Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
OP Offline
W
I guess I will plunge right in here. I have googled the Internet trying to find out the background of a few promotional prints I found at a garage sale titled "See Your West". They are intriquing, and as a photographer, I appreciate the old style early color photos.

I also have two photographs by Ansel Adams and one where Robinson Jeffers wrote the narrative on the back of the print. (Pt. Lobos State Park near Monterey where I grew up.)

So-o-o-o, this could be an item that pops up here every couple of months, or it might be something very esoteric (like collecting old road maps.)

Any information or stories anybody has, or references, please let me know. I'm torn, should I be collector or a seller.

Martin

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Martin:

Welcome to Oldgas.

I'm not sure what your question refers to (or even is there is an actual question for us). This site specializes in old gas station memorabila. Are these "See Your West" prints something that shows gas stations or gas pumps? If so, you will need to post some photos for us to look at. If not, unless someone here is also into old prints, you probably won't have any luck getting any information on these images.

Later . . .

Jim

W
OP Offline
W
Thank you for the welcome! Yes, I was a bit vague with the gas station angle.

What I was referring to is this:

Chevron Oil Company. Several editions. Some 11 x 17 others 9¾ x 12. Softcover book, Maroon cardboard cover, published by the Chevron Oil Company, a Division of Standard Oil Co. of California, 1940's and 1950's. 6-1/2" x 9" tipped-in (glued to page) color photos of nature preserves in the western United States and Canada, with text on the page underneath the photo. Others are larger prints printed directly on page, with text on the reverse. 30 to 60 photos per volume. They were apparently collected by customers and glued into the book. (Photos given away free when visiting each Chervron station in the geographical area)."

Promotions by dealers of service stations is probably a whole 'nother website!

(Totally unrelated to the matter at hand, from about 1955 to 1060, my father had a Mobil Gas Station in McKeesport PA. He's still alive at 90, but all the memorobilia is gone...sigh.)

Thank you though for your courteous reply.

Martin

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Martin.... I think I saw one of the prints sell on ebay last year for about 2 or 3 dollars... the only reason I looked was that I know a guy that has an old Chevron station and there was a whole pile of them upstairs in the attic... I was kind of curious about the value.
bob

W
OP Offline
W
I think a $1 to $8 or $9 per print is the going rate at least from my continued searching.

Your friend could check out http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookSearchPL that is the URL from my search. It may not work. You may need to go to the main page at http://www.abebooks.com and enter "see your west" in the book title search field.

If you are still in touch with your friend who has the dealership, feel free to have him contact me at mb@pacific.net .

It was suggested I post a few pictures. I uploaded them to my photo album at http://www.picturetrail.com/members/edit?p=4&gid=2334238

I appreciate the kindness of this group, even to someone who deviates from the main content of oldgas.com.

Martin
Ukiah
Mendocino County, CA

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved