Next Thread
Print Thread
#50682 Wed Jan 11 2006 08:53 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
I thought I would share this info for the new collectors that are on this site, and for the lurkers that are out there that maybe have not joined yet. I lurked here a long time before I signed up. Anyway, being a fairly new collector I realized very quickly that there was way too much to know on how to tell if an item is real or not, how much an item should cost, etc. There is no way I can remember everything I read here or the price that something brought on ebay. So, I started a notebook that I keep in my vehicle that is constantly being updated with completed ebay auctions, Aumann auctions and posts from this site that are pertinent to the items I like most, primarily signs. Since I travel a lot, this info has become invaluable. As I see more things out in the "field", I feel a little more comfortable with what I am looking at and can make a knowledgeable purchase. Do any of the "old timer" collectors have any other tips they can share with us newbies?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#50683 Wed Jan 11 2006 10:40 PM
D
D
Hey, I am also a fairly young collector, Im 26 and have been collecting maybe 3 years. Would love to here any advice the elder's have to give. Thanx phil. B

#50684 Wed Jan 11 2006 11:23 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Advice is great but as far as prices go on here??????It all depends on where your at in the country,east and west coast is undoubtly much higher than here in the midwest,as I have found out on pump prices and others.Any info is valuable to keep though.My 2 cents SSLICK68

------------------

#50685 Thu Jan 12 2006 03:00 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I to am also only 26 years old, but I have been collecting, with help from my dad, since I was 10. Only thing that I can tell you is if you have the room, hang onto everything. People are starting to collect all the time and you may have thier first buy or that piece that gets them started. Some things you find and you know what they are worth, and some you don't. Some things that I couldn't afford 10 years ago are a dime a dozen now and some things I couldn't give away ten years ago will bring a good amount of money. Being a young collector, collect what you like. I know that is hard sometimes when all of us would love to here Rex Benson say "Screw the auction, just take this junk and get it out of hear!" Don't expexct your collection to look like that until your 50 or unless you are making 150,000 a year, single, and have no kids. I know there are things that I like that some people have not thought twice about in the past, but when they see my collection it raises some eyebrows. It's all about what you like, so have fun with it.

#50686 Thu Jan 12 2006 10:43 AM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
I can tell you some of the things that I have done to build my collection. I am sure that everyone does things their own way. First and foremost, be involved. Build your petroleum library and carry these books with you for reference. Remember that most of these books are outdated so keep up with the current prices that you see on Ebay and at auctions and gas and oil shows. Make notes in your reference books. Subscribe to all of the petroleum magazines. Read the articles and classifieds. Attend all of the auctions and flea markets that you can. Antique week lists all of the big auctions and the local trading post will have others. Decide what area of the hobby that you are most interested in and learn all that you can about that comany or item. In this day of computers, a ton of information is at your fingertips.
Any questions that you might, just post them here on old gas. By being a member of Old Gas, you soon learn what members have expertise in your interests. Also, as an bonus, you will make many really good friends in the process.
One last thing, contact the vendors that supply parts and information.
Have fun!!! this is a great and rewarding HOBBY.
I am going to place a list of sign manufacturers that you asked about in another post.
REX LIKES THE HOBBY

#50687 Thu Jan 12 2006 03:43 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Rex,
Thanks so much again for the info. I have printed it and filed it in my notebook.

I really enjoy this forum, everyone is really nice and friendly, unlike some of the various other message boards I have seen. I have really learned a lot since joining this forum in just a short while.

Thanks again,
Brent

#50688 Thu Jan 12 2006 03:58 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Great idea. My list has helped me out a bunch also.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#50689 Thu Jan 12 2006 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will second the part about buying books on the subject. I only use the listed prices in the books as a guide because deals can still be found on ebay and at shows. Also, the books are not always 100% correct as far as information goes. That and the fact that there are different variations of a sign sometimes makes it hard to tell if something is real or a repo.
The more info you can get the better.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
#50690 Thu Jan 12 2006 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rex,

Thanks a bunch for the sign company list. I am keeping a copy with my books for reference.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#50691 Fri Jan 13 2006 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great list Rex. Just have to give a little update on the "C Robert Dold Offenburg" entry.
They were in business at least to the 60s and I believe they may still be in business. My Mobil porcelain thermometer is from around 1957 and is marked "C. Robert Dold (Tyskland)" which is Germany in Swedish.
Thanks,
Claes

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved