Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
OK, sign experts ...

Any idea why this sign brought this kind of money?

Could it be because of its history.

Discription by Seller: "This sign has been in the family since the late 1930s, and hung in front of our service station".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271370309580

I recall a similar sign brought $2600 last year(It had several big chips).

Thanks,

Hen

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A few big chips can devalue a sign by 50% or more. Can't compare apples to oranges.

These signs in very good condition are in the $4000.00 range. These puffer signs usually pull more then a larger cookie cutter.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I was watching this sign too. Why did the seller list it with the private listing feature?

Last edited by signgod2112; Sun Jan 19 2014 11:10 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: signgod2112
I was watching this sign too. Why did the seller list it with the private listing feature?

that was the only thing fishy about this sale,
I won't bid with private listing feature,
there trying to hide something-
too easy too manipulate bidding... cool

RANDY
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I personally put a huge value on a piece's history....but that is not to say that it should necessarily affect the value. There have been occasions when, if I felt the piece was priced a little high, I'd go ahead and bite the bullet if it had a unique story....but that's just me being an undisciplined, passionate sucker for great advertising.
Although it's super-kool to see the Pegasus in it's original location, I doubt that the specific provenance on this sign affected the end bid. Embossed horses are not exactly "rare" but sure enough ones as clean as this example aren't frequently available. In every category of collecting, value is directly proportional to condition.
I agree with Dave in regards to average sales price and, although expensive, given the high quality, imagine it's not that far out of bounds. If anything is going to increase in price it's going to be the upper end pieces as it pertains to condition and/or scarcity.
Another thing to remember is that every transaction is unique.....even when comparing apples to apples. Can't say mine is worth X because one like it sold on e-bay for X. The people involved, the mood of the person that day, the venue, and the particular piece (no 2 are exactly the same)all figure into the final price.
Will this buyer have preserved his capital? Perhaps. It's certainly something to consider when investing such a large amount but really, if you can afford it and absolutely love it, who cares? I never buy with the intent to sell. I may be forced to one day and even if I lose money, the joy provided during my temporary stewardship is immeasurable.

D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
With no tail damage and only small perimeter chips, that sign is well above average IMO. It was well protected under that canopy overhang. Condition is/was certainly there to bring the stronger $.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved