Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
gasteek Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I just bought a Bennett 132 clockface pump to restore. The problem is that it is too tall for my home interior when a globe is on it. How much will it hurt the value to cut it down 5"?? I hate to do it, but it is the only way other than moving........

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
cut it down and ruin it... NEVER... IF YOU CAN'T LIVE WITH IT THE WAY IT IS... SELL IT...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CHEAT..... Use a 13" globe, and assemble it wihtout the base. DONT CUT IT!!!!! CHOP CARS.... NOT GAS PUMPS!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Thunder II (edited 03-19-2007).]

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
not like its super rare 132 s and 150s are every were chop it !man id like to see it done ..

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would CUT 3 1/2" off the bottom sheetmetal & frame, & Not more than 2" off the upper [below the face] sheetmetal & frame.
IT'S YOUR PUMP, if this is what has to be done for you to enjoy it inside the house, DO IT.
It can always be resurected at a latter time.
db

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Find a new house.

G
gasteek Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the replies. I am going to go for it. Dick, I was thinking the same way, cutting most of it on the bottom piece and only 2" on the top portion below the face. I will let you know how it turns out. thanks much.

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
big mistake but its your pump...

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Don't dare cut the pump. Its a piece of history, regardless if its rare or common.....use a original 12.5" globe.....or cut down a plastic capco globe body to work......or just don't use a globe. I know if I was a future buyer, I would not pay much for a cut pump.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
AquaElvis had 1 @ Reeds Gas Bash a couple of years ago that had been CUT DOWN many years before. It was right at 5' to the globe holder.
I also know where there is a HAYES [looks similar to the 132. DON'T TELL Jeff] that is about the same size. IF they were mine, I would leave them that size.
db

K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Got a Wayne 515 in my garage that just barely stood up with a 9ft. ceiling. Couldn't stand it without a globe, so in went the skylight. Neighbors know when I'm in the garage by the glow of light from the globe in the skylight. Kent.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Gasteek:

Exactly how much too tall is it?

I ask because you can cut quite a bit of overall height out of a 15" globe assembly by using a low-profile body. The body itself is about 2.5" shorter than a high-profile - and you can remove the base and reattach it 'higher' up in the body to gain another inch or so. There is also a bit of 'extra' at the bottom of the globe base that can be trimmed off.

With all the modifications to the body, you can get the overall height of the body down 4" - 5".

That just might be enough to make everything fit when the pump's assembled.

Of course, you would have to mount the body on the pump and then lift the pump up to verticle in your house as you won't have clearence to lift the globe off the pump.

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe it would be a lot easier to raise the cieling between two joists.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...gasteek...before you start hacking away at an antique , you should SERIOUSLY consider selling your original pump to someone who is able to appreciate it for what it is - then you can use the proceeds to buy a repro pump - or even a repro pump kit (then you could 'restore' it yourself, if it's important that you D.I.Y.)...look here:
http://www.bobs-garage.com/pumps/repro.htm

...scroll down, this guy's got a pump that looks JUST LIKE your Bennett...heck, you might even be able to get one shortened when you order it...the last thing I'd do is ruin an original pump because my ceilings are too low to display it with a globe...

...has no one watched Antiques Roadshow lately? Has anyone ever seen the appraisers tell someone it's a GOOD thing Great Aunt Flossie cut the legs off of her Federal china cupboard?...c'mon, folks, let's at least TRY to keep it real...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Listen to the ones who said NO!! I would never do it. It will hurt the value. If I was a buyer I would have to pass on it or it would have to be real cheap if it had been cut down that much. You're losing some of the pumps identity by cutting, please don't do it. If you do please don't show us later.

Mike

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Is that the only pump you wanted to restore?
If not, how about trading it to someone that wants it and getting a pump that will fit in your home without cutting it up?
Just trying to find a way!

Mick

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
don't cut it!!!!!!

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
It's yours and you can do whatever you want with it. You are the only one it has to please. I restored a Milwaukee clockface and put it in my screen porch but had to redo my ceiling to get it to fit, between the rafters. It was easier to do this than cut the pump down.If you are going to keep it in a certain place and don't have a lot of other options do want ever you want with it. It's only a gas pump. You'll never sell for enough to balance the national budget.

K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
I put in a 4ft x 4ft skylight, very cool at night! I see I'm not the only roof modifier here! Kent.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would, respectfully, encourage you to not cut it. Yes, it is yours. But, you have been given some good options. Sell it, etc. I hate to see any antique 'modified.' Cars are one thing as people chopped them to make hotrods. I don't forsee a large market for a "HotRod" gaspump. But, who knows, it may the wave of the future. I know a large number of people who criticize the reproduction pumps, so I don't thing a cut pump is a good idea. Good luck with your choice.

Alex

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cut out and box the sheetrock ceiling...if you move it will be easier to fix the sheetrock than regretting cutting the pump.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What he is doing is NO WORSE than removing the computer & installing a dummy clockface because you can't find one or step up when you do. When it's time too sell it, WILL you return it to a computer pump. I DOUBT IT.
OR, cutting the original door to make a showcase in the lower part.
db

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick, I see yoru point. However, I think this is a little different. I disagree with puttingin a clock face if it never had one. but, if it had one and you cant get or afford an original, then a reproduction is OK. Cutting the door to make a display case, to me, falls in a gray area. Yes, one is changing the pump's original look, but you are doing it to create a display case which makes it functional. Somehow, cutting down the size of it (again, only my opinion) crosses the line of modifying something for function. But, dicespumpandpaint also has a good pont, it is not rare, so this may be less of an issue.

Would you cut a roman pump??? Don't think so. Anyway.....always a fun place to discuss ideas.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
At one time I had 3 pumps in my house 2 were Bennett 150's and they fit my 8' ceilings.It was snug but they fit.I used the plastic globe bodied globe.You may be able to squeezeee the new metal 13.5 body into it also.
jim

leonardoil
L
L
I will trade you a Tokiem 300, then we will both be happy. Les Warner

Les's Shell
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This was Jeff Houston's [aquaelvis] 150 [he sold it]. It had 1 SSE & 1 RHEEM face.

Forgot to ask how tall it was, but approx. 5'.
db

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I mean no disrespect but have to call Dick on his last post.

There is a big difference in cutting a pump all around in 2 places and changing the mech inside the window face. Unless you want to slather on the bondo it is a bit of work,much more than cutting a bump into the ceiling...(easier to reverse as well) Maybe I am wrong and you would just be trimming the upper and or lower edge??

At any rate it is his pump but I would only do it as a last resort.
How about a Gargoyle or other oval globe, are they not lower??

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm a purest so I say don't cut it....BUT.... I have a 5' tall Wayne 70. The ID tag is from a pump rebuilder that cut it down to make it appear more modern. Its unlikely that a Bennett 132 would have ever been modified like that but you never know.

What brand are you going to restore it in? Gulf used 12 1/2" globes as far back as the mid 1930's. Using a 12 1/2" globe just might get you the clearance you need.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
T-Way is right on with this, you can shave a lot just in the globe body give it a look and take a measurement , You don't want to saw off part of your punp but if you can lower the globe body thats the way to go. I'm not an expert but I know T-Way has done it with great resultsand it looks great

Chris Holt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have to go with those that say "it's your pump do as you want" I would only cut the bottom section because it would be easy to raise it back up at a later date and if done correctly it would never hurt the value of the pump. I have run across alot of pumps that were cut down back in the good `ol days. I once had a Wayne 60 that was cut down 2 feet, the work was done many, many years ago. It was really a neat looking pump. I have a Tokheim 850 in the lower level of my house that I cut several inches off the bottom to get it to fit. You can't really tell. I have several original 850's and they line up at different heights.
I again say do what makes you happy, to each his own.
Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I am in the same boat. I have a wayne 60 I have finished restoring for my rec room down stairs. But it is too tall. I would no way in hell cut on this pump, so I will cut on my ceiling. I need about 5" also and it will be alot easier and cheaper to fix the drywall than to fix that pump!

My suggestion, don't do it!!!

Alan
Custom Decal Printing
www.KILLERDECALS.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I ran into the same problem with my gargoyle oil cabinet. I cut the sheetrock inbetween the rafters and raised it up about 4in. and framed it out with molding. You can see it in my last post. It was either that or cut the legs off the cabinet, and there was no way I was going to do that. So my 2 cents would be not to chop it up.
Jim

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Since it wont fit in your house,now would be the perfect time to build that service station replica in the back yard,since you already have the pump for the island.Hehe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved