Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#501803 Tue Dec 31 2013 08:26 AM
Nucky Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
for Jim

don't be surprise to loose old members from this forum by protecting new ones who come here trying to rip others by asking stealing prices and only post in the for sale sections, this forum was a nice place to trade informations between passionates people, you perhaps didn't see it but there are a lot of old members who posted a lot and didn't post here anymore, aren't you asking why ? maybe it's because we are tired of seeing people coming here only for having a value idea of the items then wanting to sale it here for big money, that's sad, really sad, and by protecting sellers here against members who know the values of the items is not the good idea for the community

I still don't understand why there is no rules for new ones who has to post at least 50 or 100 messages in the petroliana sections before selling here, that's a non sense

I'm not the only one here who think for a long time that the for sale section and value section removed would be a fantastic idea for a better community

Sorry for you

For the others, I spent nearly 3 years here and as I think it's nearly the ban for me, I wanted to thanks everyone who shared their passion here and hope everyone a happy new year and good continuation in our respective collection

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Nucky #501805 Tue Dec 31 2013 08:54 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My two cents. I still think this is a great site to exchange information - and I don't think removing the For Sale or Value sections would be an improvement or necessary to keep it that way. (They are pretty easy to ignore if you don't like them).

Ray

rbonitz #501812 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here we go.......again.

rbonitz #501813 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:26 AM
Online Cool
Nucky,

I understand that you would like to see different rules to run the forum the way you would like to see it. I'm always open to suggestions. In the mean time, the moderators would like you to follow the rules that are currently in place. For example, criticizing other members because they ask too much for a petro item is not allowed.

It is obvious to most long-time collectors that the petroliana hobby has changed in recent years. This Web site does not have the power to change the hobby back to the way it used to be. We can tighten rules, restrict new members and such, but the trend of the hobby itself is what it is. More non-collectors are in the hobby than ever before. For many of them, it is all about the money to be made instead of the enjoyment of collecting and the history behind the memorabilia.

We have several choices:
We can deal with the changes and make the best of it.
We can close the site to buying and selling and kick out any new members who only sell.
We can constantly fight among ourselves and complain that we wish the hobby could be like it was a decade ago.

I prefer to deal with the changes and make the best of it. This year we have made the pricing requirements in the For Sale forum and made other changes to improve the user experience. But we can't make everyone happy. We can't turn the clock back ten years.

I am sorry about some of the trends in the hobby and that some good members have cut back or stopped participation. I know several long-time members who are unhappy about the way the hobby is going and no longer collect the way they used to. Even more are dismayed by the drama of topics like this.

The Value forum was set up so all the petro value requests could be in one spot. That keeps it organized and makes it so anyone can ignore it if it bothers them.

Sellers asking way too much money for their items is a learning process for both sides. Buyers should do their own value research and ignore offers to sell for excessive prices. Sellers hopefully will learn that no interest could mean that the price is too high. That process has been in place for centuries.

If a particular post is something that you feel is not in the best interests of this online community, please click on the "Notify" button in that post and tell the moderators why.

I hope for 2014 to be a good year for all petroliana collectors.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Rabbitman #501814 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nucky;

I to get frustrated with a few of the people on the site and their actions like nit-picking, fault finding, sending a downpayment on something and then backing out (and wanting the downpayment back!) etc. etc.

BUT, at the end of the day this is an incredible site for exchanging info as well as buying and selling. I give Jim and the Moderators a ton of credit for putting up with everything involved with the running of the site.

The VAST majority of the memebers, 99%+ are great people who are passionate about what they collect. I just ignore the ones who annoy me and if there were sections I didn't like I would just not use that part of the site. If someone commits to buy something and then backs out without a good reason, I just won't do business with them. It's really not that hard to get along with people.

Just my 2 cents!

I would like to take this time here as we look to a new year of collecting to thank Jim and everyone involved on this site for all they do.

Happy New Year!

Lonnie Hop

Last edited by olddutchgas; Tue Dec 31 2013 09:42 AM.

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Oldgas #501816 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim,

Thank you for your dedication and diplomacy in running this site. I think you do an amazing job and appreciate the patience and common sense you display every day in managing it. ...Gary

Rabbitman #501817 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Rabbitman
Jim,

Thank you for your dedication and diplomacy in running this site. I think you do an amazing job and appreciate the patience and common sense you display every day in managing it. ...Gary

X2

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Rabbitman #501818 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:45 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Happy New Year everybody, and many thanks to Jim and the moderators for all their hard work, all year long!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #501822 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thank you Jim for an awesome site to be a part of I've learned a lot over the few months of being a member. Thanks to you and the moderators.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Oilcanman87 #501824 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Thank You to Jim for all he does as well.
And all of the other regular members here who keep this site in line for a lot longer then 3 years.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Cold Pizza #501827 Tue Dec 31 2013 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Happy New Year Nucky!

gasmelincelr #501828 Tue Dec 31 2013 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=59112&Number=402566#Post402566 I thought I had read this once before. I guess is over my head? .....Thanks for the wonderful free sight Jim and all your hard work .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Cold Pizza #501829 Tue Dec 31 2013 10:35 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just the opinion of a newbie...I love this site and am thankfull for the time,effort, and willingness you guys extend to people like me. The value section is great because I honestly wouldn't know if a item was 500 or 1000 without asking, I do my best by reading and reasearch but sometimes it helps to ask. For every jerk out there frustrating you guys there's 10 of us thankfull ones that really want to learn. THANK YOU !!!

Pete
63shelby #501835 Tue Dec 31 2013 10:59 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've been a member of this site for 9 years and have to admit that I access it almost daily and would miss it terribly. There is a lot to be learned if you want to take the time to read all of the posts. The knowlegde I have gained through thus site is invaluable.

I've been very fortuante to meet a great number of people I now call friends and can't say enough about the great work Jim and all the moderators do.

May everyone have a safe and health 2014!

Cold Pizza #501836 Tue Dec 31 2013 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nucky,
You've been here just shy of 3yrs [Registered: 01-16-2011] & are saying Good Bye, AGAIN? sick sick sick
Originally Posted By: Nucky
POSTED on 03-18-2013;
I really enjoyed talking about my passion about petroliana and sodapop and everything about collecting but this time it's really the time for me to quit, Thank you all for all the good time on this forum and for having shared pictures of your collections, it's a great passion and hobby I have shared with overseas collectors and I took really good time here ,thanks you all for those 2 great years and take care of you
bye-bye
John

IF your tired of the site TAKE A BREAK.
Don't come asking for us to Beg you to stay OR to change the site to YOUR Desires.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Tue Dec 31 2013 11:02 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved