Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Personally, I will not contact a Seller if there are any bids on the item(s)...
You're assuming that because there are no bids that there is no interest. I always bid in the last 5 seconds of an auction. It's ridiculous that I have to place a lower-level bid in order to show my interest and keep a seller from ending an auction early.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: JeffS
It's ridiculous that I have to place a lower-level bid in order to show my interest and keep a seller from ending an auction early.

ridiculous... yes. it is. but its the only half-way effective method I have figured out thus far. I can't think of any other way... other than maybe sending the seller a message, but I don't see that preventing them from doing it much.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
In the last 2 months there was an unrestored Tokheim 850 that I wanted quite badly. I even put in a placeholder bid, but the seller still ended the auction early.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It happens, maybe you will win the next Auction?

Jeff, I haven't been bidding on items based on the notion that you or anyone else might have an interest in it or not... And I won't give it a second thought when I bid again....

If I see an item and I want to ask the Seller to consider an offer, I will do so.... Some of the time, the Seller will say yes, most of the time they will say no...

If someone else is watching that item and they "feel robbed" because the Seller ended the Auction early, so what! They had the same opportunities to bid on the item and/or contact the Seller, as I did....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Right on Bob!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ryan Underthun
I was just giving him some grief... I mean after all, he dishes plenty of it out.

Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
MOST of our reply's are done in Fewer Words so as not to Clutter the Simple Minds of members! laugh

Q
Q
The seller reserves the right to sell THEIR item any way they choose just like you as the buyer reserve the right to try and buy the item anyway you want to. To me it's a you snooze you lose. I always ask if they will sell the item outright or add a buy it now if its something I want because I know if I don't there is someone else that's going to. I've been successful and I've been told no. Just my opinion.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: QuartKans
The seller reserves the right to sell THEIR item any way they choose just like you as the buyer reserve the right to try and buy the item anyway you want to.

Can you show me where it states this in the eBay rules/guidelines? I seemed to have glossed over the clause that states that sellers can sell outside eBay to circumvent the fee structure and can also deceive buyers who were expecting the auction to run the full course of time.

Last edited by JeffS; Tue Feb 25 2014 04:09 PM.
Q
Q
Wait are you mad because the guy screwed eBay or because he ended HIS item and you didn't get it? Because I hight doubt that if a seller ends something you're not interested you are really going to get on here and throw a fit because the seller of that item screwed eBay out of money. It's not deception it's the sellers right to do what he wants with his item. Im going to start calling your snipe bids deceiving because you tricked me I didn't think you were going to bid but you did in the last 5 seconds that's not fair. Life's not fair find a way to adapt or get over it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
JeffS, your right, some of us have Ethics some don't.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: JeffS
Originally Posted By: QuartKans
The seller reserves the right to sell THEIR item any way they choose just like you as the buyer reserve the right to try and buy the item anyway you want to.

Can you show me where it states this in the eBay rules/guidelines? I seemed to have glossed over the clause that states that sellers can sell outside eBay to circumvent the fee structure and can also deceive buyers who were expecting the auction to run the full course of time.

Exactly ! When it happened to me I contacted eBay to see if there was anything that could be done to discourage such practices. Their exact words (not mine)were "we are aware that this DISHONEST practice occurs but unfortunately at this time have no way stop or prevent it completely" when I asked why response was "We have no way to prove that's what happened, seller could tell us item was stolen, broken, described inaccurately etc."
Listing a item for sale on eBay is in effect entering into a contract just as placing a bid is, just because It's a easy contract to break without repercussions doesn't make it right. Ethics and "right & wrong" need/should come into play. There really is no difference in this practice than the Craigslist stories we here about in which a buyer strikes a verbal deal and shows up to buy item only to be told "sorry just sold it to that guy for more" And I know (hope) no one thinks that's ok !
I for one will not live my life with the attitude "I'm gonna get mine weather it's right or wrong, screw the other guy ! "
These are just my opinions, they are not directed at any other member nor intended to offer insult...

Last edited by 63shelby; Tue Feb 25 2014 05:42 PM.

Pete
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Agreed. Or some have selective ethics it seems.

Q
Q
Originally Posted By: KZ1000

How is it unethical to ask someone to stop an auction with no bids? Now it would be wrong if everyone was not on the same playing field and only some could do it and others couldn't. But everyone has the ability to click the ask a question button and everyone has the ability to make an offer. It's an even playing field everyone has the same opportunity as the next.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll Bet that Theory would go over big Time w/ Dan's [or any auctioneer] auctions, in the middle of selling it the owner steps up & says "It's no longer For Sale here I sold it outside"!

Ebay needs a PENALTY FEE for Stopping an auction Early. ebay was a good thing when they started, BUT some will always find a RAT HOLE to ruin it for all others.
Now ebay is like a Permanent Internet Garage Sale.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When you give an item to an auctioneer it's out of your control being sold by a third party. Seller on ebay retains control and can therefore end the auction. It is what it is, right or wrong. No turning back without a more committed contract and penalty fee as Dick pointed out. Into the rat hole I go!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved