Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#501803 Tue Dec 31 2013 08:26 AM
Nucky Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
for Jim

don't be surprise to loose old members from this forum by protecting new ones who come here trying to rip others by asking stealing prices and only post in the for sale sections, this forum was a nice place to trade informations between passionates people, you perhaps didn't see it but there are a lot of old members who posted a lot and didn't post here anymore, aren't you asking why ? maybe it's because we are tired of seeing people coming here only for having a value idea of the items then wanting to sale it here for big money, that's sad, really sad, and by protecting sellers here against members who know the values of the items is not the good idea for the community

I still don't understand why there is no rules for new ones who has to post at least 50 or 100 messages in the petroliana sections before selling here, that's a non sense

I'm not the only one here who think for a long time that the for sale section and value section removed would be a fantastic idea for a better community

Sorry for you

For the others, I spent nearly 3 years here and as I think it's nearly the ban for me, I wanted to thanks everyone who shared their passion here and hope everyone a happy new year and good continuation in our respective collection

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Nucky #501805 Tue Dec 31 2013 08:54 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My two cents. I still think this is a great site to exchange information - and I don't think removing the For Sale or Value sections would be an improvement or necessary to keep it that way. (They are pretty easy to ignore if you don't like them).

Ray

rbonitz #501812 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here we go.......again.

rbonitz #501813 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:26 AM
Nucky,

I understand that you would like to see different rules to run the forum the way you would like to see it. I'm always open to suggestions. In the mean time, the moderators would like you to follow the rules that are currently in place. For example, criticizing other members because they ask too much for a petro item is not allowed.

It is obvious to most long-time collectors that the petroliana hobby has changed in recent years. This Web site does not have the power to change the hobby back to the way it used to be. We can tighten rules, restrict new members and such, but the trend of the hobby itself is what it is. More non-collectors are in the hobby than ever before. For many of them, it is all about the money to be made instead of the enjoyment of collecting and the history behind the memorabilia.

We have several choices:
We can deal with the changes and make the best of it.
We can close the site to buying and selling and kick out any new members who only sell.
We can constantly fight among ourselves and complain that we wish the hobby could be like it was a decade ago.

I prefer to deal with the changes and make the best of it. This year we have made the pricing requirements in the For Sale forum and made other changes to improve the user experience. But we can't make everyone happy. We can't turn the clock back ten years.

I am sorry about some of the trends in the hobby and that some good members have cut back or stopped participation. I know several long-time members who are unhappy about the way the hobby is going and no longer collect the way they used to. Even more are dismayed by the drama of topics like this.

The Value forum was set up so all the petro value requests could be in one spot. That keeps it organized and makes it so anyone can ignore it if it bothers them.

Sellers asking way too much money for their items is a learning process for both sides. Buyers should do their own value research and ignore offers to sell for excessive prices. Sellers hopefully will learn that no interest could mean that the price is too high. That process has been in place for centuries.

If a particular post is something that you feel is not in the best interests of this online community, please click on the "Notify" button in that post and tell the moderators why.

I hope for 2014 to be a good year for all petroliana collectors.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Rabbitman #501814 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nucky;

I to get frustrated with a few of the people on the site and their actions like nit-picking, fault finding, sending a downpayment on something and then backing out (and wanting the downpayment back!) etc. etc.

BUT, at the end of the day this is an incredible site for exchanging info as well as buying and selling. I give Jim and the Moderators a ton of credit for putting up with everything involved with the running of the site.

The VAST majority of the memebers, 99%+ are great people who are passionate about what they collect. I just ignore the ones who annoy me and if there were sections I didn't like I would just not use that part of the site. If someone commits to buy something and then backs out without a good reason, I just won't do business with them. It's really not that hard to get along with people.

Just my 2 cents!

I would like to take this time here as we look to a new year of collecting to thank Jim and everyone involved on this site for all they do.

Happy New Year!

Lonnie Hop

Last edited by olddutchgas; Tue Dec 31 2013 09:42 AM.

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Oldgas #501816 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim,

Thank you for your dedication and diplomacy in running this site. I think you do an amazing job and appreciate the patience and common sense you display every day in managing it. ...Gary

Rabbitman #501817 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Rabbitman
Jim,

Thank you for your dedication and diplomacy in running this site. I think you do an amazing job and appreciate the patience and common sense you display every day in managing it. ...Gary

X2

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Rabbitman #501818 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:45 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Happy New Year everybody, and many thanks to Jim and the moderators for all their hard work, all year long!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #501822 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thank you Jim for an awesome site to be a part of I've learned a lot over the few months of being a member. Thanks to you and the moderators.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Oilcanman87 #501824 Tue Dec 31 2013 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thank You to Jim for all he does as well.
And all of the other regular members here who keep this site in line for a lot longer then 3 years.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Cold Pizza #501827 Tue Dec 31 2013 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Happy New Year Nucky!

gasmelincelr #501828 Tue Dec 31 2013 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=59112&Number=402566#Post402566 I thought I had read this once before. I guess is over my head? .....Thanks for the wonderful free sight Jim and all your hard work .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Cold Pizza #501829 Tue Dec 31 2013 10:35 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just the opinion of a newbie...I love this site and am thankfull for the time,effort, and willingness you guys extend to people like me. The value section is great because I honestly wouldn't know if a item was 500 or 1000 without asking, I do my best by reading and reasearch but sometimes it helps to ask. For every jerk out there frustrating you guys there's 10 of us thankfull ones that really want to learn. THANK YOU !!!

Pete
63shelby #501835 Tue Dec 31 2013 10:59 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've been a member of this site for 9 years and have to admit that I access it almost daily and would miss it terribly. There is a lot to be learned if you want to take the time to read all of the posts. The knowlegde I have gained through thus site is invaluable.

I've been very fortuante to meet a great number of people I now call friends and can't say enough about the great work Jim and all the moderators do.

May everyone have a safe and health 2014!

Cold Pizza #501836 Tue Dec 31 2013 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nucky,
You've been here just shy of 3yrs [Registered: 01-16-2011] & are saying Good Bye, AGAIN? sick sick sick
Originally Posted By: Nucky
POSTED on 03-18-2013;
I really enjoyed talking about my passion about petroliana and sodapop and everything about collecting but this time it's really the time for me to quit, Thank you all for all the good time on this forum and for having shared pictures of your collections, it's a great passion and hobby I have shared with overseas collectors and I took really good time here ,thanks you all for those 2 great years and take care of you
bye-bye
John

IF your tired of the site TAKE A BREAK.
Don't come asking for us to Beg you to stay OR to change the site to YOUR Desires.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Tue Dec 31 2013 11:02 AM.
Dick Bennett #501837 Tue Dec 31 2013 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim & the moderators are doing a hell of a job running the
site that were grateful for.. cool

Last edited by advertologist; Tue Dec 31 2013 02:21 PM.

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
db...you are the king of utilizing the search function on here...I keep forgetting we have that available.

Interesting Nucky uses a misleading thread title to get people to read his post.

Jim and the mods do a great job here, keep up the good work.

63shelby #501839 Tue Dec 31 2013 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is a great site and I appreciate all the time and effort that everyone puts into it. Especially, Jim and the moderators.

I always look forward to checking out this site 3 or 4 times a day; as busy as I am...I always, make time for it.

Don't expect to get anything more out of this site then you are prepared to put into it. Maybe it's time to wake up every morning with the attitude of "What can I do today to make Oldgas.com a better community" versus "What can I take from the Oldgas.com community today".

I have learned that no matter where I am or who I am with, it is totally within my control to have a good time or a bad time. Only you, have the choice as to what you are going to focus your attention on and what you take with you from any thread on this site. If you are going to search out the negative posts or the threads that bother you. Then don't be surprised when you feel like this site is draining the life out of you. It is 100% your fault and only your fault, for allowing yourself to focus on the negative and letting that take over your ability to look at and enjoy the positive.

Like anything in life we must embrace what gives us peace of mind and pleasure. If one is unable to realize that, from their time on this site; then they should move on as that is probably in their best interest. We all have limited fun/play time and why waste that on something that doesn't bring you joy?

I'll take this moment to wish everyone a safe and prosperous New Year.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Ohio Oil #501840 Tue Dec 31 2013 11:30 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
...Interesting Nucky uses a misleading thread title to get people to read his post.

The next time I leave I'm going to title post "Tokheim ADC For Sale Cheap"...

Ohio Oil #501841 Tue Dec 31 2013 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
utilizing the search function on here

Use the Google Search Box at bottom of any page. EASIER that at top in header.

SOME need a clean box of HUGGIES

rbonitz #501842 Tue Dec 31 2013 11:34 AM
Originally Posted By: rbonitz
...Interesting Nucky uses a misleading thread title to get people to read his post.

The next time I leave I'm going to title post "Tokheim ADC Trade for a paperclip"...

I fixed it for you..LOL

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Can't get enough looks in the non petro. Nucky goodbye is it real this time? Just wondering.

Not a long time member,not a lot a know how, not a lot of earth shaking post. That's me,but I really enjoy Oldgas. Thanks for the wonderful job Jim and the Mods do to keep this site going.

Yes its bad that longtime members have moved on due to the direction this hobby is headed. Its all about enjoyment when its gone its time to take a break or move on. All we can do as collectors is make it as positive as we can for the next generation, one newcomer at a time. Thanks to the Oldgas members that took a interest in me and taught me a thing or two.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
rbonitz #501853 Tue Dec 31 2013 12:29 PM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Ray wrote: "The next time I leave I'm going to title post "Tokheim ADC For Sale Cheap"...".

My goodness,Ray! That post will clog the site laugh

Man, I rushed to Nucky's post to see the pump ... frown

I recalled right away that I had seen a similar post from Nucky before. Thanks to TRAVIS for the link!

Hen

henlovestoys #501857 Tue Dec 31 2013 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks jim and the mods( that could be a band) happy new year all,and SEE YA Nucky!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Dick Bennett #501877 Tue Dec 31 2013 03:00 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I am a newby here. I find myself on this site several times a day, and night.Even my wife who never cared about petro stuff ,now has this site on HER homepage ipad.She constantly keeps me informed of new items for sale,squabbles,and all the other thing's that comprise a colletor web site.When a mans collectible site draws a womens interest in her husbands hobby it must be GOOD.
I want to thank all of the members & the moderators for the help that I have personally received in the short time that I have been a member.
Now I have asked for value info at times as I am NEW to signs and pumps and cans.But how else do you learn except by asking questions and listening,reading.Just like the oldtimers did at one time.
I always told myself when I retired 10 years ago that I would not fight change as I had noticed many people do as they aged.I vowed to myself that I would attempt to except change and enjoy life and not become stubborn & miserable as I have seen many do as they got older.
In short accept the good ,enjoy the past & don't let other people steal your joy or control your destiny.Salute the good quy's and ignore the A-- H---s. Sharing is the most important thing that we can do.Merry Xmas to all.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
buzzy56 #501893 Tue Dec 31 2013 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
On 11/16/22...I thought about that for some time but I think I have to say goodbye to this forum, I didn't have any problem with any members here and I really enjoyed sharing my passion about petroliana and sodapop but I don't see what I can bring to this forum

I shared with you some of the european market in petroliana and show and I hope you enjoyed sseing the differents signs in europe

I don't want to argue with anyone about petroliana condition, value, selling,... I really enjoy sharing my passion.

I'm still interested in petroliana related items but I won't post here anymore, you'll can see my collection and every new of my buys on my collectors weekly page : http://www.collectorsweekly.com/user/fifties50s/posts

I'd like to thank you all about the great things I discovered on this forum, the stories behind the items, the show coverage and everything here

So I wish you an excellent end of the year
John

On 3/18/13...Once again I got the same feeling as I got some months ago by seeing not collectors but people who registered here to ask value for items for selling them at high prices or just offering items for sale without really participating to the forum for the pepsi machine, he got registered yesterday and offered to buy a pepsi for 2400 $ !!! c'mon you have to be kidding ? I posted some messages for fun and I got this message in responds from Oldgas moderator "Stop harassing the soda machine seller. Stay away from him."

so we can't have a little fun here ?

I think it could be great to block the access in the sale section for new memmbers until they have posted at least 100 messages, so this forum won't be a value for selling items website

I really enjoyed talking about my passion about petroliana and sodapop and everything about collecting but this time it's really the time for me to quit, Thank you all for all the good time on this forum and for having shared pictures of your collections, it's a great passion and hobby I have shared with overseas collectors and I took really good time here ,thanks you all for those 2 great years and take care of you

bye-bye

John

On 12/31/13...for Jim

don't be surprise to loose old members from this forum by protecting new ones who come here trying to rip others by asking stealing prices and only post in the for sale sections, this forum was a nice place to trade informations between passionates people, you perhaps didn't see it but there are a lot of old members who posted a lot and didn't post here anymore, aren't you asking why ? maybe it's because we are tired of seeing people coming here only for having a value idea of the items then wanting to sale it here for big money, that's sad, really sad, and by protecting sellers here against members who know the values of the items is not the good idea for the community

I still don't understand why there is no rules for new ones who has to post at least 50 or 100 messages in the petroliana sections before selling here, that's a non sense

I'm not the only one here who think for a long time that the for sale section and value section removed would be a fantastic idea for a better community

Sorry for you

For the others, I spent nearly 3 years here and as I think it's nearly the ban for me, I wanted to thanks everyone who shared their passion here and hope everyone a happy new year and good continuation in our respective collection

At work we play a game.
Every time Nucky threatens to leave we all do a few shots,needless to say,we each needed to take a taxicab home again tonight. crazy

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Cold Pizza #501908 Tue Dec 31 2013 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
On 11/16/22...

At work we play a game.
Every time Nucky threatens to leave we all do a few shots,needless to say,we each needed to take a taxicab home again tonight. crazy

I'm Impressed you could Reply in YOUR CONDITION!
But you did screw up Date in 1st quote! laugh laugh

Dick Bennett #501916 Tue Dec 31 2013 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think that this site is great. Whether it be for collectors, buyers/sellers, and pickers. The moderators do everything they can to keep this site running well. After all, we are all in this wonderful hobby for some reason! We all do enjoy it so that is what matters!

Braden Splichal

Ohio Oil #501924 Tue Dec 31 2013 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Topics with misleading captions should be "returned" to the sender for correction or "trashed". Deception serves no purpose.Why deceive the reader in order to capture his/her attention.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Catauladave #501927 Tue Dec 31 2013 06:16 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B

miss.jpg

Last edited by bppierce; Tue Dec 31 2013 06:16 PM.
bppierce #501928 Tue Dec 31 2013 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's what I'm talking bout.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
Cold Pizza #501930 Tue Dec 31 2013 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nucky

How many theatrical departures from Oldgas will it take before you stay away for good forever??

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
THERMOMAN #501936 Tue Dec 31 2013 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Face it!!
Nucky got derailed, sidetracked, or disillusioned, but he is still a collector like the rest of us, and we needn't trash him so badly.
It will serve no end.
2013 is just about gone and 2014 is almost upon us.
Let us strive amongst ourselves to all do at least one unselfish act to promote the gas and oil collecting community for the coming year! PAY IT FORWARD!!
Let us not tear it down, but build it to even greater heights!
Stick around Nucky--you won't believe what 2014 is going to bring!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
THERMOMAN #501938 Tue Dec 31 2013 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Dick Bennett #501974 Wed Jan 01 2014 01:18 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Good luck to all this year! Including good luck to Mr. Nuck! Happy 2014!

63shelby #501988 Wed Jan 01 2014 06:22 AM
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: 63shelby
Just the opinion of a newbie...I love this site and am thankfull for the time,effort, and willingness you guys extend to people like me. The value section is great because I honestly wouldn't know if a item was 500 or 1000 without asking, I do my best by reading and reasearch but sometimes it helps to ask. For every jerk out there frustrating you guys there's 10 of us thankfull ones that really want to learn. THANK YOU !!!

Ditto

Michael

K W FRITH #501994 Wed Jan 01 2014 07:06 AM
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
Face it!!
Nucky got derailed, sidetracked, or disillusioned, but he is still a collector like the rest of us, and we needn't trash him so badly.
It will serve no end.
2013 is just about gone and 2014 is almost upon us.
Let us strive amongst ourselves to all do at least one unselfish act to promote the gas and oil collecting community for the coming year! PAY IT FORWARD!!
Let us not tear it down, but build it to even greater heights!
Stick around Nucky--you won't believe what 2014 is going to bring!

I am with Kevin on this. We had our fun with Nucky, lets all let it go now.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
And we don't have too many European contributors. We all get an irritating itch every once in a while, but after a while we should have learned not to scratch in public. The other side of that coin is that we also should have learned not to call attention to one who cannot resist scratching in public. Our rudeness towards what we consider to be a rudeness from another invalidates our claim to ride the high horse.
So, Nucky (and the rest of us), stock up on Cortizone and keep posting the positive, interesting stuff and let the rest go by the wayside.
Also, I learned a trick from DB-if there is a person whose posts tend to rub me the wrong way, I simply use the ignore feature.
Happy New Year Old and not so old Gassers.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Dave Richey #502091 Wed Jan 01 2014 03:28 PM
Thanks to Kevin and Dave for their recent posts here.

Let's end it here and hope that raw feelings can heal in the new year.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved