Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#51081 Sun Nov 26 2006 08:37 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
What ever happened to the day when diesel was 20 cents cheaper then gas? Now its 30 cents higher! I dont think Seth or anyone that has a company like him is price gauging but whats goin on with diesel? It's refined half as much as gas which is why it was always cheaper until 2 years ago. We the people, need to be going after Exxon. There the ones that arent right. My step-dad said when he was working at an Esso station in 1968-1976 gas went up about a cent every year to 2 years. Whats up with all the changes in prices of gas everyday almost? They had hurricanes then and that didnt effect **** and now everytime a hurricane comes along Mr.Exxon says "oh, looky here we gots ourselves a hurrican fellow executives, lets screw the american citizens and raise the price of gas 50 cents slowly then we'll bring it back down in 5 months" Its a load of **** . My househould personally doesnt buy Exxon though for the reason of the Valdez or however you spell it incident when they refused to clean the oil up in alaska because the driver of the tanker was drunk costing american hundreds of millions in taxes. BP(Beyond Petroleum) said 2 mounths ago that the profits in there last quarter were too much. So why dont they make it less? Why does Exxon need to have hundreds of billions in profits after theyve paid every1 off(as in employees and etc.) NO1 NEEDS THAT MUCH MONEY. But the sad thing about oil is, congress will never be able to pass a bill preventing so much of an increase on gas or something that could hurt Exxon and the other Oil companys. If they were to try and pass a bill every1 in congress would be confronted by an Exxon Executive and told if they say no then they'll give them 5 mill. And sad thing is, they'll all take it but maybe 5 of them because they dont think of hard working americans who just barely make it by.

Robert

[This message has been edited by MrMoneyClips (edited 11-26-2006).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#51082 Sun Nov 26 2006 08:50 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
OK Robert...time to go to economics 101. The reason diesel is now higher is this. We all know there is a fraction of the refining in diesel than in gasoline. The problem is this. If you look at a barrel of crude in a pie-chart, imagine that 50% of the pie is dedicated to gasoline. Used to, about 8% off the pie was given to "other" stuff i.e. plastics, polymers,
rubber, etc. which produced anything from tires to toothbrush handles to cardboard boxes. The other 42% was used for motor oil & lubricants & diesel. TODAY...the "OTHER" category consumes closer to 30% of the barrel of crude thus leaving less than 20% for diesel. Because there are so many more demands on the barrel, the cost of each section over and above gasoline has gone up exponentially. That may sound kind of screwy, but 50% of every barrel is dedicated to gas and the other 50% is for everything else. So again, it's supply & demand. Demand is high, supply is low=prices high. As far as gouging, it most definitely happens especially around the holidays. You watch, in the next few weeks, fuel will drop a dime and then gain it back magically during Christmas and then it will retreat until Memorial Day.

#51083 Sun Nov 26 2006 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A South American country can be IMPORT OIL FREE, WHY can't WE ? Because the politicians own too much stock in the oil & auto companies.
Didn't the politicians just vote in a $5,000 a month raise for THEIR RETIREMENT fund ?
db

#51084 Sun Nov 26 2006 09:07 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Amen Dick...also, did you know that when you are elected to Congress or Senate, that you keep your salary for life, regardless of whether you are defeated or not?? Also, they are allowed to take interest deductions on TWO residences? Since they keep their mansion in their home-state and buy a million dollar condo in D.C. poor babies.

#51085 Sun Nov 26 2006 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fuel prices have dropped, a bit. But I still pay a fuel surcharge when I go to the dump. Scrap prices are also high now, but thats only compared to what I was before. I get a premium rate, when I drop a load of scrap steel, and I PROMISE you guys, that I DONT get anywhere near the price that you think I get. Its NOWHERE near, the $200.00 per ton, that everybody thinks I get, unless I'm buying it. Costs, all the way across the board, have gone up. Yes, I make a good living, but I also have high costs. Those tubs are about $4000.00 each.

The sad fact is, it does get passed on to the customer. But I cant afford to run a business, without making a profit. Neither can anybody else. I just have to bite the bullet, when it comes to a purchase. I wish, that I made as much money as everbody thinks I do, and I wish that I could buy stuff at the price that I want..... O.k. guys.... I'll be good now. Thanks for letting me share.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#51086 Mon Nov 27 2006 02:25 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Never looked at it that way Seth. Well, you just killed my last post in correctness lol. Thats a lot of money to fill up your truck there thunder. Cost my step-dad $690 to fill up but of his dump-trucks when there bone-dry. But anywho I got my pump the weekend before last so I'll e-mail you what I need for it and then we can discuss it all.

Robert

Oh, and nice flowers in front of the grill Thunder Do you always have those there?

[This message has been edited by MrMoneyClips (edited 11-27-2006).]

#51087 Mon Nov 27 2006 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Robert, but no, the trucks dont nomally run with roses on the grill. Its a tradition here, that our show horses always go out with pink roses. In this parade, I brought one of the trucks instead, so the truck wore the roses. And nobody needed to follow it with a shovel. LOL.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#51088 Mon Nov 27 2006 06:01 PM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I received Seth's new catalog today and it's GREAT. Yes prices are up, including the cost to print and mail the catalog. Let's quit complaining about small very justifiable increases and keep on keeping on with our wonderful hobby. No one has complained about the LARGE increase in value our collections have taken over the past 10 years. JUST HAVE FUN and be thankful that these very few people, Seth especially, keeps us in the parts we can't do without for our restoration projects.
Ray

#51089 Mon Nov 27 2006 06:19 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Glad you liked it Ray. And you are very correct about the cost of printing & postage. I printed 25,000 books ($1.20 each) and mailed them out at .70cents each for bulk. I just ate so I'm gonna pretend like I don't know what all that totals. Also, there are some other very good guys out there hammering out parts & trying to keep costs manageable, I'm just lucky to be one of 'em.

#51090 Mon Nov 27 2006 06:45 PM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I would also like to thank seth for sharing his info with us. It is very interesting to hear his side of the issues.

ward

#51091 Mon Nov 27 2006 06:47 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Thanks Ward...my wife says I'm too honest on here sometimes, but I see no reason to play coy with this hardcore group of collectors/hobbyists/restorers.

#51092 Tue Nov 28 2006 11:49 PM
H
H
Respectful of all the preceding posts.

For the record or anyone so interested. With very little shopping, you can still purchase reproduction gas globes [2 lenses and plastic shell] at that aforementioned $69 retail!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved