Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dick Bennett #500168 Sat Dec 21 2013 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
dont generalize all 'new' members... just saying. i recently posted all the local Cities Service history I currently have, to help members look at Cities Service as a whole and not only gas/service stations & am always interested in contributing & reading more everyday.

in regards to the search... its tough sometimes to find what you are looking for. for example, if a new member was to search Cities Service on oldgas, they would get thousands of useless threads before finding one of interest.

I search the archives all the time... just last week I finally came across an old Cities Service COTM thread, it is now bookmarked in my browser smile There are cans pictured in that thread that I didnt even know existed!
http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001673.html

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
BryceG #500182 Sat Dec 21 2013 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I must have missed where someone "generalized about ALL NEW MEMBERS"....

As to it being tough to find what one is looking for? What the hell? It takes seconds to sometimes minutes to find an answer... That is tough?

Like I said, I also don't understand Oldgas nor a lot of those in the Hobby, right now...

We have it so easy! Imagine what Hobbyists from the 40s through the 1990s would have given to have such info at the touch of a finger.... Oh wait, I don't have to imagine... I am one of those people....

I remember quite well, sending out 20 to 30 letters in the 1960s -1990s by what is considered "snail mail", everytime I had complex questions about the Hobby, items in the Hobby and Company(s) in the Hobby... Asking Collectors across the US questions about specific Company(s)... And waiting for weeks, most likely months for an answer... Now I can get the same info in greater detail by typing on the computer keyboard and clicking a mouse key...

There is nothing tough about having to scroll through some information on a computer!...

(Oh for the record, Bryce... It took me less than 30 secs to find Cities Service COTM on my computer... Both of the COTM's based on the Cities Service Company... The Jan '07 and Nov '13 versions...)

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #500208 Sat Dec 21 2013 08:32 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
The answer is real easy....

No one would do a Month, except the same Members. These Members were stuck doing the thread; Month after Month after Month with no help.... Some Members that had a specific pump relating to a Month, would participate... But, most Members would not....

IMO, it is the same reason Shawn is the only one doing the COTM. And has been for the last 6 months or so... Members like to look, but they want the other guy to do all the work...

When I did the expanded Tydol/Associated COTM... I noticed that more than a few Members, instead of participating in the thread and posting images of their items... Would instead post their images in the For Sale Forum.... They didn't/don't care about the site, instead their commitment is geared towards themselves and their only interest in Oldgas is..... What can Oldgas do for them, not what they can do to make the site better.....

Same reason that the same "handful" of Members answer the questions about "history" on the site....

Why do research on a Company(s).... Let someone else do the "hard work"....

Those that have joined Oldgas in the last 3-5 years have missed out on so much... Curt and his histories of the Buellton/ Santa Ynez/ Santa Barbara Area... And how the area became "Gas Station City" and then when the Interstate by passed the area.... It all changed....

Other threads from Members with decades of experience they were willing to share... But, too many "New Members" could care less about the history of the Company's or the history of the Hobby... Instead their interests laid and in the case of oh so many; still lay in what they can add to their pocketbooks.

So for many of the "longtime Hobbyists, Oldgas became a place they didn't understand anymore... It wasn't about the Hobby anymore or knowledge or sharing.... For the first time it was about "what is this worth"? So they left!

Very Well Said; "Hit the Nail on the Head" wink

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
1937 GMC #500220 Sat Dec 21 2013 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, you misunderstood what i was trying to say... I was just simply implying that there are new members, such as myself and others, that try to contribute and add to this forum as much as we gain from it

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #500223 Sat Dec 21 2013 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heres a photo of mine as I picked it up! Its currently been reduced to a pile of sand blasted sheet metal and parts!
I'd have loved to have it as a firestone pump, but this will be a black/white Cities Service pump.
I hope it turns out as well as Matts did!

Wayne 50.jpg

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
BryceG #500227 Sat Dec 21 2013 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bryce, believe it or not... Those that have been on Oldgas and in the Hobby for a period of time. Do notice that you and some other New Members are "doers/givers" not "takers"... But, honestly you folks are and have been the exceptions to "the rule", in the last few years...

And I did misunderstand your point and I apologize for that...

A PS: Normally I would have sent this to Bryce in a PM. But, since I made my comments "in Public".. I felt that I should also apologize "in Public"....

Last edited by Bob Richards; Sat Dec 21 2013 09:39 PM. Reason: explanation

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #500231 Sat Dec 21 2013 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Kevin for getting this thread back to pumps. Here is one that comes up on craigs list as a want ad looking for display pumps and one I found surfing the web one day.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
MATT ALVAREZ #500267 Sun Dec 22 2013 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have the Firestone signs for the sides now I just need to find the pump! LOL!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #500287 Sun Dec 22 2013 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Keith--You'd better star collecting all the Firestone stuff you can, so you'll have it when the pump is done! I know Matt didn't find all those nice items in a single day, week month!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #500396 Sun Dec 22 2013 06:37 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
show me more, show me more,

PETRO NUT #500409 Sun Dec 22 2013 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is Tom Schillings (dundign) Wayne 50. Hope he does not mind me posting it. It was posted on oldgas when he first finished it by another oldgasser for him so it should be OK. Nice pump, it looks much better than the black that it was when you first got it.

MATT ALVAREZ #500411 Sun Dec 22 2013 07:23 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Thanks Matt ..No problem. Tom

dundign #500415 Sun Dec 22 2013 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have some more pictures of Wayne 50s but some I do not know whos they are and some are or were oldgas members. I posted Tom`s because I was 99% sure it would be OK. Not sure if it would be OK on the others. If you guys want me to post them I will.

MATT ALVAREZ #500450 Sun Dec 22 2013 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I feel like us "New Members" have missed out on some amazing people and information in this hobby. Times change…I try to learn as much as I can by searching, asking questions, and simply paying attention to peoples comments and threads.

Braden Splichal

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved