Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#501426 Sun Dec 29 2013 11:11 AM
JimT Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Do you guys think the sellers on ebay who buy everything in sight then list it on ebay at very inflated prices are are doing it for the newer entries into the hobby? Or would you say they are looking to capitalize on the latest fad? Just wondering?

JimT #501428 Sun Dec 29 2013 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
According to this quote from the just locked thread, these people alone are keeping the hobby alive. Now I know why DB is so grumpy, (For having to deal with these people invading a hobby that most of us love for the almighty $$$.)

""Keep in mind our little circle of eBay sellers are the people who are really fueling the hobby. Take away Troy, Myself, Redhotrelics, and a few others and all of a sudden there is not much out there for a newcomer to the hobby to easily find and purchase. Yes, my eBay name is DOUREMEMBERWIN, my name is Matthew, business partners name is Jeff, and my Wife's name as well as face, especially with this group will continue to be a mystery.""

Actually all the STUFF will still be out there, it just won't be in the hands of greedy people, Without you people,it would let more true collectors who buy/sell/trade for the love of the hobby purchase these items. YOU people are actually hurting the hobby.

Last edited by KZ1000; Sun Dec 29 2013 11:28 AM.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #501429 Sun Dec 29 2013 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I chose not to participate in that other thread till now because...I failed to see the purpose of it. But, since the other two topic's got locked before I could reply to Matts post.

Just a few observations from me.

A classy lady wouldn't agree to have her pictures taken and used in that manner. A classy husband who respects his wife; would not treat his wife like an object to be used in the pursuit of profit. Like DB pointed out...real men don't pimp their wives.

Don't exaggerate your importance in this hobby. You are mistaken in your belief, when you state that you guys that overvalue items with condition issues are fueling the hobby. Any business model that builds itself on overpricing inventory by 2 or 3 times its value is not doing it, to help it's customers. In reality you guys are purely doing it to take advantage of your customers...you are opportunists void of a conscience.

Any business that builds itself on buying signs at hobby lobby and then selling them for 2 to 3 times for what they can be bought at a retail box store is not the heartbeat of the hobby!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
JimT #501430 Sun Dec 29 2013 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Face it, we're living in a capitalist country and this little venture of buying on ebay and reselling there is a prime example of capitalism! Nothing wrong with it, and it takes a lot of guts to invest in materialistic objects where there is no set market, and bet that you're right and your investment will grow!
We all do it to some extent, but these individuals have simply dived in head first and are trying to make the most of it! As long as there is no fraud or corruption with phony items, I see nothing wrong with it!
I don't really like the use of provocative models for attention though! I think it kind of steers things in the wrong direction!

Last edited by K W FRITH; Sun Dec 29 2013 11:29 AM.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
KZ1000 #501431 Sun Dec 29 2013 11:37 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Thank god they came along to save the hobby.

Where would all the newcomers get their stuff if not for them? Probably the exact spot they got their stuff from, but at a price more in line with a newcomers budget, and the going rate.

Ain't nothing wrong with investing your own money to try and turn a profit, but don't do it behind your halo in the name of helping everybody else out.

bppierce #501434 Sun Dec 29 2013 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If Troy and relics and who ever leaves , does this mean one will pay less for our collectibles ? Suits me fine . See ya . Bon voyage ! Bur bur bur .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
bppierce #501435 Sun Dec 29 2013 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So Newrer sellers can't sell items w/o picturing his/their ___________?
BS.
Offer a Fair Markup on you #8 item, Not WHAT the same #10 sign sold for at a well know auction house.
Volume will cover overhead faster then a few over priced items [IF they sell].

K W FRITH #501436 Sun Dec 29 2013 11:54 AM
N
N
Couple thoughts before I remove my thoughts from this thread and possibly forum...First, Anyone who thinks that our photos are to sexual, needs to check their families values. I graduated a private Catholic School and I can tell you a tyrant at home, breeds the opposite effects on their children. Second, I put my money where my mouth is literally every day...If my selling prices are 2-3x retail, sell me all you have at 1/2-1/3 of my selling prices. I bet NONE of you commenting will. I sold that AMAZING sunoco sign on my facebook page for $2700. (thanks for noticing my facebook page is blowing up.) I sold the huge firestone on there for less than 2k, YES TO A MEMBER HERE!!! The pegasus you see the wing of in the photo in question, that was 1600. Yes, that is the rare flat one piece 8ft pegasus. So, in closing...anyone here want to pony up and ASSERT that those prices are 2-3x retail by selling me theirs at retail? If you can not understand how my family makes a living off those prices, then obviously you can not gather how hard we all actually work. By the way, to the OP...I still have a home in Youngstown, Ohio...You to can refuse my money next time. Lastly, when I commented that we fuel a lot of the "hobby," my direction that I thought was obvious...is that I walk onto a show with sometimes 2k, sometimes 12k...I spend it all...My competitors all do the same thing. Now you all seem to think we buy only your scraps...If our lets say 40-60k was not spent on those scraps...What did the show really do? I think the fact of the matter is that I gladly spend thousands a month on these items and constantly search and pray to keep finding more...What about that bothers you all to the point you find the need to comment, badger, and insult the way I make a living. Obviously I have thousands of happy clients, customers, and friends. If you want to reside that I as well as my competition are all scum, please do so. Just do it quietly...and no need to attack a young woman.

Last edited by Neewbie; Sun Dec 29 2013 12:39 PM.
bppierce #501437 Sun Dec 29 2013 11:55 AM
JimT Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I dont have a problem with reselling an item and making some money- hell I do it too. Just dont ***** on my head and try to convince me its just rain.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
These resellers have IMO HURT the entry of new collectors. I cant tell you how many times people have approached me to sell an item and say "Well its worth $XXX because some flipper has it on ebay for a stupid price. Look at the bid history of most of these sellers. They are buying items right off ebay and reselling them. If you watch closely it is very easy to spot. These people are not assets to the hobby. They are just creating a false market.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
57tbirdkid #501442 Sun Dec 29 2013 12:18 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
In my opinion the gas and oil market is a bubble that's about to burst. The prices are getting ridiculous and pushing more and more collectors out. Not to mention the amount of reproductions that is taking advantage of people too.

I personally don't have a problem with the creative marketing that is being used on eBay with pictures. However, I agree with Keith, most of these sellers aren't invested in the hobby. They're making money and when the bubble bursts (and it will) they'll move on to the next craze.

KentuckyT #501447 Sun Dec 29 2013 12:30 PM
C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
Excellent point.

Craig
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I too was avoiding the earlier threads but one bonus of using a model, not necessarily a girl is that it really shows the scale of the item. Sometimes measurements don't really put it into proportion, but someone holding it makes it very easy to get an idea of actual size

jbrooks #501500 Sun Dec 29 2013 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Neewbie
....sell me all you have at 1/2-1/3 of my selling prices

Why anyone would want to pad your pocket even if you offered 100% of your selling price is beyond me, you have NO RESPECT for your Wife.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think a lot of this started with American Pickers, not to pick on them again but you have a couple of clowns with some admitted knowledge out there buying stuff. They felt the need to throw in a pretty girl, probably helped them seem less annoying.
The premise of the show is to take advantage of someone's lack of knowledge to make money. Same thing on Ebay when you inflate prices, you may not sell much but you don't have to if you got over on someone enough. It's a business model, not one I would choose but it works for some. As far as having your wife's pic that's up to you, sex sells. You can't tell me that by putting someone's chest in your pic that isn't exactly what you're doing.
A wise man once said that if you crave attention then you can't complain about the kind of attention you get.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
....sell me all you have at 1/2-1/3 of my selling prices

Why anyone would want to pad your pocket even if you offered 100% of your selling price is beyond me, you have NO RESPECT for your Wife.
. I agree , pretty distasteful , especially to ones wife.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Neil Gerrard

The premise of the show is to take advantage of someone's lack of knowledge to make money.

I think Neil, hit the nail on the head here. This is what is wrong with all these guys. They have actually convinced themselves that they are helping someone out when they take advantage of them. Taking advantage of someone is wrong, makes no difference if you have convinced yourself or your victim that you are helping them. A con job is a con job, not charity.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Am I missing something here? Buyers only buy what they want to, and pay only what they want to....so, if the buyer is happy, why is anybody else upset? And who cares what mark up people try to get...if it's too expensive, no one buys it and they either have to reduce it or start a museum. I guarantee, no one selling signs is making the percentage profit any movie house does on popcorn etc...but no one is complaining about them. lol.

Last edited by really; Sun Dec 29 2013 06:47 PM.
C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
I think the new person is missing the point on the model involved. We are not so much against anyone making a profit as the use and the reasoning behind the photos.

Craig
really #501565 Sun Dec 29 2013 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
yes as usual, you are grin
Originally Posted By: really
Am I missing something here? Buyers only buy what they want to, and pay only what they want to....so, if the buyer is happy, why is anybody else upset? And who cares what mark up people try to get...if it's too expensive, no one buys it and they either have to reduce it or start a museum. I guarantee, no one selling signs is making the percentage profit any movie house does on popcorn etc...but no one is complaining about them. lol.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Model gives real meaning to KNEE KNOCKERS!

KZ1000 #501579 Sun Dec 29 2013 08:41 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I could go into a point by point description on how these "sellers" are hurting the Hobby and serve no benefit at all, but Dave & KZ1000 summed it up pretty well! wink

I think Neil, hit the nail on the head here. This is what is wrong with all these guys. They have actually convinced themselves that they are helping someone out when they take advantage of them. Taking advantage of someone is wrong, makes no difference if you have convinced yourself or your victim that you are helping them. A con job is a con job, not charity.

Actually all the STUFF will still be out there, it just won't be in the hands of greedy people, Without you people,it would let more true collectors who buy/sell/trade for the love of the hobby purchase these items. YOU people are actually hurting the hobby.

Regarding the pictures of the female....really no comment other than I'm calling BS on the seller. There are even several comments on their Facebook page from the general public making reference to the female and her appearance.....if that's not your intent in order to draw attention to your listings.......then wake up and smell the coffee!

First, Anyone who thinks that our photos are to sexual, needs to check their families values.

Last edited by 1937 GMC; Sun Dec 29 2013 09:12 PM.

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
KentuckyT #501580 Sun Dec 29 2013 08:47 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
[quote=J.E.Radebaugh]In my opinion the gas and oil market is a bubble that's about to burst. The prices are getting ridiculous and pushing more and more collectors out. Not to mention the amount of reproductions that is taking advantage of people too.

It is a bubble. Not so much the iconic pieces but the common and rough items bringing premium dollar are a bubble. I can assure you that after 25 years of collecting there will never be enough demand to exhaust the amount of rough or common signs,globes, cans etc that exist on this planet. It is as elementary as supply and demand. There are 100's of thousands of rough signs in existence.

After that soliloquy, I would also suggest that high end signs are also experiencing a bit of a spike. I would look for a correction in that facet of the market but not a bubble burst.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
yes as usual, you are grin
Originally Posted By: really

Part of what you are missing is - He lists the items with pictures like this, when something like the second photo might actually show the item being sold. Then gets his fruit of the looms in a wad when people comment on the item or dare I say items (o)(o) in the photo. But I didn’t graduate from a “private Catholic School” so I might be all wrong here.

fake_opt.jpg fake1_opt.jpg
Last edited by Jay Leeper; Sun Dec 29 2013 08:50 PM.

Jay Leeper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

A wise man once said that if you crave attention then you can't complain about the kind of attention you get.

........that pretty much says it all......

..or another way.."if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen" ......lol.........by the way,I'm now interviewing for models, but will probably just use my bird instead; and i'll still catch *****, but who gives a rip!!!

roadrelics #501603 Mon Dec 30 2013 04:29 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I showed the pics and auctions to my girlfriend for her opinion!
She said, "Her husband must NOT be showing her enough attention that she needs to be seen in this way?"
She also said, "How can he even respect his wife to have her USING her boobs to sell signs?""How will he USE her to make money next? Prostitution?"
He claims it's innocent YET on facebook he brags about her boobs all the time and how he can use them to make money!!!!!
I have pics of her if anyone wants to see them...
She works at a baseball card shop call Legends are Forever in New York. Look up matt and beth foster on facebook and see for yourself! LOL
I know for a fact a few of my signs and globes have brought new record prices on ebay because of my quality listing. I didnt use my penis or my lady's breasts to sell either! just sayin...

Neewbie #501610 Mon Dec 30 2013 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
you can not gather how hard we all actually work.

participating in the hobby is not hard work... if you think it is, then that is the problem right there. going to shows, auctions, etc and spending thousands is NOT hard work. sure, you may make money for your family/dwelling by doing it, but selling this stuff for a living is NOT hard work.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved