Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
just came across this 5 gal oil can it has vavoline across the the top its marked light oil and has the indian name with red wings across the lower portion of the can which is in nice shape and stamped CANCO on the bottom. It has a NYC address on it! think its pre WWI I have pics if interested and this url should bring you to one of them. Im trying to figure out how old this and what the approximate value may be . let me know what you guys think ive been looking onlie for awhile now and havent seen one like this before thanks alot jim PIC URL http://www.myitem.com/imagedetails.html?ImageID=540604985

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I don't believe your unit is pre WW I as I don't believe they made five-gallon cans before that time. Five gallons cans have limited value, if you collect them, you put a value on them. Very few collectors collect five gallons cans. I would say, put it on Ebay for any starting value and see what it brings, this will tell you what it is worth.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
'midst all my other HAVOLINE and INDIAN REFINING COMPANY "stuff", I have a full-page HAVOLINE Oil advertisement (which I'm looking at as I write) from the August 25, 1910 edition of "The Literary Digest". The last line of the ad reads, "To be had in 1, 5 and 10 gallon cans, half barrels and barrels ...". That's odd. Seems to me that 1910 would have been before World War I, no? (No charge for the information, by the way, Jack.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Sim:
I don't believe your unit is pre WW I as I don't believe they made five-gallon cans before that time. Five gallons cans have limited value, if you collect them, you put a value on them. Very few collectors collect five gallons cans. I would say, put it on Ebay for any starting value and see what it brings, this will tell you what it is worth.

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana
J
OP Offline
J
dont want to start a war guys!! im gonna list it on ebay tonight and see what it brings thanks for all the help jim

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved