Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Steve. I have seen bidders do this before. Im pretty sure they get mad because they really want an item and after multiple attempts to try and figure out the reserve with what they see as very reasonable bids. They decide to put in a number that they are confident will top the reserve. With the intentions of backing out on buying the item in the event they end up winning the auction. Im not if it's just because curiosity gets the best of them and they just have to know what it would take to meet the reserve. Or if they are so angry they want to payback the seller with a little "up yours" of their own by winning the auction and backing out on the item.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
Steven C. #519541 Mon Mar 10 2014 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
That was my cat bidding.I taught him last month and then went to work.
I thought by then he had the hang of it,but apparently I have more work to do.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Esse's Garage
Why do some of you spend so much time trying to figure out bidding patterns?? If it's something you want put in your max bid and walk away from the computer!! Looks like he was probably trying to find the reserve..........

To some it's hard to figure out bids are in $5 increments!

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
To some it's hard to figure out bids are in $5 increments!

Do you really think it was the $5 increments that I was questioning? C'mon man, try and keep up.

Last edited by Steve C.; Mon Mar 10 2014 03:02 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #519578 Mon Mar 10 2014 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm starting to realize why some get married & others never consider it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i think it was a good question and it could be done for a variety of reasons, however I have seen others do this with multiple schills....imo, these sellers think that the higher number of bids on an item, are making other potential buyers, bid.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just think that while you are looking at bidders bids. Bustermonty and Tom are swooping in on the newly listed items.
I agree with others, what does it matter if someone bids up an item. It is no different than a live auction, bid your max. If you win you win.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #519650 Mon Mar 10 2014 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Right on!

KZ1000 #519660 Mon Mar 10 2014 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm so happy for Tom and Bustermonty...LOL ....i agree with spending your limit, but "what does it matter"??? well, if the seller is bidding up his own signs, its not allowed on ebay and probably called fraud or something like that in criminal court and this should be pointed out to the most ignorant ...........

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: roadrelics
I'm so happy for Tom and Bustermonty...LOL ....i agree with spending your limit, but "what does it matter"??? well, if the seller is bidding up his own signs, its not allowed on ebay and probably called fraud or something like that in criminal court and this should be pointed out to the most ignorant ...........

FYI, it happens in all forms of Auctions.... Online Auctions and Live Auctions. I would bet that some people that consign stuff with Mathews/Morphys sit behind their keyboard and bump up bids on their own items to cover their investments. It's just the way it is and will go on forever. So just Bid what ya want to pay and if you don't win move on.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I must be reading something different, the MAIN point is you should not be able to raise your own bid on ebay, if I'm the high bidder at say $10, I can bid another 15 times say up to $500 and my bid should remain at $10 because there's no one there to make it rise. The exception is if there's a reserve, if it was at $250 my bid would go there and stay, even if I kept bidding. Look at the page that was posted from ebay, it should not be possible but I saw this once before. I have no explanation for it but I see what you mean.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Looks like the seller's reserve was $549.00. What 's the big mystery?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[/quote]FYI, it happens in all forms of Auctions.... Online Auctions and Live Auctions. I would bet that some people that consign stuff with Mathews/Morphys sit behind their keyboard and bump up bids on their own items to cover their investments. It's just the way it is and will go on forever. So just Bid what ya want to pay and if you don't win move on.[/quote]

is this some kind of joke?? you come on here bashing and bullying the member who started this thread, then you bash Matthews/Morphy's or their consigners ??? then you tell us how to bid??? .LOL LOL.... thanks for the advice....

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I appreciate most everyone's thoughts on the matter but just let it go. I thought the one last mega high bid seemed awfully strange and just wondered what some of you might have had to say about it. I now believe it had nothing to do with the seller and was just some guy who jumped in high just to find out the reserve and he never had any intention of paying. It's actually kind of pathetic on his part.
Dont let it stir the pot around here. It's no biggy.

Last edited by Steve C.; Tue Mar 11 2014 07:15 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved