Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Ebay needs a PENALTY FEE for Stopping an auction Early.

They do, sort of.

Sellers get one freebie per year. After that, any auction (without a reserve) that is ended early, the seller is charged a final value fee on what the current high bid was at.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: bustermonty
It is what it is, right or wrong. No turning back without a more committed contract and penalty fee
In other words, as long as the seller does not suffer significant repercussions, it's ok? How is that any different than agreeing to sell an item on Craigslist to one person and then selling it to someone else?

When you list a item on eBay, you are making a commitment, or giving your word, in essence, to the buying community that you will sell the item honestly and fairly.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry, apples and oranges. If someone says it's sold on craigslist it should be sold and that's the commitment to sell. Because it's on ebay no commitment to anyone until buyer completes or ends auction. Now if seller doesn't ship to legit winner or rat hole buyer like myself, and instead sells to someone else that would be a better comparison.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry, apples and oranges. If someone says it's sold on craigslist it should be sold and that's the commitment to sell. Because it's on ebay no commitment to anyone until buyer completes or ends auction. Now if seller doesn't ship to legit winner or rat hole buyer like myself, and instead sells to someone else that would be a better comparison.

I don't agree, the commitment to sell is in effect the moment the seller hit's the "list my item" button and takes a bid, that one single bid is a comment to sell and to buy (provided there's no reserve)exactly as if they said "sold "on Craigslist.The whole concept of a "auction" is highest bidder wins period. Sniping or bidding at last second is still a "honest" bid, honest meaning the system was not circumvented. Now if its clearly stated in description that item is for sale locally and seller reserves the right to end auction early, or there's a buy it now that's a different story.
It's already been established that it is against eBay policy, therefore wrong, cheating, and I would go as far as to say stealing, do you believe a seller is calling eBay and saying "hey I sold my sign for $3,000 I owe you guys some $" ? hell no ! If you don't like eBay's policies, rules or fees than don't use them, but once you do you should follow "the rules" for everyone's sake if for no other reason because its the right thing to do, hence the word ETHICS. Its very apparent your opinion will not change, and I certainly will not be dragged down "the rat hole" so lets agree to disagree. Good luck to you Sir smile

ethˇics [eth-iks] Show IPA

plural noun

( used with a singular or plural verb ) a system of moral principles: the ethics of a culture.

the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc.: medical ethics; Christian ethics.

moral principles, as of an individual: His ethics forbade betrayal of a confidence.

( usually used with a singular verb ) that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.

Last edited by 63shelby; Tue Feb 25 2014 08:43 PM.

Pete
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I knew I would stir the pot with ethical ebay lovers. Nothing wrong with being one. You would be amazed at what the rat hole has produced over the years. It's getting a little crowded in here and harder to get a morsel, Nope, not going to change. Yes, I can agree to disagree. Good night.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Straight from eBay policies:

Some examples of activities that aren't allowed include:

Canceling a listing to sell to a buyer who found the item on eBay

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I knew I would stir the pot with ethical ebay lovers.
Has nothing to do with being an "ethical ebay lover". It's about being an ethical person.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
You would be amazed at what the rat hole has produced over the years.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards

If someone else is watching that item and they "feel robbed" because the Seller ended the Auction early, so what! They had the same opportunities to bid on the item and/or contact the Seller, as I did....

Agree 100%. Most sellers know when they have a Good item for sale and will decline most offers.
I have bought a few items via offers but make sure the seller list the item as a BIN to secure the transaction and make the seller pay for the service.

My 2˘

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Your NOT going to STOP sellers from ending the auctions early by crying about it....Ebay ALLOWS this for several reasons!
The item can be for sale locally and sold locally! I dont have to state its for sale locally either! Its NONE of your business!
1 option for ending auction is:
ITS NO LONGER FOR SALE!!!! Hmmmm And you still pay insertion fees, etc...Perfectly LEGAL!

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Also, If someone lists a killer sign you are interested in, THEN ask them to NOT END AUCTION because your auction sniper doesnt bid until the end and you have placed a large bid! smile
---------------------------------------------------------------
I have asked sellers to place a buy it now on their item!
works great and perfectly legal!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Funny how the same guys wining about following ebay rules again are the same ones breaking oldgas rules by listing items whereever they want, asking to buy items in buys of the week!, posting for pickups of pumps etc in WRONG places INTENTIONALLY because they think its NOT being seen in transportation category,
showing NON petro in buys of week, etc etc...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just got up from a good nights sleep. My personal ethics or lack thereof did not keep me awake. I don't mind not being universally loved by everyone I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin. I know this is not a news flash but life is not fair and neither is ebay. I only had to lose out on a couple good signs before i made the connection that offers were being made and signs were being sold. I can't un ring the bell it was either join em or be relegated to complain about em on sites like oldgas. So I guess that's how I got in the rat hole. So you can sit on the sidelines waiting for the playing field to level out or jump in with me. That's actually the best way to stop it, is everyone does it. Sellers figure if so much interest I'll let it run. So hate me if you want but you should really hate the game not the player. Rat hole scores:

Rat1.jpg Rat2.jpg Rat3.jpg Rat5.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Greg...please bring hwy commission sign to Peotone...I'll be paying w/ store credit wink

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Greg, (bustermonty) nice signs !, and as I stated before I respect your right to disagree and would like to thank you for keeping the "debate" clean Sir.

I had decided to let this one go last night and thought it was ended and ended well, but seems like another wants to chime in with misleading/false information, and insults/insulting comments.

"ITS NO LONGER FOR SALE!!!! Hmmmm And you still pay insertion fees, etc...Perfectly LEGAL!"

WRONG, DEAD WRONG !!, and a very slippery interpretation and comment for someone who apparently runs a business that sells to the public. I've gone over the reasons eBay allows it, lost, stolen, broken, misrepresented etc. PERIOD !! nothing more to be said. These are the facts, not a opinion or interpretation. And can very easily be proven, call eBay and ask them "can I end my auction early and sell it to someone privately who found me through you guys ? " LOL see what they say ! This isn't a "wining" or "crying" thing, the question was originally asked "do you think its right?" I don't, and seems a lot of others feel the same. I was able to make my point without insulting or offending anyone (I hope) What's next ? name calling, threats, shouting and waving your fists in the air trying to prove a false point ? LOL

I'm out of this post, and I hope if it turns any more "ugly" a Moderator will lock it.

Pete
Originally Posted By: grabber
Greg...please bring hwy commission sign to Peotone...I'll be paying w/ store credit wink

LOL...

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved