing accurate and complete information.

#50004 Sun Jan 30 2005 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Curt,
You asked for it, this is on ebay now. BULLSEYE RICHFIELD
1 lens has a crack & other is faded

#50005 Sun Jan 30 2005 01:18 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Bob, no doubt you know your part of the hobby, you really know your history & I was not pointing my finger as mush as I was just tring to make it clear that when I see you throw this broad blanket over someones collection or globe how you got there!

I was just trying to understand your post so I & other beginners could could see as you say "but I'm told its a fantasy piece" & "Too bad because its really cool" who told you it was a fantasy globe. Your statement

"I think it's very important that accurate info be posted. Bad information is worse than no information."

This is my very point back to you ............ you left no room for doubt! This is a reprodution, fantasy, never existed, fake! WOW, that's just a little hard to digest when you just stated last night that you had never even seen it?

The Richfield "Richlube shield-globe" owned by Jack Mendenhall, Buellton, CA. has personally owned it for your whole life, about 45 years & that he is mistaken or worse yet lying. For me to tell him this is a repop as you say by what you have just stated seems just a little weak. I think it might be best to have all of us "rookies like me" & other concerned with this judgment call of yours is to go on Jack's web page & see if you think this is the kind of guy the would give a hoot what we think & miss-state the authenticity of this globe!

I guess while I'm at it, how about your take on this globe.................. real or?

[This message has been edited by ss454elcamino5 (edited 01-30-2005).]

#50006 Sun Jan 30 2005 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not everything in Jack's collection is The REAL McCoy.
Jack HAS & HAS HAD some killer pieces.
Due to health reasons & bills, he has had to sell some items off. Most were replaced with repo's.
Some of his items were gifts from well known collectors, some are originals and others are FANTASY. He displays them all.

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 01-30-2005).]

#50007 Sun Jan 30 2005 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Bob that is not real. The color looks way to lite and the style of letters isn't like anything Richfield used. Just because someone has had something for 20-40 years doesn't make it an original. I have a repop globe on my outside pump (and only repop I own) and it's dated 1983 so that repop is 20 years old. I consider myself a new-be to globes but i am learning fast in my opinion on globes and there markings.

Just wondering why you are so persistent to try to discredit Bob and his opinion on a globe. Prove to us is an original!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#50008 Sun Jan 30 2005 01:49 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
aquaelvis:
There was indeed a shortage in 1951. There was a war at that time, called the Korean War, the forgotten war.
The governement put restrictions on the use of steel in order to help the war effort. Many of the glass bottles (handy-oilers and qts.) are from that era and not from WWII as many people think.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved