Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
I'm going to take a guess at this, as that's all we can do; till we come up with some photographs that will definitively lay this issue to rest.

I'm looking at the photograph that 57tbirdkid posted. To me it appears as it the sign has a wooden frame around it. Would it be fair to assume that the smaller holes around the perimeter are to secure the wooden frame? The larger holes in turn are to secure the sign to the surface it was being mounted to i.e. wall/building. In my opinion, pre-drilled mounting holes aren't too great a stretch of the imagination. It was not as easy to drill holes in the field as it is today.

good logical answer.. cool

RANDY
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Makes sense to me Dave. They had to be used for something or why waste the time to drill them in the first place? Thanks for helping. This sign must cover a long period of time as having a mixed period car collection, I see in the photographs older thin width tires such as T size yet in the other photo early 30s possible 32 or 33s that would fit my 26,000 mile original 33 coupe. (5.25/5.50-17).
FREE CASE OF BEER AT IOWA GAS TO ANYONE THAT CAN COME UP WITH A PICTURE OF THIS SIGN MOUNTED BY THE INSIDE HOLES !

1 BAD ZR1 #523245 Tue Mar 25 2014 11:03 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
didn't some of these come with "chrystals" like the stop signs? could it be for them?

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By: chuck harders
didn't some of these come with "chrystals" like the stop signs? could it be for them?

Signs which used such would have had many holes... in this case we are talking a total of 8 holes.

To the previous response, yes those outer holes are for a wood frame, but it's just as easy to put hangers in the wood frame as having holes in the sign itself (consider all the horizontal & vertical porcelain signs we see that only have the outer holes for that purpose.

I would think there must be some order book somewhere that shows this sign. The internet has much information but there are far more paper documents that have never been scanned into OCR or other imaging systems.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just a thought. I wondered if the sign could have also been used on the ends of a tire rack or on the side panels of delivery trucks. What are the hole centers going horizontal? Maybe they are the same measurement as wall stud centres?

Daryl
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hmm.... first Firestone Neon sign in that color/era i've ever seen.....

junior25 #523360 Tue Mar 25 2014 05:59 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Ok Daryl here you are: Measurement between grommets on outside edge of sign in white is 10 in center to center

top 1/2 inch holes in question are 32 in center to center

Middle 1/2 in holes in question are 45 inches center to center

Of course another middle and then bottom row same as two above

Said sign is 4 ft wide by 20 in tall

Sign in blue enamel is made by BALTIMORE ENAMEL,200 FIFTH AVE.N.Y. right hand bottom corner in the white border.
Questioned holes are all porcelain inside so were factory drilled then porcelain
Got me on this one guys. Why would anyone set up a special jig other than the grommets for these holes if never used. By the way, I have owned this sign over 20 yrs. But again, most of these signs including mine have small chips by some of the 1/2 holes showing they WERE USED for something. Good size bolt, lag, for something? Thanks for the help

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I had done a lot of research on firestone signs when I first found mine . I was told mine was not double sided but two porcelain signs inside the frame. Of course I took mine apart and it is just one double sided sign. They must have made many different ones but the holes are strange.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
coheley5 #523411 Tue Mar 25 2014 07:51 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
coheley5, do you have the unused holes in your sign?

1 BAD ZR1 #523448 Wed Mar 26 2014 12:39 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I also think it was used on a tire rack, Holes are wrong for neon or cats eyes.

R D
rd_signs #523473 Wed Mar 26 2014 06:07 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Seems like to todays standards the 32" would work for 16" stud centres but older buildings from what I have seen used 24" stud centres so this doesn't fit. As far as the tire rack theory it could be a possibility but the measurement seems too wide to hold tires. I would assume using 1/2" holes that the sign would be incorporated into the rack structure. Most early tires had a 30" outside diameter so unless the cross beams in the rack were narrower the tire would just fall through.

Daryl
junior25 #523534 Wed Mar 26 2014 10:30 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Your dead on Daryl. With 1/2 in holes, the company must have had thoughts of mounting these on a building. (that is a large hole for just a tire rack or something), Like I said on another post, there are small chips on several of the 1/2 in holes on mine and definitely were used. For what I don't think we will ever know. I offered a case or two of beer at Iowa GAS to anyone that could produce a picture of this sign mounted - no takers. My sign had to be mounted with the small chips right beside the holes but it is a mystery that no photos seem to exist of it in that state. Guess I will just look up on the wall and always wonder. My dad's tire racks in his Texaco stations with the BIG tires of the 50s never would have been wide enough for this sign. Just like my car and gas collection - if only they could talk what stories we would hear. Thanks to all. Rob

1 BAD ZR1 #525240 Tue Apr 01 2014 05:36 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry for thr slow answer but there are no extra holes in my sign only the bolt holes around the outside edge.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
M
Moe Offline
M
Def a nice sign but does not look like neon whole. Looks like some sort of wholes to mount it somewhere. Where is the question?

Good find...!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved