Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51169 Thu Apr 28 2005 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I guess my question is pretty much all in the title. I'm wanting to get a book that shows values and rarity of cans, from the small oilers to the 5gallons. What is the most complete book, with current pricing?

Thanks,
Wes

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#51170 Thu Apr 28 2005 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes:

Just click on 'Bookstore' at the top of any Oldgas page and you can order one of the best. It's only quarts - but I don't know of a single book that covers all sizes from Handy Oilers to 5-Quarts. As the description states, they have volume II planned for release in '06.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 04-28-2005).]

#51171 Thu Apr 28 2005 03:55 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
What T-way is referring to is "Collecting Oil Cans" by W. Clark Miller & Sabra Sonewald. This book contains mostly quarts but does have others.
"Got A Drop Of Oil" by David Moncrief has 2 volumns. These books cover handy oilers.

If you decide to purchase these,please access Amazon through this website and help the site out with Amazon's small contribution.

#51172 Thu Apr 28 2005 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes,
The two books by Miller ans Sonewald have alot of great info in them. Same goes for the book by the Allens. I'm not sure you want to depend on the values in any book. They're just guides.
The Allens plan on doing a series of 5 or 6 can books. Right now I'd say your best bet is to get both books by Miller and Sonewald, and both books by Montcreif. Some of the general petroliana guides like Gasoline Treasures by Bruner have some cans in them.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#51173 Thu Apr 28 2005 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks guys, I'm going to buy a some of these books. Basically I just wanted a guide to pricing so that I can avoid getting gouged while shopping for cans. Although I am new at this, I've noticed significant variations in pricing between dealers on the same items, and just want to make sure I'm getting a good deal on what I like and not being "taken."

I'll make sure I buy the books thru this site.

Thanks,
Wes

#51174 Thu Apr 28 2005 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My 2 cents being I collect quart cans. The books are good reference for what might be out there but the value for the container has to come from going to many shows and comparing prices as well as following auctions to a gut feeling once you get into this. When I first stared collecting in 1998 I used the books to judge the prices and got stung pretty heavy on some cans. Ask your questions on this site and if you find a skunk or sooner queen can for $200 just tell me where it is and I'll help you out. Ha Ha. You don't have to reveal where they are coming from but guys on here are willing to share thir expertise. I'm a can and sign guy so feel free to email any question you might have. If I know I will tell you and if I don't I won't give you false hope or bogus information. Ted

------------------
Ted & Pam Roach
Lodi CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
#51175 Thu Apr 28 2005 09:02 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Wes, you can check out ebay's "completed auctions" also. This is a good indicator of the current market value. Remember that condition affects the can's value tremendously. Being full or empty has minimal affect so don't let that stop you from getting one you have desired. So check out ebay, attend as many gas shows as possible and ask questions on this site. Good luck.

#51176 Thu Apr 28 2005 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Books will help you too tell the difference between a common or rare can. They might help you to date cans, but the last thing I'd do is buy at "book" prices. Some books have realistic prices, but most push the envelope on pricing to extremes. Ted made a great point about going to shows and auctions. You'll learn more by going to shows and auctions and talking to other collectors.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved