Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
also, if anyone has info to share... I have seen several pictures of pole signs installed inside of buildings, etc. Some look like the top of the sign is just a foot or so from the roof. when its that tight of a fit, how do you lift the pole sign into place? I've always assumed a bucket lift or something similar, but I would think that would involve the lift or bucket being higher than the top of the sign... which wouldnt work for inside installation unless you had extraordinary high ceiling/roof.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I erected a light pole. I am sure it weighs less and has less load on it than your sign pole will. I made two plywood templates of the base with the holes drilled through. Through each hole, I inserted a long length of all-thread. The two templates kept this in perfect alignment. I then welded rebar to each piece of all thread to extend the length to as deep as I wanted my support in the ground. Next, I welded cross braces to the rebar made from rebar, creating a cage. I dug a hole and inserted the assembly into the ground with the all-thread the desired height above my concrete pad I was pouring and left one of the templates on the all-thread with a nut each side of the template.Poured the concrete and let it cure for a few days and then removed the remaining template and slid my pole onto the threaded rods with a nut below and one above the base plate.

Jeff
B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
If I only had a building big enough to do what you describe.... But I'll take a stab at it. First I'd say that the piece of equipment you get in there will have alot to do with the how... But, from the standpoint of using a backhoe indoors...you dont have to lift it from the very top..you could use some sort of a tie 3/4 of the way up the pole to do the lift. There's some materials that would do a better job at creating friction (as it looped around the pole)than others... I'd suspect that in lifting it this way..you'd want to have two helpers with some ropes on the base to tug back and forth and keep it all straight lining up. You gotta keep an eye on your ceiling so you dont end up with a new weathervane!

It sounds good...but I've never done it. My ceiling is only 10 feet! grumble, grumble, grumble.

B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I'm with ya on using the base during the assembly build-up process. You know...most people recommend the nut on the bottom of the plate and nut on top. Heck, I put up one of those MEGA basketball goals that are made from 6x6 sq tube...very heavy...had the bolts done like that. But I think to myself that if I was to ensure the assembly is kept plumb during the pour...and square in relation to the forms... Why the need to adjust. I'd guess it's just easier to give yourself some flex just to make it easier and less exact.

First thing my dad recommended was to put the whole post on a hinged plate so I could drop the pole for maintenance or changing a bulb... He's recalling his Martin Houses I believe. I told him that I'd have a tough time making that happen with this pole.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
in this photo you can kinda see how ours are done. 3x3 holes 4 foot deep. we made the 2x4 frames that I think are 16"x16" just raise the sign base up away from any standing water. Across the 2x4 frame we screwed on a plywood template for each sign that held the 16" or 18" long J bolts. Have a wire basket down inside the hole also. once the concrete began to set we the the threads with a wire brush then unscrewed the nuts then unscrewed the plywood off the 2x4 frame and finished off the concrete under it. the pipes at the back are for electrical not all of our poles had a hole in the middle of the base so we put them all at the back.

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Thanks for the pics and the info.... "16 to 18" J-bolts. I'm only famular with typical residential j-bolts...typically 1/2 or 5/8 if I remember right. I'm hopeing to find something larger. What ever bolt I come up with will get welded into the basket below (that you mentioned) I need to find some heavy construction dudes putting up a bridge or something. I've yet to search the net for bolt options..
Thanks for the pics....love the signs and posts, thanks for sharing. That Sinclare is funky...mid 60's is my guess.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
http://www.tristatefast.com/search.aspx?Style=L-BEND&Grade=&Diameter=7%2F8&Thread=COARSE&Length=&Finish=&id=-271

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Sinclair Triple Check logo was a test design to replace the old HC logo. It was tested in 5 cities. Sinclair decided to go with the trapezoid shaped Dino design instead. The test was started in about 1956. There were 4 and 6 foot versions of the sign as well as one with more straight instead of curved lines to its shape. There were also two different globes and I saw a picture of a mock up of a can also.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
In answer to the installing a sign inside a building question - it was much easier for me to pull a few shingles and cut a small hole in the roof. smile Just big enough for the crane ball and we easily lifted a 12' tall figural neon into place smile. Without neon involved (typical gas station pole sign), I'd be more inclined to use a skidsteer or forklift with nylon slings to prevent damage to sign.

B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Dick - Thanks for that link

Wes - Thanks for the Sinclare info

S & N - Dang good idea...

Boxcar

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: BryceG
also, if anyone has info to share... I have seen several pictures of pole signs installed inside of buildings, etc. Some look like the top of the sign is just a foot or so from the roof. when its that tight of a fit, how do you lift the pole sign into place? I've always assumed a bucket lift or something similar, but I would think that would involve the lift or bucket being higher than the top of the sign... which wouldnt work for inside installation unless you had extraordinary high ceiling/roof.

Never thought of or even considered putting a sign pole inside until reading this. I now have a new mission, install a pole in my shop!

Cliff

B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Big progress today...got the pole down. Sorry, no action shots...I was full time jobbing it just getting that pole down with no one getting hurt. Used a truck with trolley boom and outriggers (what you'd use to drop a septic tank in a hole) It worked..not the best at the job...but it worked. A backhoe would have been preferred.

For now it's waiting its turn on the project list. Thanks to all that have passed info and suggestions. More as soon as I can.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: justgassy
Originally Posted By: BryceG

Never thought of or even considered putting a sign pole inside until reading this. I now have a new mission, install a pole in my shop!

Cliff

I got a sign pole installed inside today, I just used my tractor with front end loader. Not much to it, maybe I'll get the lights hooked up & hang the sign tomorrow.

Cliff

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Bryce, All of my poles are inside. You can lift them with a nylon sling, but like you said, head room is an issue. I made two carpet sleeves to cover the forks on a forklift, and lift from under the sign frame at the top of the pole. It is amazingly close to a balance point on most poles, and that makes it easy to maneuver. I have never bent or dropped one in this manner. I use normal wedge anchors in the concrete and have never had an issue, as there is no leverage or force pushing when wind isn't an issue. I have added an upper support from a wall purlin on #9 or sidemount poles if I was concerned.

B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I hate to say it but the post is still not up but there is still progress none the less.
I picked this light bar over the weekend.

It's going to need some freshening up but that's typical to what I tend to buy. One shade was flatten so I removed it.

I knew I was not going be happy with the white shade so I looked to ebay for some replacements. I found these.. there on the way.

I believe a little clean-up, wires, and paint will turn this into a nice addition to the pole. Anybody want to guess which shade style is older...my thought is that the green ones are more 60's vintage...but I'm guessing.

Last edited by Boxcar; Wed Nov 26 2014 05:19 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved