St. Louis, MO, USA
J
Jack Sim Online content OP
Veteran Member
Jack Sim  Online Content OP
Veteran Member
J
St. Louis, MO, USA
The only thing I know is that they list Kirchener in Canada as their home and they made at least one visible pump.

Here is the story: I have written three different articles for "Check the Oil." on "Who made the first visible pump?" Basically the stories ended the same way, "The Guarantee Liquid Measure Co." the makers of the Fry.
Well I got a call about four months ago from someone in Michigan. The caller claimed they were related to Phillip Gies and that he invented the Fry Visible Pump. They stated they had a brochure from Gies that proved that. I asked them to sell me a copy of the brochure so that I could help clear up the mystery. For what ever reason they did not want to do that. (I hate it when people want to keep history a mystery.)
One thing I can contribute, beginning in around 1924 this statement began showing up on color ads for the Fry:

PHILLIP GIES PUMP CO., Ltd.
Canadian Manufacturers and Distributors
KITCHENER, ONTARIO

Does anyone know anything about this company?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Re: Does anyone have info on the Phillip Gies Pump Co. [Re: Jack Sim] #500446
Sun Dec 22 2013 09:46 PM
Sun Dec 22 2013 09:46 PM
H
hri_2008 Offline
Petro Enthusiast
hri_2008  Offline
Petro Enthusiast
H
I lived in Kitchen Ontario from 1990-1997 and still have family there. I am sure your research can be done over the internet, telephone and email but if you need anyone local to visit a local library or do other on the ground research maybe I can help.

Re: Does anyone have info on the Phillip Gies Pump Co. [Re: hri_2008] #500471
Mon Dec 23 2013 06:43 AM
Mon Dec 23 2013 06:43 AM
Ontario, Canada
redindianguy Offline
Veteran Member
redindianguy  Offline
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada
My shop is 20 mins from where there plant used to be . If you call or e mail Kitchener library they have the years of operation etc. Let me know if I can help at all .

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Re: Does anyone have info on the Phillip Gies Pump Co. [Re: redindianguy] #500495
Mon Dec 23 2013 09:55 AM
Mon Dec 23 2013 09:55 AM
Ontario,Can
junior25 Offline
Petro Enthusiast
junior25  Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Ontario,Can
My research over the years has never turned up much info. All searches seem to lead towards the Philip Gies Foundry. I would presume that the Pump Co. must have been a division of this. Sure would be nice if your connection in Michigan would help you out. I always seem to find their pump that resembles the Fry. Here is a pump that I have that apparently they did produce. Unfortunately mine has no id tag and I have never seen another to find out the model.

002.JPG

Daryl
Re: Does anyone have info on the Phillip Gies Pump Co. [Re: redindianguy] #500500
Mon Dec 23 2013 10:21 AM
Mon Dec 23 2013 10:21 AM
Alberta, Canada
coopersplace Offline
Petro Enthusiast
coopersplace  Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Alberta, Canada
Email sent with copies of advertisements from 1922 and 1923. Cheers, Don.

Re: Does anyone have info on the Phillip Gies Pump Co. [Re: Jack Sim] #662047
Thu Jul 28 2016 02:38 PM
Thu Jul 28 2016 02:38 PM
Manitoba CA
P
PhilG Offline
PhilG  Offline
P
Manitoba CA
I have no knowledge of the pump company but I do know there was a Gies Foundry in Kitchener. The attached picture is of a grinder (circa 1952) that was labelled; "Philip Gies Foundry". It was in use where my father was a mechanic for Midwest Diamond Drilling in Flin Flon MB. BTW, my name is Philip Gies (Winnipeg MB)
(can't figure out how to attach a photo??)

Re: Does anyone have info on the Phillip Gies Pump Co. [Re: Jack Sim] #662083
Thu Jul 28 2016 10:48 PM
Thu Jul 28 2016 10:48 PM
St. Louis, MO, USA
J
Jack Sim Online content OP
Veteran Member
Jack Sim  Online Content OP
Veteran Member
J
St. Louis, MO, USA
If Mr. Giles did design the so called "Fry Mae West" pump, he did not patent it (even a design patent) here in the U.S. Early patents by Mackensie easily show that he designed this pump. He either sold or licensed the patent to the Guarantee Liquid Measure Pump Company. GLM advertised this pump as early as 1917, no mention of Giles. Somewhere between 1917 and 1924 when the Giles name started appearing in the Fry ads something happened, this is the grey area I am trying to figure out.

Mackensie was an inventor, he held many patents including many that had nothing to do with gas pumps. Also Rochester was the home of the Correct Measure Pump Company, Mackensie also designed and held the patents for their so called pipe organ gas pump. He also designed pumps for the Springfield (Ill.) pump company.

Can't make any assumptions, just have to analyze the info I have.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Thu Jul 28 2016 10:49 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Re: Does anyone have info on the Phillip Gies Pump Co. [Re: Jack Sim] #662158
Fri Jul 29 2016 11:58 PM
Fri Jul 29 2016 11:58 PM
ND
T
TN Volunteer Offline
Petro Enthusiast
TN Volunteer  Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
ND
Hey Jack,

My exwife and I got to see a collection of gas pumps in Canda and in that collection was a Phillip Gies twin visible pump. I also was unable to take pics at the time (before cell phones had camaras). I did get to see a tag on the pump and was shocked to see the name Phillip Gies on the tag. I had never heard of the company up until that point in time. I tried to buy it but wasnt for sale at the time. Then couple of years after that I tried to find the place again and could never find it again and that was on multiple trips to the area. I found some of the land marks that I had made in my notes of the area but never found the place again. Sorry thats all the help I can give you.

TN Volunteer

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click for an eBay Search Form and lots more live petro auction listings

Copyright © 2018 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved