Next Thread
Print Thread
#5201 Sun May 09 2004 06:50 AM
+
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
+
With all the beautiful 15" globes coming into our hobby from Pogo, Vintage Logo's ,and Pergl,I was wondering if there is anyone producing a 15" ripple globe body, these lenses would be great being displayed with a ripple body . does anyone know if they ever made a 15" ripple bodys ? I can see a A Jenny with a orange ripple, a Michigan Maid with a Green ripple body, how about a Richfield Aviation with a Blue ripple , these lenses would be awesome with these bodys , anyone willing to step up and start producing some?

Chris Holt
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#5202 Sun May 09 2004 09:23 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Talked to Mike about that just the other day. The last guy making them quit because of the expents. for the 13 1/2 lenses you can buy at 49.00 to 65.00 , to pay 250.00 for a body was to much for the small globe collector to pay. so he quit. Now to buy a 15" set of lens, that looks better on a taller pump at 175.00. an pay 350.00 for a 15" ripple?
Most guys will not do that. Its funny. guys will buy a pump = 600 - 1,000. put about 200 in paint , more if they need body work.
then turn around and put a 13 1/2" globe on it because they can get them for 49 - 69 .
But they will ask about the original paint codes. How many times have we heard that, (I want to keep it as original as possible) then put a 13 1/2" globe on a 36-b,or a visable. or put a big crown globe on a short 39. For example = Signal, Polly, Gilmore, Richfield, Associated , did not have 13 1/2 " globes. but you have to do what you feel is right for your pump. We at Vintage-logos, when we took pictures of the globes we have in our files we measured them or asked the owner about the size. there is only one that we will do that I know of that was 11" and we will make it a 15" the black Fry Drop. ever seen it??? any way fellow collectors its your pump do what ever you like , I will still like it.

------------------
Dwaine
www.vintage-logos.com

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 05-09-2004).]

#5203 Sun May 09 2004 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris,
15" ripples were never made. I don't expect anyone to make them anytime soon either. The guy that was making the 13 1/4" ripples recently went belly up. I heard that only 40% of the repro ripples made it through quality control. I don't know why the failure rate was so high, but thats why the repro ripples cost so much.

Dwaine, You're right. The market was pretty soft on the repro ripples compared to what the originals cost. A couple of things you mentioned aren't totally accurate though. The Tok 36B has been around since 1936. 13 1/2" capco globes have been around since 1932 and 13 1/2" glass bodies since 1928.
Standard Crowns were used until 1962 so it would be perfectly OK to put one on a 39.
Richfield from L.A. used only 15" globes. Richfield from N.Y. used several 13 1/2" globes. Associated used at least seven different 13 1/2" globes. Tidewater-Associated used only 13 1/2" globes.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#5204 Sun May 09 2004 03:32 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
All the west coast Associated I ever seen Bob was 15". maybe Tydol stations had them and the flying a on the right side of the rockys, but I don't call Tydol , Associated.
Tydol to me was Tidewater, right side of the rockys. Associated was left side, just me Bob. and the big crown globes just don't look good on a small pump. and when I speak Richfield its the left side that is better looking, 15" ha ha agin just me Bob.

------------------
Dwaine
www.vintage-logos.com

#5205 Sun May 09 2004 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Associated started using 13 1/2" globes after the war. Tydol had used them as far back as the twenties.

The Richfield Gasoline Of Power and Aviation globes are great, but the Blue Flash and Bluestreak globes are very plain. By the way, those globes were used by the entire company before the east-west split. I really like the Art Deco eagle on the Richfield of N.Y. globes.

Yeah, I've seen the 12" Fyre Drop with the black background. That has to look awesome lit up!
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved