Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#518752 Fri Mar 07 2014 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Never had this happen before but I've got an item that ends in three hours and the bidder sends me a message saying he just doesn't want the item anymore and to cancel his bid. Can they do that? He's the only bidder and placed the bid early on in a seven day listing. What's the standard procedure you take in this case? Thanks....Gary

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Relist it. Ron Lease-Collector. ;;;;;;;;

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Let the auction run it's course. He may not win and your(his) problem will be a moot issue. Hold his feet to the fire. Way too many backsliders these days.If he doesn't want the item...he can sell it. I believe EBAY/PAYPAL will back you. I do believe at one time that there was a process for bid retraction though. That gets messy. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I believe if you won't cancel his bid, he can retract it. If you ignore his email, there may be other bids at the end, or he may be the winner. If he wins, and you both agree to cancel the sale, your fees will be refunded. Bottom line is that with eBay, the buyer is always in charge and always right......

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I just sent him a message telling him I can't just cancel his bid because he changed his mind without going through the resolution center and getting EBay involved. He writes back saying if I don't cancel it he won't pay and will hit me with negative feedback. What a jerk. I replied advising him that he will be the one hit with negative consequences from EBay, not me. Gotta love some of these people......

I did tell him that he can retract his bid from his end, but I'm sure he's too lazy to do that.

Last edited by Rabbitman; Fri Mar 07 2014 07:24 AM.
If he leaves negative feedback, ebay will remove it if you ask. I would be as polite as you can VIA ebay messages, because ebay will look at all the messages involved in the case.

I would not cancel his bid, chances are he will be outbid anyway...

After the auction ends, I would also block him from bidding on your items. You dont need a future PITA.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Also, If he ends up with the winning bid, and does not pay and you open an unpaid item case, he will receive an unpaid item strike and lose his feedback privileges on your item.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
When an auction is in the final 12 hours, the bidder cannot retract a bid. If he has not backed out like this in the past year, it is my understanding that eBay will resolve things by cancelling the transaction and refunding your selling fees. He will not be penalized. As far as threatening to give you a negative, that is against eBay policy. You can report him now for that.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Ryan. I have been very civil in my correspondence with him. There are other watchers on the item so hopefully he will get outbid. I've been lucky and never had this problem before on EBay but its bound to happen I guess. He has time to file a bid retraction before it ends so maybe he will do that. Just makes you mad that people do things like that but that's the way it is when you sell to the public. One jerk always has to surface....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SOLID advice from all
.Dave

Last edited by Catauladave; Fri Mar 07 2014 08:44 AM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree, If he tries Feedback hostage...Report him.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well, I got lucky and the guy got outbid in the end so it's all a moot point after all. Thanks for all the feedback everybody, I appreciate it....GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't let the winning bidder find out. smile

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Rabbitman
Well, I got lucky and the guy got outbid in the end so it's all a moot point after all. Thanks for all the feedback everybody, I appreciate it....GB
Glad to hear that it worked out.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved