Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50997 Mon Jun 16 2003 01:15 AM
N
OP Offline
N
A friend of mine owns what used to be a Texaco station in the 1950's. The original buildings are intact and mostly original. The main building and the workshop (three bays). All the original porcelain coated steel covers are still on all the exterior walls and in good shape. Right now he is running it as a used car lot, but the property is becoming valuable, so eventually I am sure the buildings will be demolished. I suggested that the buildings be documented and all panels be numbered and salvaged. Are there collectors out there that would pay enough money to make this worthwhile? It sure seems to me like this stuff should be saved. It would make a killer workshop in somebody's back yard!

[This message has been edited by Nostalgic Dave (edited 06-16-2003).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#50998 Mon Jun 16 2003 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave,
The porcelain station isn't worth a fortune but it should be saved. If it were dismantled and all pieces of the panels and steel frame numbered it should bring right around $5000. Less if the buyer takes it apart. The problem with buying one of these buildings is the red tape involved in putting the thing back together. The buyer would have to meet all the current building and zoning codes.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#50999 Mon Jun 16 2003 04:58 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I agree with Bob on the price..now.If it were dismantled and stored,who knows what it will be worth in the years to come.But be prepared for a little work.I dismantled one years ago,put a basement in for a quiklube and reassembled it.Wasnt the hardest thing I ever did..but it was close.Those buildings are becoming less common as the years go on.And if you do dismantle it,there are some little clips inbetween the panels..dont lose those..they are important....LOL

Bobby

#51000 Wed Jun 25 2003 11:30 PM
N
OP Offline
N
I have some photos of the gas station up on my site. If you want to check it out, go to this link and click on any of the 4 image files.
http://www.nostalgic.net/arc/station/

The last picture shows the base with the original green porcelain coating that is under the latex overpaint.

DS

#51001 Thu Jun 26 2003 01:05 AM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Hey Dave..... Thats a nice looking building... hope you can save it.... is it the one on Riverside just off Division ?? If not let me know where it is..... 2 of my kids are in hoopfest this weekend and it could be a good chance to get a look at it.... or maybe not... depending on if they keep winning.... or losing.....
bob

#51002 Thu Jun 26 2003 06:25 AM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Dave,
If you do go after it, remember to look good on the roof. Alot of times old signs, letters, and stars would end up there after being taken down. Good luck.

#51003 Thu Jun 26 2003 10:36 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Yes it is the one on Riverside and Division. It belongs to a friend of mine. I will tell him to check on the roof, although having owned the building for a long time I bet he has already checked.

DS

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved