Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
the problem isnt the parts & whether or not they're made, its dishonest people who misrepresent them. dont know how you are going to fix that issue, been a problem since the beginning of time.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: sellersrodshop
the problem isnt the parts & whether or not they're made, its dishonest people who misrepresent them. dont know how you are going to fix that issue, been a problem since the beginning of time.

Not necessarily. Collector's today buy these parts and then fake/clone items. Then their kids sell the items and are convinced that their father was a great collector who would never collect anything less then original.... I'm sure you see the picture now.

I buy collections and estates on a regular basis and run into the above scenario all the time.

Anybody who takes an ECO 242, 244 or 248 and converts it into ECO 246 by adding a goose neck is cloning or faking an ECO 246. These recast parts enable them to do it. I personally fail to see what good can come from this.

I've never been a fan of clone cars and "clone" gas & oil items will never sit well with me. I'm an even lesser fan of augmented breasts.

Original DNA is what excites me! wink

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Last time I checked,,, North America wasn't a communist country,,, let everyone do what they want, if you want a clone/repro then so be it.. lets stop trying to control everyone else..
RELAX !!!!!!!! IT'S JUST A HOBBY ( for most )
I personally take offense to someone trying to tell me what I can make, manufacture, collect, buy, sell, we live in a democracy , ( I hope )?

Last edited by Wes Hague; Mon Apr 28 2014 04:18 AM.

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
I'm an even lesser fan of augmented breasts.

Original DNA is what excites me! wink

i like em' all. gotta remember, even when they have been enhanced, they still come in the original packaging!!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
First I want to comment on this

Yes I was asked to make these 2 parts
Why is everone Complaining , The first guy said the Key words (REPOP)

If I did make new front doors I would Laser itch Reproduction on the inside of the front door !!!

Maybe a guy would buy a goose neck or a door cause he cant find one

Look at a 1970 Cuda

I have a stock 1970 Cuda with a motor no likes 426 hemi had it since High school

Now its all stock # Number mathing car ,
When I see a clone one it dont make me mad, I feel real lucky to have a ORIGINAL one .

The guy that has the clone is not a bad guy.
Its one of two things.
(1)He cant afford one.
(2)He cant find one .
So what is wrong with building a clone or buying one?

When pulled next to each other they look very close but mine is worth much more .
There are also building complete 1955 chevy Convertibles , I dont see people freaking out on them .

People buy them cause the cant find a nice bady to redo !

Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Sid! Tried to send a PM, it says the box is full. As I stated in post #2 I would be a buyer for a gooseneck.

Thanks

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great example. I have 2 Shelby Mustangs but I also have no problem with the clone cars either. I've seen some nice ones but I can tell real from repop.
"Imitation is the greatest kind of flattery"

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I sell more ECO parts than anyone else in the world. I never gave a thought to reproducing the above two items (actually it should be three items, how about the base that the gooseneck bolts to?), because there is not enough call for them to spend the kind of money it would take to make them. If you like to look at inventory sitting on a shelf, go for it.

I do have a question. Just going to pick one item.

The original diaphragm used in the Model 90 meters are gone, "originals" cannot be found. We do make them because there is a large demand. Is it necessary that I go to the expense of having them marked "REPRODUCTION" and should I also feel obligated to advertise them as "REPRODUCTION?" Should I worry about the children of the buyer telling someone that the diaphragm is the only reproduction part in the meter?

My customers never question the parts originality, they are just glad the part is still available.

I like Wes' post so much I am going to repeat it:

Last time I checked,,, North America wasn't a communist country,,, let everyone do what they want, if you want a clone/repro then so be it.. lets stop trying to control everyone else..
RELAX !!!!!!!! IT'S JUST A HOBBY ( for most )
I personally take offense to someone trying to tell me what I can make, manufacture, collect, buy, sell, we live in a democracy , ( I hope )?

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon Apr 28 2014 12:22 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: JUNK KING
Great example. I have 2 Shelby Mustangs but I also have no problem with the clone cars either. I've seen some nice ones but I can tell real from repop.
"Imitation is the greatest kind of flattery"

Yup.... I have an original Shelby Mustang as well.... I don't feel very much threatened by clones (although they don't do much for me). My car is in the SAAC registry so itsvalue is not threatened by the clones.

To each his own.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Great minds think alike Jack.. ,,I for one, appreciate any and all guys that reproduce parts , especially pump, air meter parts....
I was in the gasoline restoring business, working for the major oil companies in Ontario Canada from 1958 to 1980 and we bought original parts from the pump manufacturer's when available and had the rest made locally,, This has been going on for decades, anyone on this site that doesn't know or appreciate that, hasn't been in this hobby very long . But I also know that there are a lot of newbie's on here so we can excuse them... Thanks for all you have contributed to Jack Sim..

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Last time, I checked North America is not a country. North America is a continent comprised of twenty three countries.

No one is trying to control anyone. It's a mere discussion and it's normal for people to hold opposing views in the same thread. It's pretty simple...to hold differing views should not be seen as a need to create conflict.

Wes, you seem to feel it's alright to sell reproduction made in India/Argentina Red Indian signs as originals. As documented by the following thread.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=428537&page=1

I totally understand your quote and why you would take offense. Sorry, I wasn't trying to cut into your need to sell fakes as originals or your friends rights to make them.

Originally Posted By: Wes Hague

Most honest people license reproduction items and document such on the parts being sold. Permission must be obtained to manufacture the items and monies must be paid to those that it is due to. Someone owns the rights to items you are trying to make and profit from.

I for one am sick and tired of people trying to make it seem like that they write books, or sell parts, or make parts to help others. Nobody does anything for nothing. We live in a world where people do things for profit...it's money that they're after!!!

When someone expresses an opinion that's all it is; their opinion. Fact of life, some will agree and some will disagree with them. Those people have the right to hold and express their differing opinions. What, I don't get is; why it can't be done in a nice friendly manner without someone pooping on someones parade.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Mon Apr 28 2014 02:17 PM.

Dave GILL,
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Whoever you are in BC Canada, you haven't got a clue what your talking about, I suspect you are one of the newbies I referred to earlier.. The Red Indian sign your referring to was NEVER sold to anyone if you were to ever find out what your talking about.. it was returned to the guy that I bought it from and then returned to the guy he bought it from, so No ONE got taken by anything I sold.. ( ask Ron Gordon)..
If you really own gas pumps from the 20's to current check for reproduction parts on them, chances are they have them on or in them,, but you likely wouldn't know the difference anyway..
All the mumbo jumbo ( legalities ) you seem to quote are just that, bunch of *****...
All this goes back to the original thread on here about some guy wanting an original or reproduction "gooseneck" for an islander.. your opinion was that people shouldn't make replacement parts for anything,, what you need to do was " keep your opinion to yourself" and let people do what they want with there money.
If you think for one minute that your opinion is going to stop guys from making replacement parts for cars,pumps etc. your WRONG.. It's been going on long before you and will be after.. " Get a Life "

Last edited by Wes Hague; Mon Apr 28 2014 01:47 PM.

Wes.......
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Big 'ol frowny face that yet another good discussion on an interesting subject went into the pooper.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I note, it's not just an Atlas you need to study.

I never for a second said reproduction parts should not be made.

Those of us, that collect and restore pumps; see the value and need for reproduction parts. They are vital to the survival of our hobby. These recast goose necks are totally different in my opinion.

Wes, your word is of little value. You earned your reputation when you sold that Red Indian sign. It's true you can't turn back time. Anything you did, was to simply cover your tracks and attempt to create a smoke screen. Your lack of composure is evident in the above post. You can rant and rave all you like.

Just today, in an earlier post on this thread, you were championing everyone's right to do what they want. Now, you are trying to strip me of mine. It's just like you, to contradict yourself and hold yourself to a different standard.

Heed your own advice, and get a life!!

Dave GILL,
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Don't get off topic! (.)(.) and ( . )( . )

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved