Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#502746 Sat Jan 04 2014 11:32 AM
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have always enjoyed these auctions and great service but WOW!!

I guess we all knew the merger would bring changes.

Matthews auction Iowa gas 2013.... 15% buyers premium discounted to 10% for cash or Check.

Matthews/Morphy auction Peotone 2014.... 20% buyers premium with a 2% discount for cash or check.

8% increase for cash or check is going change my auction practices.

Well IMO it's going to cost us more to Enjoy the auctions, that's for sure.

I guess I always thought with petroleum collectables going for more and more, causing the buyers premium to be much higher $$$$$ plus add the sellers premium, you would think this would control overhead costs easily.

Again just my opinion but we already have been paying you more each years in buyers premiums as prices climb...

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OUCH!

It will never happen, but the thought process for consignors now should be I might actually put more dollars in my pocket selling my collection privately. Taking into account you owned something for 10-20 years and the auction company profits more than you do when it's sold. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Chevrolet SS; Sat Jan 04 2014 11:59 AM.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bought several fairly high dollar items at Dan's auctions over the past 3 years. 10% I lived with, 18% probably not. I'll save my cash for the shows.

Steve
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Thanks Mike and you are totally correct. Dan has gone over to the Dark Side and is screwing us in the process. Shame on you Dan and Morphy. This really takes the fun out for the "normal guy" who already has to bid against the high rollers. We are already paying inflated prices at the Matthews Auctions but this puts a whole new kick in our *****. I hope we do see the auctions decrease in popularity and we might see some killer deals through other avenues.
Ray

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
there going to shoot there self in the foot.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As the buyer's we control the money...hurt the greedy in the pocket book and they will change their tone.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I already didn't like the extra cost involved with auction's.
This just guarantees that I won't buy anything from them.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Here's the previous mention of the merge on OG.

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?u...true#Post491875

And a link to the article in Morpy's Auction.

http://www.morphyauctions.com/node/2230

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I was not going to air this on this site.Due to lack of any additional communication I am going to air my grievance.Purchased this quaker state oil can at Matthews online auction just before xmas.Graded a #8 by them.
Pictures as received with no damage to the shipping bx.Contacted them several times email.Finally Matthew customer contact stated she talked to Matthew and showed him the pictures of the damage and he was going to issue me a check for $6.00 LOL !Sent another email and told them that I don't think that amount was adequate for the inconvience and auction cost and shipping cost. Would you be happy with this and the offered remedy.First time bidding with them and might be the last.

P1010017 (300x225).jpg P1010018 (300x225).jpg P1010019 (300x225).jpg P1010025 (300x225).jpg
Last edited by buzzy56; Sat Jan 04 2014 02:24 PM.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I'm not in the big time sign buying game like many here. But this strikes me as messed up. Did the cost of running an auction suddenly go up?? I seriously doubt it!!

And just a little thought, buyer premiums should be proportional to the selling price. Starting at 15% or so and going down as the price of the piece goes up. It doesn't cost any more to auction a 10K sign as it does a 1K sign. Yet the 10K buyer pays 10 times the price as the 1K buyer. Just doesn't make sense to me but I'm sure I'm just not as smart as some!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We had this same discussion on this site many times. Last one was when it went from 10% to 15%. Here is my thought... Adjust your buying price for the increase in commission or don't bid on his auctions. No one likes increases plain and simple! You don't like it then don't buy or reduce your amount you were going to.

I don't understand why we even had stupid posts like this! Log off the site and walk away for a few days.

I don't understand why this site thinks it needs to bash Dan every chance it can. He is a very knowledgeable, well respected guy in this hobby. He has joined a very reputable auction company to draw a bigger crowd and try to grow this hobby.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I think some of the people forget Dan Matthews is running a business… In business you are there to make a profit. !! Tom

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Jarvis and dundign on this dan is a stand up guy and when I had a globe get broke in shipping he took care of it immediately. You also have to think dan is merging with another company and they may have already set the 20% commission on there auctions. Dan May have not had a say in it. In the end if you don't like it don't bid maybe I will get something cheaper.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sorry Jarvis but if you don't like the thread, just ignore it!!

Maybe you have more disposable money than we do but 8% is a big increase for people who spend thousands at these Auctions and if we don't say anything, it will get worse.

Looking at what I spent at Iowa's auction last year, I would of come home with a few less signs and I don't have to Like that.

As for Dan, he's a great guy. I think they run a great auction and always provide great service but again as I explained above 8 % is a big hit when you spend good money at these auctions.

This was a thread about the increase in fees not to bash Dan

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: s932
In the end if you don't like it don't bid maybe I will get something cheaper.

I don't believe anyone has any issues with Dan or his abilities to conduct a great auction, but no one seems to be thinking about the consigner!
Higher buyers commission WILL result in personal adjustments on bid amounts and this translates directly into lower prices received by the consigner.
As an online buyer, when I buy at an auction with a buyers premium, I have a card made out that tells me just what my actual bid is. That way, I don't get caught in the moment and forget what I'm really paying! Higher buyers premium will be causing me to further adjust my bids to cover this additional cost and translate into less monies received by the consigner.
I don't know where all of this will take us, as a hobby, but I don't like it!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved