Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
How about a pretty good sized chain-type pipe wrench and a cheater.

TJammer...... I think you would have had a little bit of trouble with #11 on this pump...... 5/8 fine thread bolts that were too long and square nuts.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: TJammer
Since I'm still doing this in the field, I thought I would post Step by Step instructions, to safely remove a gas pump. It might come in handy for future reference. Also note, that live gas pump removals, should be done by someone licensed to do so.

Bring a helper along, as it will make the job much easier and safer.
Depending on how long the pump has been sitting idle, there might still be gas in the pump and the suction line...so treat it like it was still being used...Also, if there is still traffic driving by the pump island, protect yourself!

1- Park your vehicle beside the pump island and set traffic cones in front and rear of vehicle, and opposite side of island.
2- Turn off circuit breaker and lock out . Check to make sure pump does not turn on.
3- Remove electrical junction box cover, and check all wires with voltage meter, to confirm there is no power.
4- At this point remove electrical feed wires if possible, and cap. If feed wires are in rigid conduit, you may have to wait until pump is completely disconnected, before you can remove them.
5-If pump is lagged to concrete, remove lag bolts at this point. ( Lag bolts are usually installed through pump base).
6- Place oil absorbent matts or absorbent, under pump and around suction pipe.
7- Drain product from pumping unit if possible,( usually through suction screen).A metal container placed directly under screen cap, (like a square cake pan) works good to contain the gas
8- Disconnect union on suction pipe.
9- Slowly tilt the pump back,( while your Helper is holding it on the other side)and let gas drain out onto absorbent material.
10- Remove electrical( if it hasn't already been removed in step 4). Cap and secure all wires.
11- While the pump is tilted, walk the pump back until it clears all piping and electrical, then set it down, keeping absorbent material under union.
12- Remove half union from pump and install cap. ( usually 1.5" to 2" ).
13- Remove other half of union from suction pipe and cap. ( usually 1.5" to 2" ).
14- Clean up absorbent material and properly dispose.
15- Load pump and secure for transportation.

Note: While I didn't go into every detail of the pump removal, these steps will ensure you do it safely.

Good stuff...thanks!

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Picked up this baby today now I am ready for bear!

bear knocker

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's good for Busted Knuckles & PVC Pipe! Whether it works or not, Return for refund on Monday. Better off to buy a used Ridgid at a garage sale/2nd hand store [it'll last another life time].

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
That's good for Busted Knuckles & PVC Pipe! Whether it works or not, Return for refund on Monday. Better off to buy a used Ridgid at a garage sale/2nd hand store [it'll last another life time].

Yep!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett

When ya need one quick this will work. Then I will make a yard ornament out of it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ron, of course it is up to you... But, I've been around the block more than a few times... As has db and Mick...

I've seen the "aftermath" of such wrenches in use.... In the form of broken arms, hands, teeth knocked out and worse when the jaws on such wrenches break or slip or both and the person using the wench either gets hit in the face by a broken piece or they lose their balance and crash into something much harder than their body....

As a young man (11 or 12) I watched my Dad use a cheap pipe wrench on our Allis-Chalmers Crawler. The jaws broke and my Dad ended up getting over 40 stitches in his hands and lower arms... (I passed out because of all the blood)

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: texacokie

When ya need one quick this will work. Then I will make a yard ornament out of it.

& Support the Chinese!

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Ron, of course it is up to you... But, I've been around the block more than a few times... As has db and Mick...

I've seen the "aftermath" of such wrenches in use.... In the form of broken arms, hands, teeth knocked out and worse when the jaws on such wrenches break or slip or both and the person using the wench either gets hit in the face by a broken piece or they lose their balance and crash into something much harder than their body....

As a young man (11 or 12) I watched my Dad use a cheap pipe wrench on our Allis-Chalmers Crawler. The jaws broke and my Dad ended up getting over 40 stitches in his hands and lower arms... (I passed out because of all the blood)

WOW maybe I need to reconsider these then I have enough scars from past incidents!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
While it would be great to detach a pump in the wild from its moorings I suspect I'll never have the "pleasure". So this thread has been a great source of amusement for me while Ron contemplates how to go about this with the least amount of damage to his body, pride and liver (beer). Keep us informed Ron.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Found this on a farm yesterday. Used a pipe wrench to remove the main coupling... There was still electric wires to the pump, flipped the breaker and cut those... Fortunately the farmer didn't mount this to a slab.

After removal, put a 1/2 " cap over the remaining pipe.

Stuff is still out there...

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: DCpate
Found this on a farm yesterday. Used a pipe wrench to remove the main coupling... There was still electric wires to the pump, flipped the breaker and cut those... Fortunately the farmer didn't mount this to a slab.

After removal, put a 1/2 " cap over the remaining pipe.

Stuff is still out there...

WOW very nice pump I did not even think those existed down our way. Congrats on getting it that is one on my bucket list to get!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's even got a upside down ethyl glass!....... Nice good looking old pump !

Last edited by 47reotravis; Wed Jan 29 2014 03:52 PM.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
1/2" Cap on what???????????? Electrical?

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Typo

1 1/2"

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings