Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#523161 Tue Mar 25 2014 02:41 AM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
As I approach the age of 79, this will be the last thing I will attempt to do.

Problems are, I just can't find any quantity of pictures/information on old pumps, or pumps that I know that were made, but again just don't have any info on them.

This is a general observation of what I hope the book will look like;

Possibly:
1. Most of the stuff in the front of the book will be eliminated. It will be available on my website and on at least one other website, so it will always be out there.
2. As much of the "white" will be eliminated, meaning, all the pumps will be the same size, possibly slightly reduced in size and showing 12 per page.
3. All oil related dispensers will be moved to their own section and as many of them will be shown (remember this is a Gas Pump Book).
4. All pump lights will be moved to their own section making it easier to determine which one you have found, or want to find.
5. Section showing outside sight glasses only. This way you can look up the SG you need and know what it should look like.
6. Section showing the little number attachments that are on what we call the sticks found in visible pump.
7. Possibly a section showing the pump handles (I don't mean nozzles).

So, lets take a look at the book as suggested above.
1. Not much in the front of the book, acknowledgements for sure because I am really appreciative of the pictures many have sent me.
2. Not much anything else, will have to explain what the terms mean as there are always new people coming into the hobby.
3. 300+ pages of gas pumps only (remember, this is a gas pump book. Gas pumps shown will cover all the way to 1975 (that is approx. when then the digital pumps came out).
4. Visible numbers, outside sight glasses and then pump lights.
5. Anything having to do with oil dispensers (I will not use the word Lubster in the book), grease dispensers (very few of them), and oil can racks.

As many of you know, I write articles for CTO and they are mostly based on what you will find on the island. That is my intent of the book. (Maybe later, I'll move into the station and write a book as to what you might expect to find depending on what year.

In a whole bunch of words, "A TRUE GAS PUMP BOOK".

More to come, but I wish to mention this.

I am not the only one in this hobby who has accumulated a great deal of gas pump literature. Two others have also accumulated a great deal of literature. Since I have not seen either of these collections, I have no idea if they have information I do not have. I approached one of them asking "Why don't we combine our collections and really put out a ID book?" He has his own ideas and declined my suggestion. The other gentleman and I do not get along, and I don't believe we have ever spoken more that 100 words between us over the last 10 years, but recently he found my email address and sent me an email calling me a "***** hole." I never asked him to join our collections, but from his response, I don't think it will happen.

Now I need to offer an appoligize. I receive 3-4 email per day (with attachments of pictures) from individuals, museums, pickers, you name it, who want me to ID a pump and of course tell them what the value of the pump is.
Over a 10 year period, I have lost three computers from opening attachments that I shouldn't have opened.
So...My present security is so tight, it is eliminating some things I really didn't want to be eliminated. Some of you have sent me pictures, and this is where I apologize, most have just dissapeared of my computer.

I will be emailing many of you asking for particular pictures you might have, I will also be posting pictures that were sent to me, but what they show disappeared.

In the meantime, take a look through my book, many pictures a just plain bad, but they were the best I had at the time.

One last thing, If you have a pic of a pump that is not shown in either book, or a better pic of a pump that is in the book, please send it to me. Your name will be acknowledged in the front of the book, whether or not the pic is used.

Tomorrow I will explain how to take a picture so that I can use it.

Please, all of you, go through the last book, look clearly at each picture and ask yourselves, do I have, or can I take a better of a pump that is what is shown in the book?

Some of you will be getting individual emails requesting info on certain pump, only because you know more about the pump that I do.

Jack & Cindy Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just a brief note to let you know that I have both of your pump books, which have been invaluable to me during my 19 years of pump collecting. (I'm aware of the fact that your first book wasn't published until after I started collecting.)

I believe I have a couple of pumps that aren't pictured in either of your books and two or three others that are represented by drawings only. I'll be sure to look for your photo instructions and get pictures out to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for everything you have done for the hobby.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have both of your pump books and your air meter book. I do not have an air meter yet but I think it is a good reference book on the hobby. I probably have about 35 oil and gas collectibles books and would add gas pump volume three to my collection if you have one published. I have 12 pumps, all common ones and three oil dispensers and have access to others if pictures are needed.
And what he said, thanks for what you have done for the hobby

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Hi Jack can't wait to see your new book good luck. Scott B.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would be happy to help Jack, I have thousands of pump pictures, definitely some that were not in either edition. I will start going through them and make a file, and will send you a list.

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack I as well have both your books and will purchase the 3rd if/when published. I only own 2 pumps but still use the books all the time. They are invaluable...

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great work, keep it up.

Information/knowledge that is not shared is eventually lost. Sometimes, it can only be attained with the help of those who possess it.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I commend you for taking on such a large project. I hope a lot of people contribute the materials that you need. I will definitely be purchasing one.
Being a newby I want to thank you for your contributions to this disease oop's I mean hobby.I have gathered lots of information from your post that I would not of without a lot of research on my own.
I now crown you Dr. Of Pump's and Air Meters!
smile

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
great news Jack! I love the ideas and look forward to adding the new one to my collection. They always come in handy and are always close by!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
L
L
Jack
Glad you are willing to do another book. I will be glad to help you again with the Rush pump section. I have several new pictures that you haven't seen. I have pictures of Model J, Model 6, D-1,O-1,O-2 that didn't make into the last book. I can provide pictures of the two different pump handles they used and some close up pictures that show the difference between the Model J,H,F,K,I. that sometimes causes confusion. The three different I.D tags they used and correct nozzle for the model H&I. I even have pictures of the internal parts for the coin operated stove pipe. Maybe we can get together at Columbus so I can show you this information.
Lynn

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, I have many shots of the more common pumps , many in original condition , in use and many with a globe intact even. Since you do not accept a P-M , how do wish them submitted sir ? Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great news Jack! I can't wait.

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,
I have your first book only, but then I don't find that many US pumps over here that I need to identify...

Just wanted to ask - are you interested in receiving any pictures of the Swedish pumps? I have lots of pictures and I I own one pump of each type made between 1927 and 1960.
I could supply pictures of the British made Gilbarcos, but maybe someone fron GB would do a better job.
thanks,
Claes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great news Jack. Do you have an idea of when it would be published? In a year or two? I can't wait.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
fast66:
I have 41 file drawers filled with service station literature. About 20 of them are for the gas pump literature, but in all the years of buying this lit. I have only purchased one piece of lit. from Europe.
Just as you cannot find many US pumps over there, we cannot find many European pumps over here.
While my U.S. book buyers are looking to identify pumps, they don't run across many pumps from Europe.

I am not trying to be smart, buy maybe it is the right time for you to think about writing a book on European pumps.

Speedracer:
This book is taking me longer to write than the last one. The first book took over a year to write, (my wife said she was so glad when I finished it, she was tired of looking at the back of my head). The second book was just a up-date of the first, but this time I am trying to write what will truly be a gas pump book.
I wish I could say the book would be ready by the CTO convention in Columbus, but I don't think that will happen. I am shooting to get it done and printed before Iowa Gas. The reason is obvious.

Jack

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved