Print Thread
#51275 Tue Aug 13 2002 07:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a Bowser pre visible that the door piviots behind the back of the pump to gain access. All the others i've seen open on hinges. Is the one I have rare and or desirable, or is it common? It has a pipe that sticks out the top but I have seen some that have a fancy extention and would accept a globe. Are these availible? I would like to buy one if they are. thanks, Frank.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#51276 Tue Aug 13 2002 10:52 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If you had a copy of my new gas pump identification book you would be able to identify the pump and advertise for more information. I probably have a picture of the pump showing the door you describe. You may also be able to see how the overhead discharge is construced. With the pump number you could ask if anyone is making parts for this pump.
For information on the book see my website: www.crspub.com
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#51277 Tue Aug 13 2002 11:14 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
I have that pump and the book. I don't find that version of the pump in the book.

I would like to see the correct top pieces also. Mine seems to be missing something too.

#51278 Tue Aug 13 2002 01:30 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I've been reluctant to say anything cuz I have truely enjoyed the new book and "hats off" to Jack for an obvious work of passion. I was slightly disappointed not to see any representation of the Red Sentry model I have, which is not the hinged shell but rather the circular sliding shell. There was a picture of it, though not very clear, in the Henderson book. Neither book speaks in any detail if at all about the variability these Red Sentry's had regarding material (some were highly cast while some were largely sheetmetal), or means of opening (hinge to slide... which came first or was most used?), or the various and many fill pipe and bonnet and light arrangements (I believe they were many and varied since I've seen a half dozen pics each with different arrangement). To be fair, I've learned that a great many pumps had a variety of options and "customizations", perhaps too many to reasonably and economically document. Perhaps in the revision copy, Jack will be able to share additional pics and understanding of the Bowser Red Sentry pump as it evolved. I guess if I were too terribly disappointed I would solicite to buy some old orginal literature (or photo copies thereof) that might satisfy my curiousity. On the other hand, having a true picture of "my" pump recognized and published in a book would be rewarding and even more satisfying to my ego. A human trait or personal problem, who knows. Brian

#51279 Tue Aug 13 2002 03:39 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I tried to put every pump in the book that I had a picture of. If that Sentry is not in the book, it is because I just didn't have a picture of it. Again I welcome and ask that if anyone has any pump, or picture of a pump that is not in the book, I would appreciate having the best picture of it you can take and as much information you have on the pump. All will acknowledged if I have permission to use the picture.

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 08-13-2002).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#51280 Tue Aug 13 2002 07:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like I need to get this book, and I will. Anyway, nobody directly answered my questions. The one I have has a metal door vs. a cast door with hinges. Which one is older and more desireable? Does anybody have a globe adapter for this pump that mabey I could buy?

#51281 Tue Aug 13 2002 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The cast version is earlier, I like the castiron version more [maybe because mine has the shade and globe tower], but I have one of each.
Dick

#51282 Wed Aug 14 2002 08:44 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Frank, I've not found anyone making any substantial repops of Bowser 241 Red Sentry pump parts... Ron Scoobie made a new dial face for me... nozzles and hoses are available many places... but otherwise several of us have been left to our own fabrication, creativity, and/or local metal shops. Dennis, Dick, Morgan, and others, correct me if I'm wrong.

My dome/light shade was unrestorable so I took liberty in fashioning a light/shade set-up using other period components. I've been tempted to use one of the "generic" shades (by example, the $50 universal shade offered by Gas Pump Heaven) and adapt it. I know its a dumb comment, but what you're able to do depends on what you have so far... cuz as I said in previous post, the variations are wide.

I have an interesting picture that I got off of Ebay showing a 241 in front of a Motor Inn at Church's Ferry, North Dakota. It appears to have a single pipe housing both the electrical conduit for the shaded light and globe as well as the despensor pipe and fittings. The picture quality is a bit fuzzy, but next to the 241 appears to be a Bowser 103.

Anyway, I'm rambling. So lastly, I agree with Dick about which came first (the cast swinging doors) as Boweser started later to play with doors that slid up, down and around. Most desirable? There really is no authority on this right now, only personal preference.

Jack, again, no critisim was intended. You had to publish the book at some point rather than being 100% inclusive... if that is even at all possible. I'll send you a photo copy of the North Dakota pic and if you like it, maybe we can find you a better proof copy. I'll also send you a copy of mine, but as I said earlier, the light/shade arrangement is not authentic.

Brian

#51283 Wed Aug 14 2002 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is a picture of both pumps in Jack's book. The cast door version has the globe tower and the sliding door version without the globe tower. I disagree on the values, I think the castiron should be higher than the slider version [because the doors are usually missing or broken]. They also made a visible attchment for these pumps.
Dick

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved