Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
I am a bit confused on what you mean by that? Im going to tell you right now that I'm aware that I don't know what I have... I'm just trying to be safe about it. It isn't the easiest thing to learn about all I'm asking for is guidance.

Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
I am going out on a limb here, But honesty is the best policy here. If someone thinks that there is a potential problem they will blast it out. Do not beat around the bush, for your own sake.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
89sheepdog #530274 Tue Apr 22 2014 08:42 PM
OP Offline
Im having a hard enough time navigating through this forum

89sheepdog #530278 Tue Apr 22 2014 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
After a Post/Reply, DON'T use the Back Option [it will look like your post Wasn't Submitted].
Go to one of the above Replys & EDIT DELETE THIS POST.

See the topic in our Frequently Asked Questions ...

What is my item worth?
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=244599

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #530281 Tue Apr 22 2014 09:10 PM
OP Offline
Thanks old gas!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Oldgas
See the topic in our Frequently Asked Questions ...

What is my item worth?
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=244599

89sheepdog #530287 Tue Apr 22 2014 09:35 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I guess I do not know why so are so afraid of asking direct questions about specific signs. These are people all over the country and someone is not going to come over and pay you a visit without your permission. We have all had stuff that was either really rare or stuff we have stumbled onto, no one says you have to sell anything. If needed, ask the moderator for specific people who could help you and thus possibly eliminate everyone knowing your business.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personally, I would just take some pics of what you have and post them here. You seem to have a good attitude, which will go a long way here. I believe you might be surprised with how helpful some people will be in helping you out.

I'd be more aware of the WOLVES sending you PM's (Personal Messages) to buy the stuff from you, than someone coming over to your house and stealing from you.

EDIT: Just read some of your previous posts. If you do post post pics, leave them on for more than a day. Not everyone looks at this site 24-7.

Also, be honest with what your intentions are- are you collecting?... or looking for what price to ask when you decide to sell? Not accusing you of anything, just confused of what your intentions are, from previous comments.

Last edited by GILMORE; Tue Apr 22 2014 10:20 PM.

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
GILMORE #530293 Tue Apr 22 2014 10:16 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I get emails and calls all the time from people who want to know the value of some gas pump or air meter. Most times I tell them that this phone call is why I wrote the books, but while they may have a $1500 gas pump, they don't want to spend the cost of the book (I know the book is out of print, but I got probably 40 requests per week when the book was available).

The thing I always ask the people is why do you need the value? If you intend to keep the item the value isn't relevent, if you intend to sell the item, put it on Ebay or turn it over to a good auction house.

You stated above, "Im trying to learn man I don't want to get ripped off." How can you be getting ripped off on something you didn't even buy?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
GILMORE #530299 Tue Apr 22 2014 11:52 PM
OP Offline
I love this stuff to be honest I think its awesome and I really dig the american artwork, The more I read about it the more fascinated I am with how this all works and the history behind it. I do want to keep some and have my own collection but most of all I want to know and learn about the signs more because I would hate to just up and get rid of everything without knowing. The purpose of this post was to just get some information about some of the things I have for myself without having some sign guy come over and try and give me an offer to buy everything, I already just feel like Im being attacked because I don't know anything about this. Crazy pm's from people and some nice pm's from people. I have realized its going to take a lot of my own work and research to find out what it is I'm looking for. See you guys at the next show

Originally Posted By: GILMORE
Personally, I would just take some pics of what you have and post them here. You seem to have a good attitude, which will go a long way here. I believe you might be surprised with how helpful some people will be in helping you out.

I'd be more aware of the WOLVES sending you PM's (Personal Messages) to buy the stuff from you, than someone coming over to your house and stealing from you.

EDIT: Just read some of your previous posts. If you do post post pics, leave them on for more than a day. Not everyone looks at this site 24-7.

Also, be honest with what your intentions are- are you collecting?... or looking for what price to ask when you decide to sell? Not accusing you of anything, just confused of what your intentions are, from previous comments.

89sheepdog #530300 Tue Apr 22 2014 11:58 PM
OP Offline
Ill post a few pieces in the for sale section soon because there are a few things I want to sell that I have found prices on.

89sheepdog #530308 Wed Apr 23 2014 04:40 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry I can't help much on American sign values but I am a collector and can offer advice. Don't rush into this and first figure out your own situation. Everybody has different circumstances but from what I gathered on your last post you might just enjoy this hobby the same as your Grandpa did. I sure wish I had have been left another mans passion. Once you sell an item it's gone along with the memories.

Daryl
junior25 #530333 Wed Apr 23 2014 06:36 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Yo Dog! Post up some pics of the collection in general. We would love to see it! People post their stuff all the time on here. It's all part of the fun. We all enjoy seeing other pieces.
I dont understand what you are afraid of? Did I miss something?

Last edited by Steve C.; Wed Apr 23 2014 06:37 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #530360 Wed Apr 23 2014 08:35 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
X2 post up some pics!

Highway66 #530372 Wed Apr 23 2014 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you are looking for values, post pics here...if wanting to "show off"..LOL..post pics in Showcase Section. Welcome to Oldgas

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #530538 Thu Apr 24 2014 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...if you're worried about people stealing your images, post smaller photos, or group shots...

"I do want to keep some and have my own collection but most of all I want to know and learn about the signs more because I would hate to just up and get rid of everything without knowing."

...I don't really know what you mean by this - if you want 'to keep some', I'm not sure how you'd 'get rid of everything'...I mean, either you want to collect this stuff, or you don't...

...if I were you - I'd lay low, and wear eBay and the other aforementioned sites out, get as much info as you can, THEN decide what to do...find similar items in upcoming auctions and make a point to note the condition and what they sell for...if you can't/don't want to keep everything, then you have to decide whether to keep the things you like, or the things that are the best long-term investment - they might very well be the same things...

...one way or another, selling or keeping - if you don't want to get 'ripped off', you're going to have to put some long hours in...like most of us have...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Thu Apr 24 2014 06:54 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved