Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#500059 Sat Dec 21 2013 10:12 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I just picked this sign up. Called the guy last night, tossed and turned, no sleep. I figured all the local collectors/pickers would offer the guy more and blow my deal. He had a royal crown cola tin sign for $150. He didn't know what he had, but I did.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/4253336106.html

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice sign and at a great price. Christmas came early for you!

We have all, ran into deals that have caused us those sleepless nights.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Wow!! An absolute beauty!!! Great score!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Y
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Y
Lucky dog !!

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
BIG SCORE, indeed! You were at the right place at the right time.

As Dave said: "Christmas came early for you".

Congrats!

Hen

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I drove 40 miles in a torrential rain this morning to get it. Wrecks everywhere from people hydroplaning.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
all those wrecks were probably the other people racing to beat you there

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice. That's a great find and awesome price! Worth the white knuckle ride in the rain for sure.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
N
N
Pretty low class post. It's one thing to boast about your purchase...its another story all together to make fun and humiliate the seller in print. Just 2 Cents worth from a rookie like me. And yes you did humiliate him with the "he did not know what he had comment."

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Neewbie
Pretty low class post. It's one thing to boast about your purchase...its another story all together to make fun and humiliate the seller in print. Just 2 Cents worth from a rookie like me. And yes you did humiliate him with the "he did not know what he had comment."

I have to agree with this statement. I had the same reaction. I am all for good deals. Don't brag about how smart you are taking advantage of someone else's lack of knowledge.

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
He was happy for he doubled his money. He bought the sign from his friend 2 days ago. His friend got it a couple of years ago when he remodeled a well known restaurant in the Dallas area. Lighten up Newbie and ddkinsey.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Now just HOPE the sign hasn't been/won't be Reported as Stolen!
Did you get a written signed receipt?

Shame lies w/ seller for Not Doing a value search Before listing on CL.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
My opinion is people need to quit criticizing other's post so much and be happy for the guy.Geez offered for a price and purchased by him for a agreed upon price.How many times have you or I found something at a garage sale ,flea market , online underpriced.Quite often .
If we don't have anything nice to say best to not say anything at all.Don't ***** on another mans lawn. Now MERRY CHRISTMAS to all !

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm with signgod2112. That's not bragging it's called celebrating. It was on a public site advertised for sale with a listed price everyone one had an equal opportunity to purchase.

I fail to see how anyone could be offended. Maybe, envious for not getting it themselves.

I highly doubt ANYONE; but, a fool who had an opportunity to purchase the same sign under the same circumstances would have offered more than the asking price.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
knowledge is power and being humble is priceless!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that is well said, have the knowledge to know a good deal but be humble enough to say you got lucky without making the other guy look stupid.
Originally Posted By: roadrelics
knowledge is power and being humble is priceless!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
oh i forgot to say, good job....you were very fortunate and the work pays off sometimes.....want to double up?? JK, LOL

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I agree, I got lucky. What gets me is the guy had a Royal Crown Cola Tin sign worth about $60 and he was asking $150 for it. The Veedol DSP was $125, I was in shock when I saw the ad. The seller was a standup guy for when others were calling him, he told them it was sold. We did a gentleman's hand shake over the phone that I would get the sign. Someone called him before me and offered him $100 for it. I gave him what he wanted and got the sign.

Last edited by signgod2112; Sat Dec 21 2013 03:59 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I some time ago bought a pair of Texaco Globes from a gentleman who contacted me with a price he wanted for them (he even insinuated that he might be willing to negotiate a little bit). I paid his initial asking price. The next weekend a friend was at the gentleman's garage sale where he was bragging about my not even blinking an eye when he told me what he wanted for them- just counted out the money.

Funny, I never thought of him as a low class old fart. I think in fact, he was just as tickled as I.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Congrats on that one smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
"I just picked this sign up. Called the guy last night, tossed and turned, no sleep."

Losing sleep over a sign sounds strange to me.
I can understand losing sleep the night before a hospital operation or when your wife is expecting a baby.

You must really be attached to advertising signs. Nothing wrong with it, I just find it comical in a friendly way.
Cheers to your new purchase.

Last edited by hri_2008; Sun Dec 22 2013 06:30 PM.
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
hri_2008 I'm not like all you rich guys that have 20+ cars in the garage, all the nice signs and gas pumps. So when I find a good deal (to good to be true deal) I get excited. I know I can make some money on that sign and pay some bills.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey whether rich or not its about making the buy. I'd be with signgod (not literally BTW)and toss and turn in excitement if its a sign that I want and it could be gone to somebody else tomorrow. And then sigh in relief too when it's in my hands.
We all react differently to "the buy".

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes thats funny that this comes up, I would to be nervouse there are many people whould sell you out for $5.....I always thought that your word on the phone is as good as a hand shake, but I have been sold out many times...Even from people here, one guy swore on his familys life that the deal we made over the phone would be honored when i returned home; 3 days later when i return, he says "what, i have the right to change my mind!!! then i see it on ebay 2 weeks later........as far as all us rich guys who have 20+ cars, I only know 2 "rich" guys here on this forum & they don't have 20 cars, they are very humble and you can almost guarante there word is as good as gold....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved