Sometimes I get more than a "little carried away" with my discussions.... I actually love this Hobby! I loved working at the couple different Stations, I was fortunate enough to work at during the 1960s...

Too many "New and Existing" Hobbyists never got to work in what we now call a "Vintage Working Gas Station"... They never got to hear the stories (and lies) that were told during the day and during the night... Never got to know the pleasure and importance that such Gas Stations had in a Neighborhood and/or Community... And the smells... A mixture of Gasoline, Oil, Grease, Sweat, Tobacco (and sometimes booze), Old Spice, new Tires, old Tires, old Battery cases... The sharp smell of Sulphuric Acid... I could go on and on... Somehow these different odors merged together and became.... Something terrific! If you don't believe me ask any "Old Timer" if they remember that smell and I guarantee that a big smile with appear on their face!

I live in a small Community, all told maybe 75 thousand People live in the area encompassing Kalama, north to Ryderwood/Toledo. And from Cathlamet to Rose Valley/Carrolls. This Area includes the 2 largest Towns/Cities of Longview and Kelso...

In the 50s and 60s the area probably had close to 60 thousand... And just like at "Goober's Station" on the Andy Griffith Show... On the weekends we would have a few retirees stop by the Station, drink some coffee or a soft drink with maybe a "little" JD to sweeten it...

They would sit on the bench in front of the Office until the area would become shaded and reminisce about their Youth...

I now wish that I had had the foresight to somehow tape record those conversations...

There is so much about this Hobby, I don't know. Or I have wrong... So, if I "talk out my 4th point of contact", I apologize. I know just enough about this Hobby to be "dangerous"!

Bryce, the body is original... If one wanted it to look like it would, if it were on a "working pump" at the time. Then it would be painted, most likely red... And it would have been painted with a brush.... And 99% of the time, the "new red" paint would not be the same tint as when it came out of the factory... There is nothing wrong with the body having the "in the wild" look... (IMO)

Last edited by Bob Richards; Mon Jan 27 2014 01:11 PM.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items