Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#523153 Mon Mar 24 2014 10:56 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
it been close to 15 yrs since i was restoring alot of pumps. life etc just seemed to get in the way along with other interests. now that i'm fixing to do 3-4 pumps, i'm finding it really hard to locate a "one stop shop" for resto supplies. a few of the places i used to deal with are no longer in business & seems to me as if the others i've found carry a little of this & that, but seems like i'll have to shop at 2-3 places to get what i need. e.g.on one pump, the place that has the globe i want doesnt carry the matching decal. the place with the decal carries a different globe. the place that carries both wants about twice the price as the others etc... have things changed that much? who are you guys currently using for supplies?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This hobby is not a "Walmart" hobby, each supplier has overhead he must cover and he sets his prices. Also, each supplier does not have a place where he goes to,to buy his "globes, decals," he is the one who decides if he should invest money in a decal he has never had a request for.

This is not like restoring cars, compared to that, this is a small hobby and we should be glad our suppliers are willing to invest money in items that they may never sell two of.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #523167 Tue Mar 25 2014 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like Past Gas in Cocoa Beach FL, personal friendly service.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #523173 Tue Mar 25 2014 05:10 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Gas Pump Heaven is probably as close to having most of the common things at good prices. They are also willing to do some custom work.

Ron Scobie is great for harder to find thing and will also help you with some recasting of hard to find parts.

Tways is a good place for globes and matching decals.

Jim at Petrorelics is my favorite for cloth hoses

Jack Sim #523222 Tue Mar 25 2014 08:57 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
This hobby is not a "Walmart" hobby, each supplier has overhead he must cover and he sets his prices. Also, each supplier does not have a place where he goes to,to buy his "globes, decals," he is the one who decides if he should invest money in a decal he has never had a request for.

This is not like restoring cars, compared to that, this is a small hobby and we should be glad our suppliers are willing to invest money in items that they may never sell two of.

Jack Sim

jack,

i fully understand what you are saying, it just seems to me that the hobby has grown by leaps & bounds in the last 20 yrs with the advent of "pickers" shows, internet etc. but seems that the suppliers have dropped off. usually when there is growth in one area, related areas grow too. look at the car restoration you mentioned. 20 yrs ago, i had 2-3 vendors i used for mustang parts that carried everything. now, there are dozens. interest grew & business grew right along with it. i know each business person has to make hard decisions on whats best for them, but the other point i was making is that as a business owner, if i carried one certain globe, i would carry the decal that matches it. just seems like common sense to me. take your air meter parts for example: you sell all of the chrome trim parts to restore a eco 90's series meter. now, if you only carried the face trim ring, hose hook & crank handle in chrome & carried the 'balanced inflation" piece & hose hook cover on the bottom in raw steel, how many people looking to order would turn to another vendor that carried it all in chrome vs. ordering a few parts here, a few there etc?

dont get me wrong, i'm not down on you, in fact, i'll be placing an order soon with you for parts on my new meter i picked up. why? because its well known that you are the "go to" guy when it comes to air meters & you carry all the parts for one stop shopping!

now days shipping is the killer, add up shipping charges on 5 different orders from 5 different places & you can throw the budget right out the window!

KZ1000 #523225 Tue Mar 25 2014 08:59 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: KZ1000

does walt still own/run that place? i used to buy ALOT of stuff from him back in the day. sure wish they had a website.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: SKomatinsky
Gas Pump Heaven is probably as close to having most of the common things at good prices. They are also willing to do some custom work.

Ron Scobie is great for harder to find thing and will also help you with some recasting of hard to find parts.

Tways is a good place for globes and matching decals.

Jim at Petrorelics is my favorite for cloth hoses

thanks! they are at the top of my list & actually scanned their websites last night looking for parts/supplies.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: sellersrodshop
Originally Posted By: KZ1000

does walt still own/run that place? i used to buy ALOT of stuff from him back in the day. sure wish they had a website.

http://www.pastgas.com/

Collecting Supertest and Canadian oil cans
Johnay #523269 Tue Mar 25 2014 12:53 PM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Vendors listed on Oldgas..... they must be OK or they wouldn't be there.

http://www.oldgas.com/pp_book2.htm

huskybob #523283 Tue Mar 25 2014 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Careful here guys! YEARS ago I posted to someone, "Go to the source Gas Pump Heaven". Got a scathing email from Ron Scobie and he won't sell to me, answer emails, NADA. And I am far from the only one.
Best thing you could say is do your home work or list a bunch you know of.

Larry Bieghler

Last edited by st.rod; Tue Mar 25 2014 01:38 PM.

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
st.rod #523293 Tue Mar 25 2014 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Same here Larry. I've survived.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #523295 Tue Mar 25 2014 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
lol

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
st.rod #523305 Tue Mar 25 2014 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Get your facts straight Larry. It was a one word email from me-"Thanks"
after your post here on Olgas on 1/24/2006 "When you nee(sic)parts go to gaspumpheaven. They are the suppliers to all the vendors".
After that you and Morgan trashed me on Cheese's site.
If your convictions are so strong why would you then hide behind your daughter to order parts from me?
No more from me

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
st.rod #523310 Tue Mar 25 2014 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
All businesses mentioned are great resources.
I appreciate their diversity today,as that's what makes this hobby go round.
Also try Tom Buckles,(Tbuckles on here),in Indiana when looking for original used parts too.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Cold Pizza #523315 Tue Mar 25 2014 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just got two ethyl stickers from gas pump haven got here in three days and are perfect.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved