Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5246 Wed Nov 13 2002 04:43 PM
T
treeman Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I am going to paint my G&B Model 996 pump with Texaco Red. I went to NAPE Store today and they looked up Texaco Red NAPA Number S3642 whic is listed as Acrylic Enamel. Is this a good match and is it good paint for a pump.
Thanks

Steve,Maine
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#5247 Wed Nov 13 2002 09:54 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The last article I wrote for "Check the Oil!" magazine was about painting a gas pump. You should consider subscribing and getting the back issue.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#5248 Thu Nov 14 2002 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
On paint code questions it is always good to try the "Search" function - lots of answers.

Rgds
Claes

#5249 Thu Nov 14 2002 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Treeman, Be carefull because a lot of the paint codes you go in to paint stores and ask for are for todays colors. I did the same thing and painted my air meter and in the can it looked good but if i would have gotten it on a pump i wouldn't have been happy. Go to a local automotive paint store and ask for there old fleet books. The old paint codes will be there or the easy way it to take a sign in and have them scan it. Good luck.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#5250 Thu Nov 14 2002 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Treeman:

Texaco red is listed as 7008 in PPG Ditzler. This is a color code from a 1960 Color Chart. Check with your counterperson to see if the code is still good. If not, he/she will be able to tell you the new code. The acrylic enamel is good paint. You can get a catalized clear to put over it that can be sanded and rubbed out. I prefer PPG Urethanes - but that's just me.

Jarvis has a point - if you want it to match a specific sign/decal, don't obsess about the color. It will look better if it matches your sign/decal than it will if it is a perfect match to a paint code from 40 years ago. Unless you get some paint that is off by a mile, no one will ever know.

I always get all my signage prior to buying/shooting ANY final color and make sure that it matches. That way, when I'm in the final assembly stage - I know that everything is going to match. No suprises!

Keep restoring those pumps!

Jim

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 11-15-2002).]

#5251 Thu Nov 14 2002 04:23 PM
F
F
T-Way has a good point...was trying to get a Texaco red which was used between after 1947 for a 50's style pump..wanted to go with single stage paint..found only two colors available in a Centari, even though four were listed but the dates were not there and only two were available. The one selected seemed to be a little on the orange side so we got a little red tint and matched the red to a porcelain fire chief sign. After buffing and glazing you would think it was done in a clearcoat. The color looks great, may not be absolutely correct but I'm happy

#5252 Thu Nov 14 2002 09:03 PM
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
Treeman ,chech out the showcase for my Texeco Firechief pump ,the code is 7008 it's a perfect match, take my word for it, it's the right code. trust me. Chris

Chris Holt
#5253 Fri Nov 15 2002 02:52 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
"Treeman" -

Just a couple of suggestions, if you want your FIRE-CHIEF pump to be authentic:

FIRE-CHIEF pumps were to be painted ALL "TEXACO-red", other than the base - which was to be painted black.

If you're going to put a globe on your pump, bear in mind that FIRE-CHIEF pumps were outfitted with the TEXACO trademark globe (i.e., the red star/green "T" logo) on a white frame. You will frequently see pumps which folks have "restored" bearing a globe fashioned after the FIRE-CHIEF pump plate (the fire chief helmet logo). This globe is a "fantasy" globe which someone concocted a few years ago, and a lot of people have come to think that it is authentic. It is not! FIRE-CHIEF pumps had the trademark globe, and SKY CHIEF pumps (which were ALL aluminum)had a distinctive SKY CHIEF logo globe.

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana
#5254 Wed Mar 08 2006 07:05 PM
C
C
I'm restoring a Bennett 646 (this is my first pump restoration) I work in a body shop and we use PPG I called for the code 7008 like mentioned in previous post. The customer service says this color is a gray color. I want a Texaco red. PPG is researching this, I will be back with the info. I have no idea what pump this was. I don't know what signs and placement. Does anyone have some good pics in the Texaco scheme. Thanks

#5255 Wed Mar 08 2006 07:49 PM
Welcome to Oldgas.com, Cooter.
There are some Texaco gas pumps in our Gas Pump Image Album . Try checking Vintagegas.com as well. Remember that all pumps pictured are not necessarily restored according to historically correct color schemes or globe and sign usage. The book PCM Guide to Gas Pump Restoration has 1100 gas pump images with researched color schemes with globes and signs.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#5256 Wed Mar 08 2006 08:09 PM
F
F
When we did my pump I used a 1998 Dodge Ram pickup code (red). Pleasing to the eye and nearly matches Texaco Red. Easy to get, and picked up a dupli-color tube for any touch ups that may be needed in the future. With grandkids in the house nicks are bound to happen. Think about a modern color.

GBA
#5257 Thu Mar 09 2006 03:29 PM
C
C
I've used Midwest Paint Co. for original pump colors and they seem to have most colors. Check them out at their site - GasPumpColor.com. Service has been good and prices seem to be reasonable. I found them through this site.

------------------

#5258 Fri Mar 10 2006 09:34 PM
C
C
Update for paint code. The paint code is actually 70008 from PPG not 7008. I recieved a sample today and it is a great match.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved