Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#50009 Sun Jan 30 2005 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Post a picture of the Richfield Aviation globe not lite up. It doesn't look right either. The planes are white not blue and the colors look lite.

We either have some globes that are not real or we just may have not seen before.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#50010 Sun Jan 30 2005 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Elden,
I don't know Mr.Mendenhall or what he has in his collection. That design globe has been documented as being a fantasy piece. There have been several graphic (fantasy and reproduction) globes passed off as originals. Some of these fake globes are very old. I assure you that the guys that own them don't want to admit they are fake. They might not even know themselves. I'm confident that the Richlube globe is not an original. I don't need to see something to know if its original or not.....as long as I have accurate information from a knowledgable source. If I hadn't been sure about that globe, I wouldn't have said it was a repro.
As for the ElCamino, knowledgable sources say there is one original known. Yes, I know its nearly impossible to determine that there is only one original of anything, but the ElCamino globe is also one that known unmarked repro's exist.
Its more simple when you know that something didn't exist as an original. With the El Camino you'd have to know the provenance of the piece, or know how to tell the repro's from the original. That can't be ascertained from a picture.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#50011 Sun Jan 30 2005 04:09 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Bob,
as I said before, I don't know, that's why I'm asking & if you were placed on a witness stand you would be very convincing... no question of your effort to know what your talking about on the history of globes & if your tell me that is how you came to this conclusion so be it... done, over, then I have the right to believe or not to believe just as Jarvis so elegantly stated that he trusts your assement & even went so far as saying I'm wrong to question you & in doing so I'm discrditing you. I learned a long time ago you can't discredit truth & honesty Jarvis, & I may have failed, but I have really tried to not to be part of the name calling that usually comes out of a thread like this.

So help me I don't have a vested interest in wether this is an authentic original of a Richfield "Richlube" or not. If I wanted to do a pump or oil cabinet with this globe in mind I couldn't afford to buy this globe from Jack if he would sell it. So I don't care that it is an original, but if I do make it, it will be maked (dated) as all of "Vintage-Logos" lenses are & be sold with one & all knowing that it is a remake of Jack's (what ever) globe & they can decide if they want it or not.

Thanks Dick, point well taken, but it does sound like he has had a lot of originals in the past no matter what he has now just like the El Camino globe was from one of only 4-El Camino west coast station known to have existed with what, maybe 6 pumps times 4= 24 total globes made? Who knows, but it is also supposedly an original as he thinks the Richlube is, so now does that mean the El Camino is not an original because you stated with out a doubt that he was wrong about the Richlube? Boy, he took a DBL hit in 24 hrs. to his collection, & the truth be known probably cares less what all of us out here in La-La-Land say anyway!

To all of you that have emailed me, thank you for your support.

So to finish this thread, until I have proof of other wise, the odds are the Richlube may very well be a (you fill this in) & I'm sticking to it... HA! Elden

#50012 Sun Jan 30 2005 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will say that there are plenty of globe people that know there stuff. I would put Bob up there with the best of them. No one person is a globe god and knows it all and mistakes can and will be made.

I do know i will never have a repop globe on the shelf with original globes no matter how pretty they are. I would rather have one ugly original sitting there than a repop Richlube.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#50013 Sun Jan 30 2005 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Elden,

I believe my information to be correct so I stand by my statement that the Richlube is a fantasy globe. The best information available says it never existed as an original. I wouldn't change my mind about that globe if others surfaced. The only thing that could possibly convince me otherwise is if it were pictured in an old station photo, old artwork from a globe maker, or pictured in old company liturature.
Paint can be analized to determine the period that it was manufactured. If that globe were real it would probably date from the 1930's. My guess is some day that globe will be tested. Some of the biggest collectors have unknowingly bought unmarked repro's.
You had asked ealier why there haven't been others. There have been some very good unmarked repops made in very limited quantaties and passed off as originals.
It's certainly a jump to say that Mr.Mendenhall took a double hit. There's no reason to question the El Camino.
As for JJ. I razz him pretty good about breaking globes, but he knows I wouldn't give him bad info about a globe.
I too want to thank those that have sent me emails of support.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

#50014 Sun Jan 30 2005 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What a fascinating adult debate. I wonder how much it would cost to have the paint tested? Would it be worth spending the money? what if it costs $7000.00 to do the test and the globe is worth $7500.00. MMMMMMM...I dont know ...I just pulled those figures out of the air..cause everyone knows ..i dont know anything...just speculating thats all. I too would like to thank all the people who emailed...er wait..no one emailed me...LOL

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#50015 Sun Jan 30 2005 05:30 PM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
I'll email you my support Hubba

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#50016 Sun Jan 30 2005 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hub,
I know a guy that had some Tiwowser lenses tested. It cost him about $400 which sounded like alot, but the lenses cost him 10,000.

#50017 Sun Jan 30 2005 05:45 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
There hasn't been enough debate regarding this Richfield post so I'm going to add some more photos just to stir things up a bit.

Actually posting these for those of you that would like them for your files. Sent some scanned copies to members that requested them so I can do that too or make some limited copies. I color copied the whole book for a member at Kinkos and it cost $48.00 for the copies so it might be pricey for the whole thing, but if you just want a couple of pages I can try them on my printer.

I'll do this in two posts.

C Cragg
#50018 Sun Jan 30 2005 05:47 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Here's some more!

C Cragg
#50019 Sun Jan 30 2005 06:01 PM
Online Cool
Thanks Curt, for sharing those valuable pictures.

I'm wondering something...
I have some 70 year old and older auto paint cans with paint still in them. If I would use some of that paint on something, how would that test out for age by the experts? Hmmm.
I'd like to thank my mother for support during my early years.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#50020 Sun Jan 30 2005 06:06 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Well if you use the carbon dating method that would put them at between ten and twenty million years. Could lead to the earliest discovery of Petrolania known to man. "Early Petro Man" or "Cro-Petro Man".

By the way, where did the Flinstones get gas?

C Cragg
#50021 Sun Jan 30 2005 06:20 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
EVERYBODY KNOWS THE FLINTSTONES USED DINO
GAS........

#50022 Sun Jan 30 2005 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim,
That 70 year old paint would show that it was made about 70 years ago. LOL.
The Richlube was done before the technology existed to date the paint. Whoever made it probably used paint that was readily available at the time. In other words the paint test isn't fool proof. Someone could use old paint on new lenses.

#50023 Sun Jan 30 2005 06:39 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Jim
You're supposed to take that old lead based paint to the recycle center and trade it for oil cans!

BTW, Elden, what do you think about 70 year old paint?

[This message has been edited by the poor mans museum (edited 01-30-2005).]

C Cragg
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved