Hello All,
Looking through the results for the Peotone auction, I couldn't help but notice the Ethyl Corp. sign, lot 541. First and foremost, this post is NOT to debate the auction house selling a repro or "questionable" item, this is hoping to bring up a discussion that we have been over several times, but no clear consensus has been made on these signs.
Now I realize the sign in question is a 6" sign, but what would make the authenticity of this one more certain, while when the 8" versions come up, the majority say immediately they are repros, simply due to the hole placement? This 6" version shares the same set-up as my 8" sign, which I have said I feel is original.
As I've stated before, it's not like I paid hundreds of dollars for mine ($65) and I'm trying like heck to validate it's authenticity, I would just like to try and help get to the bottom of these signs. The biggest thing I see missing from the currently available reproductions of the 8" sign is they do not have the "REG. U.S. PAT. OFF." information at the bottom, like mine and this smaller size one in the auction. This is not to say this isn't an older reproduction, which is one of the possibilities, but it sure seems like we would see a lot of them, and from what I've seen they don't come up that often with the trademark info.
Again, just looking for some opinions on the subject, but don't want to beat a dead horse either.
Thanks everyone,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!