Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't forget that essential tool-beer. Apparently DB uses it for everything. I would rather use WD40 but you can't drink it, at least not for long!!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ron, don't forget some good penetrating oil. Also, sometimes tightening the union slightly will break the rust bond if it isn't moving when you first try to loosen it. Some thick leather gloves can be handy too, especially to stop your bleeding knuckles from staining the pump, lol. Fred, I hope you are noting down all these tips, especially the beer. Cheers, Don.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A Healthy Hammer & Case of Beer makes everything EASIER.
Pour a small amount of beer on union, Smack w/ Hammer, Drink a couple of cans, smack union again w/ Hammer & it'll be Loose OR REPEAT Above.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
We have had to hit the union with a sledge while holding another on the opposite side of the union. Just a thought

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ok

gloves, sledge hammer, wd40, beer. I assume the gloves are to hold the cold beer.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DUCT TAPE, instead of band-aids.
Take the wife so she can kiss any OOWIES [SonOfaBitches/OUCH!], PLUS she can drive you home as you Finish the BEER!

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Mon Jan 27 2014 05:27 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I bought this little baby to replace the smaller one that I had accidentally left behind last time I removed a pump.

030.JPG
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Since I'm still doing this in the field, I thought I would post Step by Step instructions, to safely remove a gas pump. It might come in handy for future reference. Also note, that live gas pump removals, should be done by someone licensed to do so.

Bring a helper along, as it will make the job much easier and safer.
Depending on how long the pump has been sitting idle, there might still be gas in the pump and the suction line...so treat it like it was still being used...Also, if there is still traffic driving by the pump island, protect yourself!

1- Park your vehicle beside the pump island and set traffic cones in front and rear of vehicle, and opposite side of island.
2- Turn off circuit breaker and lock out . Check to make sure pump does not turn on.
3- Remove electrical junction box cover, and check all wires with voltage meter, to confirm there is no power.
4- At this point remove electrical feed wires if possible, and cap. If feed wires are in rigid conduit, you may have to wait until pump is completely disconnected, before you can remove them.
5-If pump is lagged to concrete, remove lag bolts at this point. ( Lag bolts are usually installed through pump base).
6- Place oil absorbent matts or absorbent, under pump and around suction pipe.
7- Drain product from pumping unit if possible,( usually through suction screen).A metal container placed directly under screen cap, (like a square cake pan) works good to contain the gas
8- Disconnect union on suction pipe.
9- Slowly tilt the pump back,( while your Helper is holding it on the other side)and let gas drain out onto absorbent material.
10- Remove electrical( if it hasn't already been removed in step 4). Cap and secure all wires.
11- While the pump is tilted, walk the pump back until it clears all piping and electrical, then set it down, keeping absorbent material under union.
12- Remove half union from pump and install cap. ( usually 1.5" to 2" ).
13- Remove other half of union from suction pipe and cap. ( usually 1.5" to 2" ).
14- Clean up absorbent material and properly dispose.
15- Load pump and secure for transportation.

Note: While I didn't go into every detail of the pump removal, these steps will ensure you do it safely.

Imperial Oil collector..
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I take it, You don't like BEER!
Do you also call the city or EPA [what ever in Canada] before taking one out? how about an Inspector?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
I take it, You don't like BEER!
Do you also call the city or EPA [what ever in Canada] before taking one out? how about an Inspector?

Why did I know that was coming!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Lol... I kinda thought I would get some feed back.

No beer for me.. But Captain Morgans and pepsi works ..

No inspectors needed for removal ..just a license, when you're an actual petroleum contractor.

Imperial Oil collector..
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not a thing wrong with being safe TJammer,and glad you can appreciate the humor!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
40' Logging Chain & a Good Bumper!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If torches are to be used , please contact DB for instructions, prior to removal!

Imperial Oil collector..
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I only use a torch after pump has been moved to my storage yard & truck moved away.

More Drunk drivers survive accidents than those that are hit by Drunk Drivers! laugh

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved