Print Thread
#50833 Sun Mar 05 2006 04:59 PM
P
Philip Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Hey guys I bought a Bennett 307 lubester and it says Gargoyle then has the picture of the flying gargoyle and then it says Mobiloil under that.

Question: It has a decal under several layers of red paint. It appears to be about 8-10 around. I have scratched off part of the paint and found a little flying Mobil horse at the top 1 inch or so of decal in center. Then I was trying some chemicals and that wiped off the pegasus. Does anyone have a picture of what this decal should look like?
Does anyone currently make one? As I would like to buy some for the restoration of this lubester. If your still reading this THANK YOU and any help is greatly appreciated!

What years was this model of lubester made?

Thanks again,
Philip

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Phillip, can you post a pic of that lubester? If not,eE-mail it to me and I'll post it for you...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
P
Philip Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Hey Thunder I've sent you some pics. You may not have gotten them though. I'm having email problems. Let me know please if you did.

Thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Generally, you can say that the Gargoyle is much older than the Pegasus as a symbol of Mobiloil.
In Europe, there were signs and possibly decals, showing both of these symbols, during the transition period from Gargoyle to Pegasus, after WWII. I have a porcelain shield sign showing the large Gargoyle on top, then Mobiloil and a small Pegasus on the bottom of the sign. This sign is from 1947. In -48 they switched the symbols - Pegasus on top and small Gargoyle on the bottom of the sign. I too woul dbe interested in pictures if you don't want to post them here.
best regards,
CLaes

P
Philip Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Here is some pics of the lubester:

Thanks in advance any help.

Philip

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Phillip, the Pegass decal would have been added in later years. This lubster may have had a decal, but I'm sure it also had a small porcelain sign showing the grade of oil. This sign would have been mounted somewhere on top of the pump on a bracket.

Im sure someone else has one to show. They have been discussed here on Oldgas several times iirc.
regards,
Claes

[This message has been edited by fast66 (edited 03-06-2006).]

P
Philip Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Anybody have pics of the sign and bracket that Fast 66 is talking about?
Would this lubester have had stickers on it?
Still would like info on date of use or asy.

Thanks

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
From a color Bennett brochure dated 1931:
"DE LUXE HIGHBOY tanks have Multiple-Truss internal tank bracing (patented) which absolutely prevents bulging.
30-gallon tanks are 10" wide x 23" deep x 32' high.
60-gallon tanks are 13" wide x 29" deep x 38 3/3" high.
Shipping weights (domestic) including strong, well-made crates, are approximately 85 lbs on 30-gallon units and 130 lbs. on 60-gallon units.
The 307 was a 30-gallon tank, non-visible pump, Seal-O-Matic nozzle.
They were still making it in 1960.
Jack Sim
Author, Gas Pump Identification book

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 03-09-2006).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
C
C
Philip: Can't help you with exact advice, but in what's left of my old-paper collection have Mobil ads from 1913,1915,1921,1930,1937 (with logo illus) and 1940 with a can illus (b/w)...1940 ad re ocean liner lubed by Mobil so can could be marine oil, if they had separate cans (illus doesn't show "Marine" on can)...can send desc's of logos if helpful...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Philip, the Gargoyle symbol was used appr. between 1915 and WWII. Jacks post would date the lubster to the 30's.
Here's a link to an Oldgas post discussong the bracket: http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum1/HTML/007132.html

Here's a link to a very bad but original sign that would be correct to have on your lubster. http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Mobiloil-Gar...1QQcmdZViewItem
Finally, a link to the second page of "Sign of the month" when it was Mobil. Check out the pictures of Richard Weirs lubester signs. http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000518-2.html

HTH
Claes

[This message has been edited by fast66 (edited 03-09-2006).]

[This message has been edited by fast66 (edited 03-09-2006).]

P
Philip Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Thanks everyone for the info! If anyone has pics of decals they think are correct for this lubester please post them or email them to me so I can buy some or get some made.

Jack Sim: I would be interested in buying a brochure and other paperwork of this model lubester if you have some available.

Thanks again everyone.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved