Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Guess I wouldn't be buying anything from Ohio Oil off Craigslist. shocked

Greg
On the lookout for Marland Oil / Conoco Globes
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
It is hard for me to imagine that I can purchase a PETROLIANA piece off CL with so many folks looking for the same thing! frown

I believe I have a better chance with eBay assuming I step up to the plate & bid hard to win!

My 2-cents worth!

Hen

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
Originally Posted By: lando-4
"Rule for Craigslist to live by" - if they won't pull the ad off craigslist after you have committed to purchasing the item, then they aren't worthy enough of your hard earned dollar and can't be trusted to still have the item when you show up. If the seller has any integrity, they will pull the ad. If they won't, move on to the next deal.

Couldn't disagree more. I sell on craigslist routinely, I'm not pulling an ad just because Bucky said he's coming at 3 oclock to seal the deal. Buyers can equally lack integrity by saying they'll show up and never do.

The true rule for craigslist to live by is this....the first one to show up with cash gets the item. It's not ebay, it's a face to face venue for selling items. I believe the seller should just man up and be honest...I'm not holding this item for you neither will I pull the ad. I'll sell this item to the first person that shows up with cash. Pretty simple if you ask me.

Excuse me? So you make a deal with a guy over the phone, he says he will pay you a deposit and you say no and then sell it to someone else before he arrives? Is that what you are saying?

If indeed that's what you are saying do you tell the people who contact you on craigslist that you will sell it if someone calls later and makes it to your house in 5 minutes three steps ahead of the other fellow?

I'm sorry, but if that's how you conduct business I would be happy to go out of my way on craigslist to point out you aren't a trustworthy seller. If you refuse a down payment and agree to sell them the item and then sell it before they can get to your door, well you are lacking INTEGRITY.

Integrity - the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

Are you really declaring here on OG that you don't have it?
Please tell me I'm wrong.

I understand if someone says they are interested and may swing by later to take a look. That's a different story. Or if you tell someone you've got three offers and you honestly disclose to the caller that the first person who makes it gets the item.

Please clarify!

It's a pretty simple concept. I don't hold items or promise that it is theirs to prospective buyers. I make that very clear to anyone that's coming to look at an item.

I flip cars primarily on craigslist. I typically have several people interested in my listings and years of sales have taught me to not hold items for supposed buyers. Most people don't show, or try to offer you more money if you tell them you might have it sold. It's simply easier to not promise anyone that the car is theirs.

Now, if as a seller you tell someone it's theirs and you sell it out from underneath them for any reason you have no integrity. Hope that clears it up for you. And as stated earlier, savy buyers on craigslist have learned if you see something you want you best go get it now. Can't tell you how many repairable cars I've missed out on because I waited til after work or some other commitment to go look at something.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
And another note...how am I going to take a deposit over the phone and hold it for someone when I only deal in cash?

You act like it's ebay or selling to a fellow member here on OG.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I deal on CL frequently and have to drive most of the time to get items. Sometime i drive 2 hours+ to get something. I myself tell the seller i am on the way and not to let it go. Never had an issue with the seller selling it. I dont see that as a problem and if i am selling something and the buyer doesnt show, OH WELL. If it is that desirable there is always someone else to pay me...

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: mcguffeyd1
I deal on CL frequently and have to drive most of the time to get items. Sometime i drive 2 hours+ to get something. I myself tell the seller i am on the way and not to let it go. Never had an issue with the seller selling it. I dont see that as a problem and if i am selling something and the buyer doesnt show, OH WELL. If it is that desirable there is always someone else to pay me...

There you go...that's the exception for me...if a guy calls me and tells me he's on his way I get an ETA from him and I have no problem holding for him. I get cranked as a buyer when someone tells me it's available, I call them to tell them I'm on my way then they sell it.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
?????? I'm really confused now. So if I show up with cash while someone is on the way with an ETA say 2 hours away, do I get the item?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jeez I'm sorry, its to bad. Some people are just like that.

Braden Splichal

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
CL is not the only place where a lack of integrity occurs.... it even happens on Oldgas.
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?u...true#Post443299

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Shotzy13
?????? I'm really confused now. So if I show up with cash while someone is on the way with an ETA say 2 hours away, do I get the item?

If I were the seller I would tell you someone is coming to get it. After the two and a half hours then it is fair game. I always like to give them a bit extra just incase of traffic etc. Just the correct way to handle that IMO.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I too sell to the first with cash, BUT I also will not give my actual address to anyone until they call when they are leaving and I have an ETA. I would never sell an item if someone was in transit.
If someone tells me they will be here after work in 4 hours, I tell them to call before leaving, then it will be held. If someone calls before he does and can be here quicker that person gets first dibs.
I've had way more No-Shows so that is just the way it is now.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
It's not that complicated. I'll use my recent snowmobile flip as an example.

I list my sled at 8am, Billy calls me at 10am and says he wants to buy that sled but can't be here until 6pm when he gets off work. I thank him for his interest but tell him I'm not holding it for him until 6. (You know why.....because most Billy's on craigslist never show) Call me when you get off work Billy and tell me you are on your way and approx. ETA. If it's still available I will hold it for you until you get here, as I don't want to see you waste a trip. I don't put my address on the ad so I know when I have people coming.

KZ is exactly right, most people on craigslist that tell you they are coming never show. I only believe you are coming when you call me on your cell phone, in your vehicle, with an approximate ETA. (even then I'm not betting the mortgage on it)

I wish it was like selling here on OG where you can say first one that pm's me gets it and they follow through or on ebay where your bid is a contractual agreement.

S
S
The old days when a handshake was your word was great. Today with high tech communications, our word is the handshake. Many people today are driven by greed and their word doesn't mean squat. We all have had this done to us in the last few years and it is really disappointing. My saving grace is I believe everything balances out in this world and he will get his justice soon. Take care, Skate

Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil

(You know why.....because most Billy's on craigslist never show)

What?? People on craigslist not showing up? Seriously? LOL

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

S
S
Funny thing is that within the last 5-8 years a persons word means nothing. Craigslist is a perfect example of it. I stopped 95% of selling things because of this. So and so said they would be over in a hour.. No show, call 4 more times to say they would come over and still a no show. As bad as it sounds, first CL person with cash in hand wins. I tell everyone when your ready to come over like ready to jump in the car with cash in hand, then call me so I know if I am at home, the shop or out calling on customers. Selling stuff is just fun for me. We all have other lives, kids, family, WORK, etc to worry about.

I just get sick of the ******* of this and that or the person that comes over knowing its $300, described as such and you point out the 6 key things to them and then tell you that they only have $100. Had one last Thursday like that. Ahh its going to be $275 oh your twice as much as so and so. That's great, go buy theirs then but mine is twice as nice or NOS and they can't figure out why you won't take $100. If I wanted $100, I would of listed for $100 instead of $275 like we chatted about on the phone. I can dicker some but I'm not dropping my pants that low. I can just put it back on the wall where its been for the last x amount of years.

Last edited by Ryan Underthun; Wed Feb 19 2014 08:29 AM. Reason: removed bad language
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved