Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey everyone,

I've been busy doing some cleaning, both around the house, and on some globe parts.

This globe was incredibly dirty when I got it, requiring disassembly for proper cleaning. Here's one of the lenses before cleaning:

There's dirt caked onto the edges of the lens, mainly at the bottom. There are also patches of dirt and stains on the back.

After cleaning with the usual Scotch Brite (no-scratch version) and toilet bowl cleaner, I get everything off except this:

What you see is an arc of what I think was a mineral deposit, containing iron. I scrubbed and scrubbed with the toilet bowl cleaner, to no avail.

Then I found this out in the garage:

This product works wonders on glass! After some fairly hard rubbing, using a damp regular sponge (not the abrasive side), I achieved perfect results. Check it out!

I had tried the toilet cleaner as well as pure, undiluted CLR, and also white vinegar. Nothing worked like the Auto Glass Stripper.

So, if you're having trouble removing staining and deposits from glass, try this product!

Wes

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes:

Thanks for the tip.

I've also found that a brand-new single edged razor blade will remove deposits like the ones on your lenses. As you found out, it's just a deposit of minerals on the surface of the actual glass. (Don't try the razor blade on the back side though.)

Later . . .

Jim

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved