Print Thread
#512046 Fri Feb 07 2014 07:25 PM
B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Not that I'm near the painting stage....was wondering if there was better options than an automotive paint finish. Por 15 comes to mind...never have used it, only have seen the company displays at a few car shows. Can be brushed or sprayed with their gun or a gun set for heavy materials. I've seen a brush application of that product that 'flowed' out pretty good. (didn't look like a typical brush job) Any thoughts or material recommendations? I'd hope for a product that'll hold up for a good 10 yrs. The pole will get blasted prior. Don't believe I can primer if I use Por 15....Not using a primer is going to be tough for me...just don't seem right.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I'd recommend blasting and then have it powder coated. Looks nice and very durable!

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I agree with Signs, but would also suggest you do some sanding between the sandblasting and the powder coating. The smoother the metal the better the powder coating.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I only know of one fellow in town that has a oven big enough for a banjo pole. There may be more now not sure. I agree I have a flag pole that was powder coated 20 years ago and its holding up great.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Thanks fellas

Noted...powder coating is great stuff, if it can handle a piece this big. I'll check it out. I doubt that capacity is available to this area.

Next...anyone have other options for top coats.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
You don't want to prime under Por-15. It is specifically designed to be used over rusted metal. They even have a prep to put some rust on clean metal areas!
Before it (the Por-15) dries completely you can topcoat paint over it!
Por-15 is cool stuff and dries hard as rock.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
most industrial powder coating places can fit large items.

Looking for H.S. Goodell , Barkhausen , Gitchee Gumee, and other Local Upper Peninsula Michigan oil company items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You may be limited by color choices but outdoor rustoleum paint is hard to beat. Primer is not needed , apply with roller , and brush it on in the smaller areas . I have painted both my sign posts with it and am very pleased with it . In time as it dulls I will repaint them as needed , and it was very inexpensive and is a great durable paint.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: Dr Dave
You don't want to prime under Por-15. It is specifically designed to be used over rusted metal. They even have a prep to put some rust on clean metal areas!
Before it (the Por-15) dries completely you can topcoat paint over it!
Por-15 is cool stuff and dries hard as rock.

Yep, no primer...No clean metal or primer allowed...I just can't make myself use it.
Originally Posted By: pipes
most industrial powder coating places can fit large items.

I'm looking into this now.
Originally Posted By: 47reotravis
You may be limited by color choices but outdoor rustoleum paint is hard to beat. Primer is not needed , apply with roller , and brush it on in the smaller areas . I have painted both my sign posts with it and am very pleased with it . In time as it dulls I will repaint them as needed , and it was very inexpensive and is a great durable paint.

Now we're talking...thanks, I'll look into it.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
If you are in Southern IL, Americana in Salem Il can powder coat anything up to a 40 foot long tanker truck. They do lots of truck wheels, vintage car frames, parts etc. They sandblast and powder coat in all colors.

B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
So. IL is my homeland...but I migrated south and set up shop. But that recommendation is still something I may need for a project at my fathers place. Thanks

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Powder coating shops have coatings to deal with the salt climate for areas near the coastal areas.

Wayne
Sherwin williams makes a water based primer/paint that holds up really good. I have painted quite a few sign poles for local businesses using it. Seems that almost every gas station that I go to has that paint on the canopy poles.

On my pole outside my shop, I used Omni MAE (acrylic Enamel) It has held up Ok, I dont think I would use acrylic enamel again though...

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: Wayne Wood
Powder coating shops have coatings to deal with the salt climate for areas near the coastal areas.

I'm more LA (lower alabama) that coastal

quote=Ryan Underthun]Sherwin williams makes a water based primer/paint that holds up really good. .[/quote] I'll look into the SW product. thanks

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved